Best Farm Shotgun?

bamafan4life

Okay im stupid. I just figured that since more single barrel shotguns have been used of farms then any other gun (im sure yall all remember grand dadys old iver johnson or sears and roebuck) But i guess its time for a change. I was just saying a single barrel can be had cheaper than most other guns. itll fire when you need to. (and for god sakes its a 12 gauge its possible to miss but not likely) And in the event you do miss i said to carry a hand gun. its just a suggestion. but of corse a pump shotgun is the best choice. mines just some thing differnt.

halfmile

870 or mossberg, whichever you find for low price.

Otherwise, what you already have no matter what it is.

So get a fender scabbard for that Krieghoff.

HM

Brigadier

I know some old farmers that can fire and reload a break action single shot shotgun faster than most mall ninjas can cycle their Paul Blart Limited Edition pump guns. Beware the man with only one gun, he knows how to use it.

Uncle Buck

"I know some old farmers that can fire and reload a break action single shot shotgun faster than most mall ninjas can cycle their Paul Blart Limited Edition pump guns. Beware the man with only one gun, he knows how to use it. "

My grandfather used to say this when us kids where looking at getting another gun. LMBO! This is true in so many ways.

MosinM38

I guess I never use a shotgun ;) (I live on a ranch/farm in MT).

Scoped .22, .223 bolt actions, or for close-in=handguns is about it.

I'd say in general though a Mossberg 500 is about typical of a good farm shotgun. Reliable, dependable, and not that much more expensive than a singleshot (If bought used).

dalecooper51

Don't know how many of you live on a small ranch or small farm, but what shotgun have you discovered as being best for farm work? I have my own opinions and experience with this, as you can see in the video link below. The Super 90 and 870 are favorites at this point.

Hopefully, I'm not the only person who has discovered alternative uses for our favorite defensive shotguns! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45.../1/GlNwaMX-QBU

Remembered your video when I saw this today...

NORTH HAVEN — A man who allegedly used a shotgun to try to get rid of a tree limb in his backyard has been arrested.

Antonio Chiaia, 74, of 9 Cricket Court, was arrested at his home Saturday morning after a neighbor reported he was discharging a shotgun in his yard, Capt. James Merrithew said.

Chiaia told police he could not reach the tree limb with a saw, so he was trying to remove it by shooting at it. The branch is still there, Merrithew said.

The gun, a double-barrel 12-gauge, was seized, and Chiaia was charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm and second-degree reckless endangerment. He is scheduled to appear July 16 in Superior Court in Meriden.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/07/07/blotter/doc4a5322e59ccdd984252010.txt

Redneckrepairs

I prefer a cheap pump with screw in chokes to pitch in the pickup and forget . When i think about a shotgun and take one its either an 1100 or an a5. When i hunt with out of towners for upland game ill drag out a fairly uncommon configuration of a citori superlight . The one that sets in the bedroom is a 20" rem 1100 with a tube on it . Momma is small and it makes buckshot easier for her .

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Imagine a pre WWII Ford Farm All tractor with a piece of stovepipe wired to the engine cover. The forward end of the pipe had been flattened by being driven over, the other end had a split piece of garden hose around the opening to minimize the scarring.

In that pipe was a antique H&R 16 gauge with a brown patina replacing the bluing.

Driving the tractor was a much younger version of me. The little box next to my steel seat held a few tools and a small variety of ammo, usually a couple 8s for doves, some 6s for rabbits, chucks, squirrels and ringnecks, and some 2s or 3s for geese or larger vermin.

Best farm shotgun?

Darn straight....

Positrack

I used to use Grandpa's OLD double-barrel 12ga. until I got my 870. Now the SxS is in semi-retirement, and the 870 is the general use farm gun. If I need a little more range, I have a scoped Remington 552 (.22) loaded with CCI Stingers. The .22 is no .30-06, but I can really put the bullet where I want with that gun, and 99 times out of 100, it's all I need. Plus, it's cheap and relatively quiet to shoot.

I like the 870 for general farm use because it's dead reliable, it'll take abuse, and it will reliably shoot absolutely any shell ever made in 12ga. The versatility and reliability of the pump gun are the biggest selling points to me. I keep it loaded with 2 shells of #4 buck first for 'coons, coyotes, and 'possum, and 2 00 buck behind that for more dangerous critters. If I had to pick only one gun to keep on the farm, the 870 would probably be it, though I must admit, I use the .22 nearly as much. The .22 is not nearly as versatile though.

buckweet

we use an old stevens single shot 16ga. around here...
does everything we ask of it..
also have a mossy 835 turkey.....for turkeys....:eek:

weet

TxGun

Dave McC

Imagine a pre WWII Ford Farm All tractor with a piece of stovepipe wired to the engine cover. The forward end of the pipe had been flattened by being driven over, the other end had a split piece of garden hose around the opening to minimize the scarring.

In that pipe was a antique H&R 16 gauge with a brown patina replacing the bluing.

Driving the tractor was a much younger version of me. The little box next to my steel seat held a few tools and a small variety of ammo, usually a couple 8s for doves, some 6s for rabbits, chucks, squirrels and ringnecks, and some 2s or 3s for geese or larger vermin.

Best farm shotgun?

Darn straight....

---------------------------------------------------------

That's a cool image! Old school Americana, and I like it!

Uncle Buck

Question For DaveMcC?

That sounds like the set-up Reggie used when he had us kids out mowing the hay fields. Two dollars and hour, the old Farm All (I think it was a 194?) looked like it was needing paint job and kicking and sputtering along... I swear the old tractor would just about die when-ever it got with-in shooting range of a woodchuck. Just pop the woodchuck and the tractor started running correctly!

Did you ever work for Reggie Kenyon up there in Rhode Island when you were a kid? :) Memories :)

Farmland

I would have to say around my area it is the ever popular single shot shotgun. I can't think of a farm that doesn't have one in the barn or another out building. I have one in my barn though it is showing some rust of late. It is amazing how much of the elements these things can take and still work.

You do get pretty good at loading them real fast, at least I do because the shells are always in my pocket, I just never thought it was a great idea having a loaded shotgun around where some kids can get into it.

fast-eddie

Mossburg

I'd go with a Mossburg 500 in 12 guage, with the extra slug berrel included. It's a great price for a versitile shotgun.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Never been in RI, Buck. But farm life has some universal truths.

One is, having a gun handy is a very good thing. Did you ever see a shotgun behind a kitchen door?

Thoreau wrote of a plowman with an old musket strapped to his plow for chucks and such. I wonder how the mules or oxen liked that thing going off near them.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Best one is any working shotgun that is available, flavor and gauge are irrelevant if you don't have one and irrelevant to whatever is on the other end if you do have one.

Fleming-Eli

On my family's farm, we've always had 2 Ted Williams 20 gauge pump shotguns. We got them new in the Mid Eighties and still have them. They are the best guns I've ever used!