Best .22lr pistol for suppressor host.

Siggy-06

I have a Silencerco Sparrow on the way and wanted to add another .22lr semi auto to my collection, this time with a threaded barrel. Reliability and overall noise info is appreciated. I'm currently looking at the S&W Victory, Ruger MkIV Lite, and some Buck Marks, though other suggestions are welcome.

I like the detachable barrel feature of the Buckmark. However, I hate having to remove the rear sight and have to re-sight it in to do so. What I recently learned was that (on my Buckmark) the magazine release is plastic. It wears out and then the magazine drops with every shot. I'm going to have to make another one out of aluminium.

jmhyer

While there have been some unfavorable reports (mostly about barrel leading), I really like my TX22. Mine has been great. Higher capacity than most other 22LR pistols and breaks down and operates similarly to most centerfire striker pistols.

BillM

Ruger 22/45 Lite. Good aftermarket if you want a better trigger,
short enough that most 22 ammo will be subsonic.

BornFighting88

BillM beat me to my point. I have a MK II that I have threaded the muzzle on. Most standard-velocity .22lr ammo is sub sonic out of the short barrel. Still hear the bullet crack through the air, but you only really hear the metal bits interacting inside the action after a fired shot. It is the coolest dang thing.

A 22/45 would be an ideal addition to the safe, for sure.

FrankenMauser

Ruger or Buckmark.
My preference is for the Buckmark. The more open action doesn't contain as much of the excess garbage and filth that comes from suppressing rimfire.

I like the detachable barrel feature of the Buckmark. However, I hate having to remove the rear sight and have to re-sight it in to do so.
Leave the top strap attached to the barrel.
Remove only the rear screw, and loosen the barrel lug screw until the barrel and top strap assembly can be lifted off.

Even so, I find them seemingly very repeatable.
No one has had to touch the sights on my Standard, with two exceptions, since about 1992. 1. When I removed the top strap to replace a corroding lock washer. 2. When I got the barrel threaded.
I didn't have to resight after reinstallation.

Same for my Target model. My father was the last person to sight that in - in like 1991. The rail has been off for several reasons. Always returns to zero upon reinstallation.

gonzogeezer

I went with a 22/45 4”. Later, I added a handle to the bolt to help cycle the action when running subsonic. Also removed the red dot in favor of fiber optic rear sight.
a52d8186312970b64154e147d59300e7.jpg

BornFighting88

Yeah, you'd think that anything prohibiting gases from escaping too quickly would aid in the cycling. Only issue I can think of is how dirty cans make blowback actions. Judas Priest on a Pony my Mk II gets caked in gunk after a day of shooting it suppressed. My Charger Takedown is the same way. Never seen it so dirty, even after a case of Thunderbolts unsuppressed... =-p

bbqncigars

There are a couple of rimfire pistols that have proven less friendly to using the Hydra can on. The S&W 2206 is wildly inaccurate with anything but the factory barrel nut on the muzzle (dangit). The S&W Victory is accurate and very pleasant to shoot with a can, but is an absolute bastard to get all the gunk out later. The Hydra now only gets used on the 22/45 Lite or the modded 10/22. Those two are relatively easy to clean.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Mine is a Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite. I run a Dead Air Mask on it. It's stupid quiet and will cycle almost any ammo. It does not particularly care for running subsonics and the suppressor. While I do love that pistol, it'd be hard to go wrong with the Rugers, Smith and Wesson Victory, or Browning Buckmark.

Siggy-06

Thanks for all the info everyone. I put an order in for a Ruger Mark IV Lite (43927). Ordered some g10 grips, and a fiber optic sight from tactical solutions. I'll see how the stock trigger is before I get any kind of kit for it.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Thanks for all the info everyone. I put an order in for a Ruger Mark IV Lite (43927). Ordered some g10 grips, and a fiber optic sight from tactical solutions. I'll see how the stock trigger is before I get any kind of kit for it.
Just so you know, if you decide you want a different upper, Volquartsen sells them pretty cheap in their clearance section: https://volquartsen.com/clearance. With the Mark IV, you can just pop the upper off and stick the new one on.

BillM

Just so you know, if you decide you want a different upper, Volquartsen sells them pretty cheap in their clearance section: https://volquartsen.com/clearance. With the Mark IV, you can just pop the upper off and stick the new one on.

Unless they changed on the MkIV, be aware that the upper on a Ruger 22 is the serialized
part. If you purchase one online it has to go through a FFL. Background check etc.

GE-Minigun

MKIV 22/45 Tactical..as mentioned it gets dirty quick. Either starting fluid or carb cleaner into the entire gun, shake very hard and hit it with CLP...put suppressor back on and go to town...repeat as necessary.

cavediver27

The new SIG P322 comes standard with a threaded barrel is an awesome candidate for a suppressor. We have two of them and they are amazingly accurate, reliable and feel great in the hand. Definitely recommended even if you don’t want to suppress it.

Siggy-06

Picked up my Ruger today and added the FO front sight. The stock trigger is actually pretty decent. Little take up with a solid break, don't think I'll change anything internally. Just waiting for my g10 grips now. I'll post a pick soon. The wait for the suppressor is annoying. I did get to handle a few Rugged brand suppressors at my lgs too, might order one in 9mm too.