Best 357 magnum carbine

FALshootist

Which brand of 357 magnum carbines do you believe is the highest quality. I leaning toward Winchester and Marlin, although I'm open to other sugestions. these are also robably the most reasonably priced.

I'd like a pump gun, but the timber wolf is not really an option and there are no parts available so I won't consider one.

pythagorean

The Marlin 1894 is most popular and not as expensive as the 1892 Winchester. Either is a great rifle. There are copies of the 1892 by Cimarron, Uberti, EMF, Rossi, etc that are less expensive yet.
Here's the Winchester 1892 of recent production (.44 Mag):
392.jpg

393.jpg

389.jpg

390.jpg

A bit expensive for many but if you really like these kinds of levers "where there's a will there's a way" to get one!
Can't put a scope on it but to me it's not meant for one.

Last edited:

natman

The Marlin is good, the current Winchester / Miroku is better, as it should be at the price.

The Rossi carbines don't come close.

salvadore

What kills me is that Winchester, drilled and tapped for a reciever sight on their '95 but the cheap charlies didn't bother with the '92

gak

I have had maybe a dozen Rossi 92s since the late 70s -- particularly the early Interarms and later EMF (but still pre safety, i.e., pre 2006) models -- and have had very few problems. For the most part they've been rugged, trouble free and smooth operators. Some have required more shooting or dry levering to slick up than others, but all were great shooters with very little range or field time. On top of that, like all Winchester 1892 (92) based designs, they have very strong actions and they're slim and lightweight - the latter aspect at least being one of their primary advantages over the Marlin. There are currently two major camps - Marlin and Rossi - and both have their adherents.

I say Rossi if you're not planning to scope, Marlin if you are. Winchester 92s are an expensive option and all modern Wins have the tang safeties and rebounding hammers on them. If it's an earlier Win 92 and a .357, it's been rechambered such. The newer Win 92s are still a better choice, IMO, over a Win 94, as the 92 action was built for "pistol-sized" cartridges from the start; the 94 wasn't. Rossis are also referred to by many as "Pumas." Although technically it's just a moniker given by Rossi's largest distributors (Interarms, then LSI) over the years, it's become just about synonymous WRT any Rossi 92. Although new-old-stock LSIs and EMFs can be found on the internet, the only current-active importers of "Rossis" is Rossi itself, now owned by Taurus/Braztech. It's basically the same gun the other distributors have been selling for years.

The pricier Italians (Chiappa/Army Sport) someone else mentioned seem to cosmetically be the closest to the original Win and appear to be high quality externally. Some have had some internal issues (others have not)...don't know if those have been ironed out. Legacy Sports (LSI) is one of the Chiappa distributors. Pre 2008 it was Rossi's largest distributor of its 92s and, confusingly, has now carried over its Puma name (originally used by the Interarms importer in the 70s-90s) to its new line of Italians. Cimarron and Taylors share this line of Chiappa 92s (with some minor trim/caliber variances) but not the LSI's Puma name.

Until the final chapter is written with the Italians, above, best of all WRT "quality" would be the Browning 92 (B-92), out of production for over 25 years. They're pricey, especially in .357 which is more rare than the .44mag it also came in, but the most rewarding of the bunch IMO. However, like all 92s, they are not optimum if you want to mount a conventional scope. Pistol-caliber carbines and scopes are oxymorons to me, but your views may vary. The old Brownings were made in the same Miroku, Japan plant as the more recent Winchester 92s--a good thing.

Last edited:

FALshootist

Thanks alot these sugestions are along the lines of what I've been thinking. Although after 29 year as a LEO I've got some cool toys that are great during a hurricane or other disaster when the best course of action is to stay home.

For the real SHTF situation, when you absolutely have to leave, I'm thinking of the late 1800's cowboy, out in the wildernesss with both a rifle and hand gun that both use the same ammo a good fixed blade and folding knife, some fishing equipment, bed roll and just basic survival equipment.

The 44 mag is probably better, but not at its current price and at my current age I can carry more 357/38 special and that should do whats needed. I also have the 22 long rifle and short included in these plans , but I've already worked out that solution.

SR420

I like the Winchester .357 Magnum Carbine, but my wife has claimed it leaving me with a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun ;)

Attachments

• 94TrapperCarbine-357Mag.jpg
    94TrapperCarbine-357Mag.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 235

ohen cepel

I would get the Marlin. There was a limited run out of them with 16in barrels which would be my preferred length for one.

FALshootist

I must say those lightning rifles are exactly what I would like (either the Uberti or Cimmaron) unfortunately they're about twice what I would like to spend.

Consequently I will probably go with a Winchester or Marlin depending on what I can find at a reasonable price. Its unfortunate, as I think the lever gun is a great action, but the pump is better.

riomedinamike

I recommend the Marlin 1894c. I have a Win 94 trapper in 30-30 and 44 mag, as well as other Marlins, and I personally prefer the Marlins (but my Winchesters are not for sale).

As to the Marlin with its side ejection, I like the ability to easily add a low power scope if I want. They are accurate and with the right loads (158 gr and up) are fine deer rifles. With 38 specials they are really fun to introduce people to firearms, as newcomers are not at all intimidated by the gun or the recoil.

I don't have any experience with Rossi, the various 92's, or Italian made versions of 1873's so I can't comment.

10-96

SR- Man, likes the look of that peep on your Marlin. I have a Williams 5D on my Winchester- and it's been great in full light. But that one of yours looks plumb slick!

Lordofbarbeque

Vote for 1894C

I really like the 1894C, but then I like all the 1894's, & 1895's. It becomes a sickness. I started out with 45-70's then got a 357 for lighter work and now have rationalized getting a 1894CB44. I love my Winchester 9422's but I don't like WW's top ejection.

Pukindog

.357 Carbine

I had one of the Beretta Lightnings ( made by Uberti ). Long story short: barrel became loose at the reciever, Beretta said guns were discontinued, Beretta sent my their version of the '73 ( also made by Uberti ), this was another POS, took it to the dealer and traded it for this Uberti '73 in .357. The Beretta '73 and the Uberti '73 bear no resembalabce n fit, finish, and overall quality. I also have one of these Ubertis in .45 colt with the 24" barrel.
Top quality.

Jeff

Attachments

• SV102908.jpg
    SV102908.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 116
  • SV102912.jpg
    SV102912.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

longranger

Downside to the Marlins is their Micro Groove barrel and it does not handle cast bullets.That would eliminate the Marlin from my choice and only leave Winchester or Browning

longranger

Then the Ballard rifling would be the answer,I was not aware that Marlin had still been using Ballard rifling on the the new guns.Live and Learn.:eek: