Best .25 ACP Pistols?

Handloader109

I've an old colt that my uncle carried for several decades way before my time. And he probably got it from one of his relatives even farther back. Serial number from the 20's. I wouldn't call it reliable at all, won't feed hp ammo at all, just ball. And a 22lr has more power. Just an ornament in my safe. Get a 380 you want something more than just to annoy the bg. There are plenty that are pocket guns

Bill DeShivs

.22lr does not have more power than .25. Rifle velocities are greater than pistol velocities, and most published velocities from .22lr are rifle velocities.
Saying that .25 acp would "annoy" someone is very irresponsible.

TruthTellers

What no love for the Raven?! ;)
The Raven is the best bargain .25 pistol out there. Sure, it's heavy and only holds 6 rounds, but with FMJ, which is all that should be shot in a .25 for defense, mine has been pretty reliable.

I just wish it could hold 8 rounds and had a bit longer grip because I can barely get a finger and a half on hit while shooting. Thankfully there's no recoil.

KyJim

I used to carry my Beretta 950 in certain situations before our state issued CCLs. It was small and very concealable. I never had any trouble with it, though I only put enough rounds through it to be reasonably proficient. It's sure not a plinker. I haven't shot it in years. But, it doesn't take up much space in the safe. :)

ThomasT

I only have experience with the Beretta 950BS that I own. It has been 100% reliable so far. All I have ever shot from it were 50gr FMJ rounds. It Holds 9 rounds and fits in the smallest space. I have shot it off the bench at 7 yards and it will turn in some surprising groups. But it’s hard to do because the sights are so small.

I won’t get in on the debate about stopping power. It really doesn’t have much. By when a friend of my dads had a robber try to hold up his gas station way back around 1975 he unloaded his 25 auto into the robber and dropped him at his feet. He was running straight at the guy with a knife.

The next day the grand jury no billed him. He stopped on the way home and bought a 357 that he used on another robber a couple of years later. Killed him too.

Kreyzhorse

I own a 1908 Colt Vest Pocket, fantastic old gun and I carry it occasionally. It's reliable and fun to shoot. That said, if I had to buy a mouse gun for carry, it would be a .380 and a Ruger LCP.

Ibmikey

I do not often carry a .25 but if I did the pistol would be vintage and made from real steel and designed by real pistol makers. My 1908 Colt and Star Model CO are two finely made pistols that just never skip a beat when being fired. I would trust them to fire but not to stop a bad guy, of course a couple of .25 slugs in the brain would discourage even King Kong.

PSP

PSP, have you shot the .22 TPH much at all? Mine has been a jam a matic, but is very accurate.
Both calibers were very reliable. I used HV .22 only. Aguila Hyper Velocity 30gr. HP was the most fun ammo.

stuckinthe60s

25's aren't tactical or stand your ground guns.
they are known as break contact guns.
it may not kill or drop someone as fast as you want, but if you plug a perp with one a few times, he'll bleed out as you high tail it.
in the day, that was the main selling point of the gun. medical services weren't as good as they are today. if you study many old colt magazine commericals, it shows a small cal. gun in the hands of a woman in her bedroom with a perp coming thru the window. a couple of rounds in his direction, would normally be enough in the day, knowing holes couldn't always be patched as well as today.
and as mentioned, a 25 is better than a knife.
and if anyone thinks small cal guns aren't dangerous, just ask Robert Kennedy's opinion of a 22.
I used the beretta myself, in the 80's.
ended up giving it to a bed ridden MIL for her own piece of mind.

sarge83

I have a baby Browning and a 1908 Colt and prefer the Colt. I don't carry either at this point, preferring my Keltec P32 for my mouse gun carry.

unit 900

I carried a Beretta 950 BS in a belt pouch as a BUG when I did police work. A second gun was strictly prohibited, so it hid behind a thin plastic rectangle that presented a flat face to the world. I shot it regularly (if not a large round count) and it was a gem. Replaced it with a Seecamp .32 at some point.

geologist

I carried a Beretta 950 BS in a belt pouch as a BUG when I did police work. A second gun was strictly prohibited, so it hid behind a thin plastic rectangle that presented a flat face to the world. I shot it regularly (if not a large round count) and it was a gem. Replaced it with a Seecamp .32 at some point.

In Canada, automotive windshield wash comes in 1 gallon plastic jugs with curved surfaces. If you cut a panel from it the shape of your jeans back pocket, it can prevent unsightly print lines and it is free.

Top-Up-Windshield-Washer-Fluid-Video-Great-Canadian-Oil-Change-Regina-Quance-Albert-Service-gcoc-greatcanadianoil.jpg

James K

Member In Memoriam
In the old days, a small gun meant a low power gun, probably a .22 short or a .25 ACP. I have carried several different ones. The old Colt VP was absolutely reliable, as was the Browning 1906 and the Dusek. Others not so much. The Walther PPK and TPH were good except that the TPH sliced my hand if I wasn't careful, so I stopped carrying it. The .25 PPK, of course, is he same size as the .380 so why carry the smaller caliber?

Jim

lifesizepotato

Sort of a weird one but the Plainfield Ordnance Model 71, which can switch between 22lr and 25acp, is actually a pretty good gun. Accurate, nice size and heft, and the SAO trigger, while heavy-ish, is not bad at all. Gets my vote for "most enjoyable to shoot 25acp," at the very least.

8XqeJ9z.jpg

TruthTellers

^ Definitely a bit larger than what .25's normally are, but that would lend itself to being a sweet shooter. I've always been more interested in the .22LR/.25 conversion capability.

The two things I don't like about the Plainfields are the difficulty to get more magazines and the price. Last I saw they were going for $600.

My idea behind this thread was to get a sense of what are the best .25's for concealed carry. I wouldn't carry the Plainfield, too heavy/bulky. It probably would make a nice purse gun for a woman tho.

It would be great if somebody today made a similar type pistol.

Auto5

Years ago I had a PSP Baby clone. If my memory is correct, they was actually licensed by FN. Accurate, despite the tiny sights, and reliable. I eventually replaced it with an LCP. I recently picked up a Bauer, just because it was so pretty. It's my fancy dress gun.

Last edited:

darkgael

I have a Bernardelli VP .25 ACP. It is a tiny gun. I carry it occasionally. It has been 100% reliable through all the years that i have had it and practiced with it.

Attachments

• 17AB0BD4-BAEA-4182-BF2E-22D16AE4249E.jpeg
    17AB0BD4-BAEA-4182-BF2E-22D16AE4249E.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited: