Best 22 Rifle...for the money?

9Para

795.jpg

Listed in my area at $150

Marlin 795. Light weight, more accurate (generally) than a 10/22, and *generally* more reliable. Not as accesorizable as 10/22s.

The reason i like it better than the 60's is because it is not a tubefed magazine. It comes with detatchable 10 round mags. Otherwise i wouldnt really see a difference.

Ive got a plinkster and found it to be rather inaccurate. but it could be the bullets i use. they are the remington golden bullet that the sell in boxes of 550 and ive heard they are not very good.

CajunBass

Best for the money? The ones on the used rifle rack. Most brands work well, and there are some real gems that aren't made anymore as well as lightly used current models that someone just got tired of or saw something they wanted more. They're mostly bolt action and semi-auto, but I see pumps and lever guns as well. I've got a dozen 22 rifles. I purchased three of them new.

aorelup

Marlin Model 60. My dad bought me one when I was twelve. Didn't clean it once until I joined the Army (was afraid to take it apart) and it still works fine (I'm 34 now). My daughter has as much fun with it today as I did 20+ years ago.

Messersmith

Another vote here for the CZ 452. They are really nice rifles for the money, although I had trouble finding any under $370 new.

Dougw47

Mossberg t-144

Best .22 I ever owned, it and the next best Mossberg 372 were stolen by a drug addict and I never saw again.

I have a Springfield Mod. 15 for the grandkids, cut down and scoped...great rifle.

Plus the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10-22 both great rifles. I use the 60 for pest control around the lake house. It is a 70 Medallion model and had ten pounds of burnt powder in it when I bought it not working. LOL

Last edited:
So far, my favorite rimfire has to be the Savage Cub. It's probably my favorite firearm....period.

It's the one that gets all the critter killing jobs around the barns and pasture. It was given to one of my kids. But I love to shoot it. It's kinda silly when all the super guns in the safe become safe queens once that silly little savage Cub arrived. It's kinda embarrassing though. A little single shot .22 is now my favorite. Oh well.