Best Defensive/Carry knife

pete80

Spyderco Delica
$39.99
Carry it every single day, work, school, play. It's lighter than a feather, sharper than a pencil!

Andygold

My everday carry is a Spyderco Police model with aluminum scales. I also have the same knife in steel, and also a steel Worker model. I too have gone through airport security with this model without raising any eyebrows. I cannot agree with some of the other posters that Spyderco makes the BEST knives. I have worked a magnetometer post on and off over the last 11 years and have seen thousands of knives come through. I have a little familiarity with some of the custom knifemakers, and have seen some impressive pieces. As to a commercial brand though, I once had a Cold Steel folder (don't remember which model)with a hammered and folded non-serrated blade (San Mai III Steel, Kraton scales or something like that)that I can truly say was the sharpest knife I have ever handled. When you have to expend a great amount of attention opening and closing a knife to prevent deep razor type cuts, you know it is sharp. My Police Models although sharp, are closed without any thought given to it. They don't come close to the amount of damage that Cold Steel could cause. Also, the Cold Steel out of the box could be used to shave with. Back then I was walking around with bald spots on my arms from showing off this knife to Co-workers :)

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
If you like the Delica - Look at a steel Endura, the Delica's big brother. I think it may be the BEST of the Spyderco line.

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Covert Mission

The Spyderco Wegner is nice... can do double duty as a field hunting knife, for which it was designed, but i think it would do fine as a fighter too, although the AFCK might be better (but less versatile).

I like the older version of the Sebenza too, by Chris Reeve, but he changed the shape of the scales and I don't like now. Check out some of Pat Crawford's designs too, if you have the $cratch. Microtechs are nice for production custom.... superb fit and finish.

I too, have been somewhat disappointed in looking at Emerson's production knives. Too much side-to-side play in the blade, for one thing.

I have a super custom damascus tanto sheath knife....really thick backbone, almost to the tip. Quite a stabber... the samurai used their tantos to penetrate bamboo body armor. it's too nice to carry though. Cotta check out the ceramic knives...

Anyone have some more good knife site URL's to post Here? So many knives, so little $$. I see so many in the knife mags that i can only dream about.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The Wegner has just been discontinued...
So what will happen is when they are all sold out they are GONE. There is a similar model called the ProGrip. It costs less and is a very good knife. Toggle lock instead of Liner like the Wegner.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Axel Yup

My daily carry knife outside the home is a Crawford Kasper Fighting Folder (KFF). It has a deep finger cutout which allows for a secure grip for thrusts even in the natural grip. The blade is wide with plenty of razor sharp belly for slashes. I did have Pat Crawford add 1/2" of extra unground edge near the pivot just in case the knife folds up accidently. This mod would spare a cut to my index finger.

I carry the knife without a clip in an Inside Pocket Knife Holster http://www.magills.com for total concealment. Once on the website click on "Our Complete List of Items" and then "Concealment Holsters." Scroll to the bottom of "Titles" and at the bottom of the list you will find the knife holster. Click on it for a picture and description.

I also feel that if you carry a folder which is not suitable for stabbing that you are greatly limiting the defensive ability of the knife. IMHO, thrusts are going to be your most effective fight stoppers.

At home I carry a Polkowski Scorpion. 4.5" of double ground blade in a nifty IWB Kydex sheath.

Check out Bob Kasper's site for info on both of these knives as well as others which he has designed.

http://www.ghca.org/KFK.html

I also have a Gaunt on order from Al Polkowski.

Axel

[This message has been edited by Axel Yup (edited October 02, 1999).]

SB

Wegners are discontinued?! Are you sure about that? For a time, there was a cult following for those things over in bladeforums. I thought they were wonderful folders. What a shame.

Also, according to Spyderco's website, the Progrip is a lockback. Is there a toggle lock version coming out? Anybody got a picture of a toggle lock?

Just curious.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited October 02, 1999).]