Best .40 S&W pistol for Concealed Carry?

230therapy

In the process of getting my CHL. Will be purchasing a pistol for CC in the next couple of months. I currently have a GLock 22 that I keep bedside and use as a hunting back up, and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a G27 for CC, but I'm not sure what some other good option might be and why. I'm also considering a Kahr Mk40 and a Taurus pt140 millennium pro.
What do you think is the best .40 for CC and why? what are some Pros and cons to weigh out and narrow down my decision?

Do you already know how to shoot a handgun proficiently? A small gun is not the best option for learning to shoot.

A Glock 22 is just fine for concealed carry if you carry it in a holster with forward cant and dress around the gun. However, a shorter gun from bottom of the magazine to the top of the slide is easier to hide. An overall height of 5" seems to be the magic number.

The Glock 27 is very easy to carry. The advantages of the G27 are that it will fit in your Glock 22 holster and it can use the same magazines. You can add an A&G Grip Adapter to provide full support for your hand. I really like this setup. Switch back to the nine round magazines when you need discretion. The gun is very reliable with either nine or 15 round magazines.

The Glock 27 is also very accurate. You'll find the felt recoil to be slightly reduced (at least compared to older Glock 22's prior to Gen4).

Add night sights and a Ghost 3.5# connector and you're good to go.

Last edited:

AlBundy

Those 2 words don't go well together. Personally I wouldn't go much smaller then a Glock 23. If I were you I would probably just stick to the Glock 22 and use the money for something else. I have a full size .40 and it's VERY easily concealable for me, and I'm 5'10" 130lbs ...

NWCP

Here's another vote for the Kahr PM40. If the .40 is a bit much for you on recoil their PM9 is a great little deep conceal pistol. Mine has been reliable from day one. You'll be hard pressed to find a smaller 40 that's light and very concealable. I carry IWB, however there are pocket holsters made for them. The recoil on such a small package is something you'll have to try for yourself to determine if 40 S&W, or 9mm best suits your needs.

Chilli9880

A big +1 for the S&W M&P 40c. I have great experience with it and I've shot and carried the Glock 27, so I can at least compare it to that. So, I say, compared to the Glock 27, my biased opinion is the S&W M&P 40c. For me, the kickers are it holds one more round and has a much better grip. Try it out for yourself next time you go look.

HKD

I'm caring a Ruger SR40C and really love it. Don't have a single bad thing to say about it yet. Feels very comfy in my hand and shoots very well.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk