Best First Handgun?

whanson_wi

If .22 were available in any quantity, I'd say a .22 revolver. That's not the case.

Today, I'd recommend a full-size 9mm. It's the least expensive and most available ammunition, and is easy on the hands in a full-size pistol.

tahunua001

usually I'll recommend a 9mm of some sort. I saw the end of 22LR for 2 years because when sandy hook happened, everybody went out and hoarded the 22 and then when gun hoarding began and the millions of inexperienced people went to "buy a handgun before they became illegal", all of the shop owners steered them towards 22lrs, leaving millions of rifles with no ammo and millions of people that buy it as soon as it hits shelves. it's not as bad as it was but nowhere close to the availability it was in 2012 and nowhere near the price. 9mm on the other hand snapped back in about 6 to 8 months and has been on shelves ever since, saw a little price spike for a while but now it's back to pre SH panic prices. for that reason I recommend 9mm as a commonly available round, reasonably priced, and decently suited to any task short of grizzly defense.

WV_gunner

For just shooting fun, a .22 single action can't be beat. I wish someone had let me in on that secret. I have an RG .22 and it's a great gun. Not fancy but I can hit a 16.9 oz bottle at 25 yards using cheap ammo.

TailGator

If defense is any consideration at all, I will recommend a 9 mm, because the first pistol is, at least for a time, an only pistol, at least for most folks. You still get a round that is reasonably priced for practice, with easily managed recoil, and decent effectiveness for defensive use.

If defense is absolutely not a factor, like someone who really just wants to learn to shoot targets but knows they wouldn't shoot an attacker even if they needed to, I would say a .22LR. But around here, .22LR ammo is still so scarce that I am not sure I could recommend it even in that circumstance.

Drm50

1st handgun

You can argue all you want over revolver/ semi and even calibre to a point.
The main thing is to have gun that is easy handling and more importantly
a gun that is accurate. If the new shooter can't hit anything, won't stay interested for long. A lot of small guns on the market are more of a novelty
that is used to detonate a cartridge. The most trouble free and dependable
would be a S&W revolver hands down, nobody who knows squat about handgun
would argue with this. 4" barrel at least. Buying piece of second rate junk is
waste of money and time. If I was to be asked, it would be SW m63 .

Sight Unseen

3 or 4 years ago (so pre-Sandy Hook) my buddy wanted to buy a handgun for his girlfriend. Now she was about 5'3" and about 110 pounds. She had almost no experience shooting firearms except for shooting my Ruger P89 and my buddies Marlin 60 one time. She only shot about 20-30 rounds of .22LR through the Marlin and handled it well but the 9mm was another story. She only shot 10 rounds through the Ruger and every time she fired it she literally jumped a few inches in the air. She couldn't hit a 2' by 2' target at 10 feet with the Ruger, she performed only slightly better with the Marlin.

My friend wanted to get her an LCP before and even after he saw her shoot our guns. Now I don't have a lot of experience with the LCP, but If she couldn't handle the recoil of a 9mm from a full-sized, heavy handgun without flinching that bad, how would she be able to shoot a 380 round from a tiny, notoriously snappy firearm? And to top it off the main reason she wanted it was because it was the two-tone model with engraving and she liked the looks of it.

Myself and the guy at the gun shop eventually talked both of them out of the LCP and into a Taurus PT-22 stainless with gold trim. She liked the looks of it but still wanted the LCP until even my friend agreed that the recoil from the 380 would be too much for her. Plus it was cheaper and 22LR was abundant so she would be able to practice more.

After all that she ended up not even getting the gun. She gave her information and waited the mandatory 3 days but something came up during that time and they no longer had the expendable income available for her to get a gun, so that sucked. And who knows, I could have been completely wrong about her not being able to handle the LCP, but I just don't think it was a good idea for a first handgun. At least for her anyway.

CajunBass

Pretty hard to beat a mid-sized Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger or Taurus 38/357, with 38 wadcutters, or 158 grain RNL rounds, and good ear protection, for introducing a person to handguns.

The ear protection is important. I suspect more people are scared off by the noise, which makes the recoil seem worse, than they are by the recoil itself.

Big and small stay away from. My wifes first husband gave her a Ruger Superblackhawk and sat back to watch the fun. I made the opposite mistake and let her try a Taurus 85. Both had more recoil than she knew how to handle at the time. A Taurus 66 was right where she wanted it. Eventually she worked her way up to a Smith & Wesson 29, turned to me and said "I thought you said these things kick?" with a grin as wide as I-95 on her face.

Start easy.

Sergeant

My 1st handgun was a military issued S&W M10 revolver. 4" heavy barrel 38spcl. I did later carry the M1911 and M9 Beretta, but that ole wheel gun was like a 1st love. When I pick up my civilian model it's like putting on a set of old comfortable shoes and I can shoot it like no body business in either hand.

passtime

I would have to say a 38 special revolver. Something in the order of a S&W model 10 or there abouts. 38 Special is a good all around caliber with manageable recoil. My son and daughter both were shooting one accurately when they were around nine years old. A person can grow into being a proficient shooter with the milder loads and then graduate onto the newer +P ammo for self defense and never have to purchase another firearm.

TXAZ

The one that fits your hand the best with recoil you feel is manageable.
Try out a dozen then decide.

tallball

I start any new shooter out with a 22 revolver, then a 32 revolver firing progressively heavier loads 32L, 32acp, 32 H&R. If they get past their comfort level, they just keep practicing with what they are comfortable with. If they can shoot 32 H&R comfortably, then I ask if they want to try a 4" 38 special. This is how I prefer to teach any man, woman, or child.

22 rifles are good, too. But a lot of rifles and shotguns can make the new shooter get a sore shoulder. Hundguns just make their hands move. If they are real gung ho, or preferably on a second session, I have them start trying semi-autos: 22, 32acp, then 380 and so on, whatever they're comfortable with.

I prefer the completely obvious functions of a revolver for a new shooter. We can both look at it and immediately see if there are rounds in it or not. I frankly feel safer that way. It works the same as their cap gun they had when they were six years old. And a revolver doesn't have a slide that can whack the new shooter's finger or thumb. Getting bruised on the shoulder by a 30-06 or getting their thumb bloodied by a hard metal slide does not give a new shooter a pleasant introduction to firearms. Nor does shooting a firearm that has too much recoil and makes them flinch.

I have taught maybe a dozen people to shoot over the years, and my methods have been effective.

After a few sessions they will have a pretty good idea of what sort of handgun they might want to purchase. If asked, I generally suggest a 38 special revolver if they are ccomfortable with that, and maybe a similar 22 revolver for practice or plinking.

Just my 2¢.

Deja vu

I love my Coonan but its not it. Id say some thing in 25 acp/32 acp/38 special because of the availability of 22lr.

CoonanWebSplash.jpg

pgdion

I think the cheaper and can shoot it more often has not been relevant for a couple years now. I can get 9mm for close to $20 / 100 and it's easy to find. I've seen .22 going for over $12/100 and that's if you can even find it. Until .22 starts to show up again ... 9mm my be a good starting point and one they won't outgrow besides. Maybe with luck we'll have .22 again by summer but I'm not holding my breath.

SauerGrapes

I started my wife on a j-frame with very light loads. Didn't have a 22 handgun at the time.

It would really depend on what the person wanted it for'

chris in va

I would recommend they take a Handgun 101 type class and then rent a few guns first. That way they get a little experience and can often decide for themselves what they need/want.

Absolutely the best possible advice available.

On a side note, my GF hates 22's and revolvers. She likes full sized 45's.:eek:

Sergeant

If I could afford a Coonan, I'd love to have one. My second gun was a ruger GP100 357 I felt very comfortable with, before moving onto a S&W model 29-3 44 mag silhouette. Moving up slowly I think is key to being comfortable shooting hand cannons. I do carry a Rossi 44 mag snub nose on ocassion. But I'm getting off subject.