Best and Worst Purchases

Kvon2

Best: CZ 527 in 7.62x39. this thing is so much fun to shoot and affordable to do so.

Worst: Rossi Circuit Judge. It's fun to shoot but really expensive and not the most accurate with .45colt. I get bored at the range with it because the .410 shells are fun but you can only pattern a board for so long.

pgb205

So far only had one gun. S&W MP 2.0.
Definitely a potential worst gun that I've ever bought. Failure to feed after every round, slingshotting doesn't work, slide closing on empty mag.
Cleaned it multiple times, still no go. Currently back to Smith and Wesson repair center, while I look at other options such as Glock, Sig Sauer and possibly Walther.

Buckeye!

Best was my first Glock it was a Gen 2 19 .. even though I traded it a few years back .. That purchase influenced me alot ... Not only with getting me hooked on the Glock platform.. but on polymer pistols .... About 3 years ago I replaced my Gen 2 19 with another ...

Worse handgun purchase was a ... I honestly can't think of one .... But I did have a S&W 915 that was a sweet , looking pistol .. That shot absolutely horrible..
I really didn't have alot of money in it and sold it to my buddy with a slight loss .. Full disclosure of it's inaccuracy ... He never shot it .. he traded for a S&W 49 .. at a gunshow ..

Last edited:

lefteye

My Remington 700 BDL .270 Win (left hand) is superb! I glass bedded it in a Brown Precision stock. I've taken several trophy bucks in a few states with it including a terrific 5X5 mule deer at 400+ yards. The Remington 700 is FAR from garbage if my experience during the last 40 years is not also garbage.

Edited to remove an incorrect statement.

Last edited:

surg_res

Hmmm. After some 100+ odds and ends, came up with a few in each category.

BEST: scattergun SBE II in 12ga, rifle SCAR 16s v win 70 extreme weather in 308, handgun sig 226 mk 25 in 9mm v SW 686 in 357 (ought to be two categories).

WORST: scattergun Rem 870 pump that frosted with rust after each trip to the duck blind, rifle Ruger mini-30 that i couldn't find mags for and grouped 5", handgun - some creepy eastern block automatic that i picked up as part of an estate that shot some 9mm variant

lefteye

Rust on a Remington 870 is NOT Remington's fault. I have several 870s and NONE have ever shown even a tiny spot of rust. Of course I have always removed the shotgun from the case upon returning home and wiped it down with a soft cloth and then a RIG Rag.

TXAZ

Best Handgun: Sig Sauer MasterShop P226 All Around. An incredible shooter, very well balanced, fast to back on target.

Best Rifle: Barrett M107A1, amazing at 600 or 1000 yards, a true blast with tracers at night over a still body of water, there's nothing like it.

Worst: AK-47 pistol. Looks great in pictures, the balance is terrible, accuracy stinks, and it's WAY TOO LOUD, even for an AK.

natman

Worst: Every Rossi I ever bought. At one time I had five of them, pistols, rifles and a shotgun. Crudely made, finish was fair at best, never had one that was accurate. Sold all the long guns and kept the 22 revolver so I could pop off the side plate and look at the internals in the unlikely event I ever got the urge to buy another.

Best: Anschutz, BSA Martini International, Voere Titan, various Miroku reproductions of Winchesters, Steyr.

A special mention goes to my JC Higgins Model 50 bolt action in 30-06. Sears sold these in the early 50s. They use FN commercial Mauser actions, chrome lined High Standard barrels and are extremely accurate. Best of all because of the Sears connection they were cheap, at least before word got around on the internet. From a quality per $ standpoint they can't be beat.

Ricklin

Agree on the Sears!!

I too have a model 50, mines in .270. It is far and away the finest rifle I own. Not bad for a department store mutt.

I traded a Colt King Cobra straight across for it. This was years ago, in fact I had only owned the King Cobra for a year or o, and I bought it new.

I have since refinished the stock, and replaced the scope with a Bushnell 3 X 9 Elite.
This one will stay with me.

SauerGrapes

Best purchase was ??????
Worst was a Ford Fiesta tin can. :p
Just thought of it. Best purchase was 3 8lb jugs of Universal Clays for $.40 on the dollar from a guy getting out of reloading.
Gun wise is a High Standard mod103 for $200 with original box and papers.

Ky Bob

The Best:

Remington 541 .22 bolt action rifle, Colt 6"Diamondback .22, Colt .22 Woodsman.

The Worst:

Taurus PT 111 (I think)

FNS-40

Best is my FNS-40
Worst is my savage 30-06 only because it came with a pencil barrel which gets to hot. Should've researched more and got a HB.

Dragonflydf

Worse deal was a Marlin model 70, magazine fed 22 rifle, jamb o matic first class

Best is hard to say,
Lend lease Dec 1941 Garand for $600, NRA sales 1903 for $400, Bring back matching number K98 for $299, IBM M1 Carbine with IBM stamped and dated barrel for $500.