Best First Handgun?

Blue Duck

I get asked this question pretty often by people who want to buy their first handgun, and usually don't have much shooting experience, often women. And these women are not necessarily wanting a gun to carry for CCW or even self defense, but a gun to start shooting with for fun as a first priority with maybe home defense as a secondary reason, but something they can also afford to shoot often.

It's a tough question to answer sometimes. But I usually always recommend a .22 caliber handgun to start with, because they can afford to shoot it a lot. I know that's how I started. Secondly, I usually suggest a revolver because they are easy to clean and maintain, and not as finicky, and also a simpler manual of arms to start off with. Just my opinion.

What's your's?

BarryLee

I would recommend they take a Handgun 101 type class and then rent a few guns first. That way they get a little experience and can often decide for themselves what they need/want.

I would recommend a .22, except the recent shortages would be rather frustrating for a new shooter. If we had normal ammo supplies/prices, then yeah, I'd suggest with a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark. They're fun, accurate (making shooting more fun), and inexpensive (also making it more fun).

I would recommend a revolver for someone who wanted a defensive handgun but was not otherwise inclined to train with it, but not as a 'fun' introduction to shooting. The sights are typically poor, and shooting in double-action is harder to master.

Nick_C_S

I'm a big fan of starting new shooters off with a revolver. They are less complicated and less intimidating. For visual people especially, it's easy for them to "see" how they work. Semi-autos are a bit more mysterious and can cause some to shy away. Also, revolver cartridges come in a broader spectrum of power levels (especially if one hand loads - like me).

For me, there are few better starting points than a Smith & Wesson K-frame. Fairly light, but not too light. Smooth trigger. Good sights. Just a good starting piece.

SIGSHR

I recommend a full size CZ with their Kadet 22 Conversion unit. Learn to shoot with the Kadet, the transition to centerfire is smooth and easy. If you can find the Ciener units for the Browning HP and Colt M1911, they are also a good choice.

tallball

I always recommend a revolver, too. It is a better choice for a brand-new shooter.

I have been shooting for about 35 years, and I still always start my shooting sessions by warming up with a 22 revolver.

skizzums

me and my wife went through three semi's before we actually found a gun we could shoot. a .38spl revolver. I have since went back to semi's, but I wish I had started off with the revolver in the first place. wife still refuses to carry anything but wheels

Kosmo K

For guys, I usually recommend a 686 for the same reasons. For women I usually recommend a model 19 or 66. All in 4 inch. .38 is a good starting place, then when they feel comfortable they can step up to .357 mag. Most Women are more capable than they think. Back in the day I had several women in our Class shooting .44 mags by the third session. YMMV. :)

Bella

This might be blasphemous, but for a young first time shooter I prefer a single action revolver. It seems to have a bit of safety advantage.

UncleEd

One hang-up in recommending a .22 revolver is that extraction can sometimes be sticky/difficult. The expansion of the brass seems to be all over the place besides taking in consideration the variances in chambers.

Often times, even with quality Smiths, it can be a bear to eject the .22 brass, sometimes needing a good whack on the ejector rod. I think this can discourage a newbie.

For this reason I recommend a .38 with light target loads, be they round nose or wadcutter.

Abraxxas

I'm with the small revolver school of thought as well, for all the reasons mentioned above. And if they want one to carry, a small lightweight revolver. They may not intend on carrying right away, but after they have it and get comfortable with it that can change. I've had people who didn't want to carry end up deciding to get their CCW after they were comfortable shooting just because they now have a gun, and because it can be a great learning experience.

I recommend a .22 as a second handgun, besides the ammo shortage factor being thrown in there now. A .22 is an ideal first gun as well, I just think that as a first time handgun owner, spending money on something than can be used/carried as a SD gun first is a wise choice. Buying a reasonably priced .22 as a second, very affordable and fun way to practice also makes a lot of sense to me.

TimSr

I recommend a small caliber (.22) revolver as well for all of the reasons mentioned. I recommend a 4-6" barrel which is easier to shoot well, and builds confidence. I taught my wife with a Ruger single Six, but a double action with a swing out cylinder would have been preferable for the loading and unloading.

Consider the first gun to be "bait" to entice her into the sport. Features necessary for CCW guns, and home defense guns can put a damper on the fun part, which is all you are worried about at this point.

How many of people really use the first gun they ever purchased as their CCW choice? Most of those guns area specific choice for that purpose.

Abraxxas

A fair amount of people who come to me for advice selecting their first handgun are interested in having a handgun they can carry for SD. Some of them aren't even interested in guns, they just want something they can learn to be proficient with and able to use, God forbid they ever have to. Money is tight these days for a lot of people, some would like multiple handguns but cant swing the cost so they would like something that can fill more than one pair of shoes.

There is no answer that is perfect for everyone, the intended purpose and use plays a big factor, as well as funds people have available to them. I just generally find that more often or not, folks fall into one of the two categories above once I feel them out.

I just like to explain the pros and cons of the multitude of choices, and help the person make the most informed decision they can for themselves :)

redhologram

I would also do as BarryLee advised and point them towards further training before they purchase a handgun. When I see/hear someone wanting to buy a gun who doesn't have much experience with them, I instantly worry about their safety and the safety of others.

I, personally, as a female, have absolutely no love for revolvers (I respect them and will shoot them but do not prefer them) and I hate the assumption that a revolver is the best gun to start a woman out on. (Hence why a person should take a class and then choose the best gun that works for them).

I've only shot a .22 once but I do agree it's a great caliber for a first time shooter. I would also suggest a longer, heavier barrel to reduce any felt recoil.

My first 1911 was actually for range fun. It was a SA Stainless Target 1911 in 9mm. That was actually one of my most fun guns to shoot I ever owned. The weight and size kept the muzzle flip down and the trigger was fabulous. I even taught my then 13 yr old son to shoot with that gun.
I still regret selling that gun!!

All in all, direct them to adequate training and let them choose their own gun. Be there to assist but let them ultimately make the decision.

Cheapshooter

And these women are not necessarily wanting a gun to carry for CCW or even self defense, but a gun to start shooting with for fun as a first priority with maybe home defense as a secondary reason, but something they can also afford to shoot often.

With those 3 of the 4 reasons, a 22 rimfire makes perfect sense. Especially if you consider that the ammo shortage is not going to last, and 22 ammo is starting to show up more often.
If the SD criteria is higher on the list, a 38 Spcl. revolver, or 9MM auto would be a better choice.

TimSr

I hate the assumption that a revolver is the best gun to start a woman out on.

I'm not picking on women. I start ANYONE out on a revolver. Its easier for me to instruct someone on a revolver first.