Best compact 9mm non-polymer

Prodigalshooter

I'm interested in adding a pistol as noted above, been looking at
CZ, Ruger, Taurus. What else am I overlooking? Well, I guess Kahr, but I have not seen any of those in my area shops, so I don't know if these are nice or pos (no offence to Kahr owners).
It's not legal for me to carry concealed here, so that's not the issue. I just like the idea of a 10 rd mag in a small package.
I'd like to keep the price in the $500 or less range.
So?

DougB

CZ75 PCR (compact with alloy frame). I like mine a lot. There is a new replacement version coming out that is slightly different (a little blockier looking, with a laser/light mounting rail). I don't think I'd trade my PCR for the new model, but I'm sure either are good guns.

Doug

SgtGunner

CZ75B Compact, the satin nickel finish is too pretty. This is actually my wifes gun but she lets me shoot it once in a while.

Zip disk added to pic for scale

cz75.jpg

22lovr

Hey Sgtgunner:

Is that CZ75 compact a DA/SA? Or.....all SA? Can't say that I've ever seen one before. I've shot a good friend's full sized CZ .40 cal and was I ever impressed. CZ looks like a good choice for IDPA.

Russ

The Kahr MK series is really nice. If you want a very compact gun, that's what I would get. Just over 5 inches long and solid stainless steel. They weigh in around 23 to 24 oz.

They are really great guns. If you want a 9mm, the MK9 is well worth looking at. I bought an MK40 (almost same size as the 9mm) in June of 2000 for $399 from the now defunct B & B Sales in North Hollywood. They put them and the MK9's on sale down from $499 and they went fast. You may be able to find one in your price range if you look if you don't mind used. New ones tend to be $550 or more. The problem you have is they are 6 or 7 mag capacity.

Check out www.kahr.com They list dealers and if you E mail them, they can give you information. They are good about getting back.

Otherwise, when I lived in the PRK (which was a little over 6 months ago), Turners used to put the CZ75 compact on sale for $419 now and then. You can only get blue ones in the PRK. The Nickel version shown by SgtGunner is not on the PRK's approved list. The Baby Eagle is nice too. Turner's also has sales on these from time to time and had pretty good prices. Their site is www.turners.com They have a weekly ad of specials.

I don't like Taurus. I had one once and it was a major POS. Some people like them but I will never have another one.

Tropical Z

If you don't seriously consider a FEG P9RZ your'e crazy.
All milled 10 round 9mm that is as good as anything else out there.

Attachments

• feg p9rz.jpg
    feg p9rz.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 224

VVG

Not to be a stick in the mud, but what are your requirements for "best?" Most reliable? Accurate? Light weight? Compact size? Capacity? On a budget? SA and manual safety, DA/SA and decocker, or both?
Handle +P? Range use? Durability?

ImJustRick

Forget the Rugers

Hey-

I carry a P95, and although it's a great shooter (reliable, easy to maintain, eat whatever I feed it) it weighs just a little less than a Howitzer.

I'm lucky that I live in a place that's cold enough to wear layers most of the time so I can conceal it. I love the piece, but it is NOT compact, and all the Rugers are the same size.

-R

Jeff OTMG

Either a SIG P239 or P225 NIB, whichever fits your hand better. A used P228 is under $500 as well. Of the guns you listed that CZ Compact is a good little pistol.

Coltdriver

Take the time to search out an FN Herstal BDA9 Compact.

It is like a mini hi power with a Double Action/Single Action and a decocker.

Very nice, not too small and a great three finger grip.

If you want smaller, find a Kahr MK9. They are very nice, reliable and about as small as a 9mm gets.