Best 10mm defense round (and why)

Para Bellum

What would you choose as your 10mm defense round and why?

I'd pick a light fast bullet because I want extreme enery transfer and low penetration (the 10mm penetrates enough anyway). So I'd go for anything like CorBon's DPX 155gr:

DPX10155/20 VIEW 10 MM AUT0 155 GR. DPX 1200 FPS 496 FTLBS 4.6

10milg29

DT's 165 grain is impressive as well expanding a tad over an inch (1.02") with a desired 14.25" of penetration.

juliet charley

Yep, if you see results like that from an independent, professional testing facility (instead an amateur tester trying to sell a product).

Some intermediate barrier tests results (the FBI test battery) would be nice to see before you make a final decision.

Some well-documented results from actual LE/personal defence shootings are usually a good thing to have if you're going to bet your life and limb on it as well.

juliet charley

Yep. He might be a hotshot load developer, but that does not make him a professional tester (nor mean he has a professional level test facility), and he is most definitely trying to sell a product. So, the answer remains, "if you see results like that from an independent, professional testing facility (instead an amateur tester trying to sell a product).

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
juliet charley,

Doesn't Double-Tap use tested "name-brand" bullets from well-known companies?

If so, the company making the bullets would have testing information on them as well as the range of velocities within which those bullets would be expected to perform to specifications.

If you have information that indicates that Double-Tap is loading bullets beyond the bullet manufacturer's quoted performance range, that would be very useful and telling information indeed.

juliet charley

Most bullets have a recommended velocity range. That does not mean they were thoroughly tested throughout that range, nor does it mean the performance will be the same throughout that range. It certainly does not mean any specific, commercial load should not be tested by an independent, professional test facility (at least if you're betting your life on them). As a rule of thumb, you can expect optimum (best) performance at velocities close to where the manufacturers loads them--that does not mean they won't perform across the velocity, but you can expect performance to deteriorate as you get close to either end of the range.

10milg29

I don't feel like wasting my time on you. I know what I know from extensive research, you merely cite the Winchester website

juliet charley

I don't think anyone has cited the Winchester website in this thread. I know I haven't. You, however, did parrot some DT figures. It sounds even more like you have nothing to say (and are unable to conduct an intelligent discussion of the subject). :rolleyes:

10milg29

I'm not the one telling someone to choose 357SIG over 10mm for a defensive caliber based upon "a better ammo selection and cost" Give me a break.

10milg29

You have a clearly discernable disliking for DT. Mike will be happy to send you information regarding his testing. Texas Ammo is closed BTW while DT is thriving. Does that get at you my dear?

JohnKSa

Administrator
juliet charley,

I understand your reply and find it logical. However the fact remains that DT is not loading their ammo such that the bullets employed are being pushed outside of the stated performance window of the manufacturer.

Which gets us back to the absence of independent testing results. I think you would agree that in the absence of such testing results any assessment of DT's load performance (either positive or negative) is purely speculative.

In all fairness, I think you're probably right about the Winchester ST being one of the best choices for an SD round in 10mm--perhaps THE best.