Best .40 S&W pistol for Concealed Carry?

theblakester

In the process of getting my CHL. Will be purchasing a pistol for CC in the next couple of months. I currently have a GLock 22 that I keep bedside and use as a hunting back up, and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a G27 for CC, but I'm not sure what some other good option might be and why. I'm also considering a Kahr Mk40 and a Taurus pt140 millennium pro.
What do you think is the best .40 for CC and why? what are some Pros and cons to weigh out and narrow down my decision?

Nathan

I like the Kahr P40. Pretty small, very light and is very easy to control in rapid fire. The trigger could be a bit better and a thumb safety would be nice, but those complaints are minor. Mine has the black DLC coating. It is nice.

Also, I would think a CCO type 1911 with an AL frame and ramped barrel would be nice, but I'm thinking this would be a custom build.

grumpa72

What is the best car for me to drive to work? ;) I applaud you for getting a concealed carry license/permit but asking what is best from this board, or any other, is like asking my first question. It depends - it ALL depends on how well YOU shoot it, how comfortable YOU are with it, how it fits YOUR hand, how it fits YOUR budget, etc. No two answers will be the same.

I would really like to see a sticky about the caliber wars (which is better, 9mm, .40 or .45?), which is better, a semiauto or revolver, and which gun is best for me.

added Seeing the post below, I realized that some advice is better than no advice. I, too, like single stacks for concealed carry. I started with the S&W Chiefs Special in 9mm but now carry a Colt Commander in .45 acp. Both conceal really nicely due to thinness, even in summertime. For those very few occasions when I wear a suit to a function, I carry a Colt Pocket Hammerless in .380. Ultra thin and easily concealed in a suit not cut for a gun, and reliable.
grumpa72

Last edited:

CWKahrFan

I've found, over time, I really prefer single stacks for carry. The difference in thickness doesn't seem like much but I've found it to be an important factor and don't feel undergunned... 7 or 8 rds. is enough for me. I like all the Kahrs and the Walther PPS. I'd pass on Taurus.

I also found I prefer the "three finger" compacts over the "two finger" ones... (Especially considering the power of .40)... But lots of folks love the Kahr PM and CM size... depends on your preference.

chadk7

I have switched to single stacks too. Not that carrying a double stack is hard to do though.

I have a pt 111 pro that I used to cc. It has never malfunctioned once and was really easy to carry. I have since switched to a different gun but not because the Taurus had anything wrong with it.

I would also check out the m&p .40c if I was you.

Unistat76

I'm a skinny guy (5'9", 150lbs) and I've been carrying a G23 IWB and OWB for a few years. I've never had any problems concealing it or dealing with the weight (get a good stiff belt or two!) My cousin (about the same size as me) has a G27 and while it is probably easier to CC, it is much harder to shoot well, in mine and his opinion.

Since I have no problem carrying the G23, I've never even bothered investigating a single stack for myself. I have another relative (father's cousin) who carries a Walther PPS in .40 S&W in a CrossBreed holster. He is over 6' and large framed, it conceals very well for him.

TunnelRat

I carry a SIG P229. Many people will tell you that you can't carry anything larger than a matchbox and it has to be lighter than a feather. With the right holster you can conceal carry pretty much anything out there. Go try a bunch of stuff and figure out what you like then worry about carrying it.

SheepDog4985

Hey Unistat, how far are you from Westland?

I've been seriously contemplating a G23 or 19, Xdm's 3.8 also for CC and HD, Im still in the dilema but I have a feeling one will speak louder to me than the others soon :D

Mrgunsngear

I'm a big fan of slim 9mm guns but, for me at least, most slim 40s are just not as fun to shoot... For 40s, I don't like to go smaller than something like a M&Pc, G23, XDm compact, ect... My vote goes to the G23; the 23 and 19 just 'feel' right to me.
IMAG0807.jpg

Chuck M

I'm a 1911 fan but for a good ammo count, good size, and outstanding track record I say Glock...G23 to be specific. The real issue becomes the holster. I have three Galco king tuks, so I'd like to say the leather/kydex IWB mixes are a good option. I haven't had the chance to throw a Raven Phantom on but i have tried a couple of Cane and Derby holsters. Great design, strong, very comfortable, resonable price, and order time is not 6 months.

Falcon642

I can't believe no on has mentioned Springfield yet with their XD subcompact. XD's are great guns, and if you watch you can find the subcompact for under $400 now. Hard to argue with that.

http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=2

If you want a single stack, Springfield just announced their XDS which is a single stack subcompact. Right now its only in .45 ACP, but give it a year and there will be a 9mm and a .40 version as well.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/01/19/introducing-the-springfield-xds-pistol/

Chuck M

Falcon you are right, and did leave it out on purpose. I never really got into the SA XD or XDm. I have shot a few but was never sold, but when it comes to those prices side by side it's kind of hard to beat the facts.

I'm a stubborn person so I usually stay with what I trust even if I pay a little more. At the end of the day if it make you happy then it's a good buy.

ScottRiqui

At $1000+, I don't think I could argue for it being the "best", but I really like my Springfield EMP. Single-stack so it's nice and slim, and I'm comfortable with 8+1 capacity. The build quality is great, and I like the layout of the controls on a 1911 for a self-defense gun.

B.N.Real

M&P40c-tough enough to handle the cartridge forever and a grip very well designed too.Also,a very well built handgun.

dabigguns357

My wife loves and carries her Glock 23
372065_100000289156864_1983821620_n.jpg

I however like something bigger,they fit my hand and i shoot them well,not to mention i can conceal most anything,so it's no biggy.

Glock 22 .40 cal,H&K usp .40 cal,S&W 410 .40 cal,Sig pro 2340 .40 cal
105_0181.jpg

fivepaknh

I have no problem concealing my XD40 sc IWB even with the extended mag. With the right holster adjusted to the right angle (Desantis Sof-Tuck) it disappears. If the extended mag is a problem I just use the ten round mag with a Peirce grip extension and it's even smaller.

Last edited:

kinoons

A walther pps has been my EDC for three years now. I love it. Light, easy to conceal, three different mags to tailor grip length, interchangeable backstraps, easy to point and shoot well.

I haven't regretted that purchase one bit.

Dashunde

I really like my G27 - huge fan of its all-purposeness - but I find it a bit thick and heavy for edc iwb.
I'm also unlikely (hopefully) to ever need all 9+1 rounds in a civilian personal self defense role.

In .40 for edc I'd give a hard look at the Kahr P40 or CW40, or even the PM40.
The single stack design may be greatly appreciated compared to the thickness and heft of the G27.

The PPS in .40 would be real nice too... think of it as a single stack G27 in some ways.

If a single stack leaves you feeling short on rounds you can carry a spare mag on the opposite side, it helps balance the load.

Last edited:

gregdry

PM40 for me in the front right pocket; nothing else carried there. Also had a LCP, but the 40 was just too close in size to leave behind. Compared it today to a new Diamondback 9mm (thought it was quite small) till I realized my PM40 is about the same size, just a tad thicker. Very happy with it. Oh, also have a glock 27 - like it too, but the PM40 is still noticeably smaller. :):):)