Best american made auto??

caz223

I was just reading a thread at shooters, and I think the gist of it is on 9/11 this year, for 'anniversary' some people are gonna ccw american guns for a day.
I just realized I don't have any american autos.
All of my revolvers are american, but my autos are H&K usp compact (.45), a SIG 2340 (357SIG), and a CZ (9mm).
Now I have to have an american auto.
Who makes the best one?
I'm looking to get one in January, and the budget is around $500.00.
But it needs to be as good/better than my current picks.
And hopefully in a caliber I'm not already bored with.
My current caliber choices are .356 TSW, .380, 38 super, 9x21, anything I don't already have, and that's worth having.
I dislike .40, would rather have another 9mm.
***EDIT***
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having an older smith 10mm auto, just for something to do.
Are they in the $500 range?

Last edited:

caz223

Already got a .45, but a 10mm colt delta, or a DW pointman major???
Good luck finding a good one for $500.00.
I didn't say it had to be new...

VVG

I purchased a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special 9 (very compact, 3" barrel) for CCW and also looked at their pistols in the next sizes up. I didn't "Buy American}- I bought it because it was the best fit for my requirements. They look good; they have good triggers and sights; and based on the CS9, area accurate. They have an "economy" series, like the 908 (3.5" barrel 9mm) and 910 (full-size) for around $400. The Tactical series pistols run $500 and up, and the Performance Center pistols are semi-custom and more like $1,000. They have 15 models of 9mm pistols.

I also own a CZ 85 combat, and their is no comparison between the S&W and CZ in terms of workmanship - and you can buy a S&W 910 for nearly the same price. I wish I had!

There are still some knuckle draggers "boycotting" Smith & Wesson, which ignores the fact that S&W is a major subcontractor of forgings and castings to many other U.S. manufacturers, and that this "boycott" only hurts the people who work there, since the prior UK owners bugged out. Smith & Wesson is still one of the top three in supplying Law Enforcement Agencies.

caz223

Alright, a compact smith in 9mm. (Or a used 10mm smith.)
I have two of their revolvers, and can't say I'm unhappy with either.
A circa '91 586 6", and a circa '99 657 7 1/2".
Excellent triggers.

Handy

The 2 Ruger .45 models have often been refered to in reviews as the authors' favorite DA .45. They are not elegant, but they are not $500. And they are super reliable.

1911's always just seem like a crap shoot. You never know what sort of odd-ball feeding/reliability problem you're going to get from even people like Kimber.

?

if you want a true American made auto, then I would go with Ruger, they make nice handguns, and are one of the few true American makers that make a quality pistol for 500 or less

now if you wanted to spend 4000 or less...... the list would go on and on

9x19

Best American Made Auto?

Ford!

no, wait...

Chevy!

no, wait...

Ford! Definitely FORD!

('cause that's what I have)

:D

cratz2

I think my two Colts and my one Kimber are the only autos I own made in the US of A.

Several Springfields (Forgings in Brazil)
Taurus (Completely in Brazil)
Several EAAs (Italy)
CZ (Check)
Glock (Austria)

Maybe the KelTec. ???

kdmoore

A colt 380 would be my choice. Looks like a caliber you'd like, nothing like a shrunk down 1911. And if you look long enough, you can usually find a used one in the mid 400's.

Your other caliber choices seem to put you over 500. My other suggestion is a 1911 in 38 super or 9x21 and forget about the money. You'll save it in the long run, as you'll be reloading for sure:p

Stand by....

Kermit

OF the mostly American guns I've tried, I like the Colts, Springfields & Kimbers the best. The S&W's & Rugers just don't feel right in my hands (YMMV)

cheygriz

VVG,

If boycotting S&W, (And Ruger) makes one a knuckle dragger, then I'm very proud to be a knuckle dragger!

Somehow, I've just never been comfortable with spending my money on a product made by people who want to take away my freedom. To me, buying a Smith or Ruger is like supporting Rosie (the oinker) O'Donnell or Sarah Brady.

I don't buy anyhing made by Levi Strauss either.

Tim Whittaker

The best American made Semiauto is, hands down, the SIG 239. They can be had for about $525 around here. And made right in Exeter NH ...........Whit

Brian Busch

The best made semiauto production pistol made in the USA is the SVI Infinity line, period. But you ain't gettin one for $500 thats for sure.

The best value semiauto production pistol made in the USA is probably a Ruger (blech).

Doubt you'll find a 10mm for under $500. Maybe a S&W 1006; or an AMT Javelina (GARBAGE). For a little more you can get a used Colt Delta.

Penman

Take a look at the S&W 3913. Flat, compact, and good handling. Add a Hogue grip to complete the package.

Dogger

Lordy! That is an easy question! In post-911 America the hands down best choice, all things considered, is a Colt 45 Auto M1911.

Why?

Because it is American made (the patriotism thing)
Because it is a Colt (the history thing)
It shoots a .45 ACP (THE American handgun cartridge)
It served us faithfully through two world wars, Korea, Viet Nam, and a host of other places (God Bless the Greatest Generation, and all our other warriors)
It was designed by Browning (Amen!)
Despite what you hear, they are almost always 100% reliable out of the box. (At least every one I have shot)