Bersa? Walther? Nope - Cheetah

sks

Well my wife was in the market for another carry gun and was strongly leaning toward the Walther PPK. She has been wanting one for the past few months and as tomorrow is her birthday I figured it was time to get her a new gun.

So we went to the store and she began to hold the Walther and glance at the Bersa. She had a Bersa before and loved the feel of it but the gun malfunctioned before we ever fired it; she traded that for a Taurus PT709. Didn't like the way that one shot and sold it.

While deciding between the Walther and Bersa she sees the Beretta Cheetah and asks to see that one. Wow! She couldn't get away from that gun after holding it and 30 minutes later she walked out with it. :)

She likes my 92 and knows the quality of Beretta which I think was the ultimate deciding factor. She balked a little at the price but in my opinion it won't matter if you like the gun and 20 years from now she won't remember it at all. Now she has to put in some range time and I need some .380 dies! Maybe I'll buy her some of that Zombie ammo! :D

PSP

A world class pistol. Which model did she choose, the 84 or 85? My Berettas have never given me a malfunction. I carried a 84 for many years. It's an easy gun to shoot well... good choice.

wnycollector

I'm not shocked that your wife loved the Cheetah. The Beretta 84B is the only pistol that my wife will shoot. She says it feels like it was made specifically for her hand. She also likes the light weight of a pistol that holds 14 rounds!

sks

We got the 84FS and will take it to the range tomorrow. Hope to put 200-300 rounds to start it off. :)

She carries in her purse so the size is not really an issue for her as far as concealability. In the past she has carried the S&W airweight .38, Taurus titanium .38 and Taurus PT709 9mm. She just likes the "balance" she gets with the 84 and yes the 14 rounds are nice!

aarondhgraham

Nice choice,,,

The beretta Cheetah is the pistol that successfully blends elegance and practicality.

I absolutely love my cheetahs,,,
23-alessia_allegra.JPG

have an 85BB in .380 and an 87FS in .22 LR.

Aarond

PSP

Several grips are available. Beretta makes two styles of wood- checkered or smooth, as well as the plastic panels. Pachmyer makes a two piece, full wrap-around soft rubber grip, but it feels larger in circumference. They grip your hand like super glue though.

I think CDNN has the wood grips for only $20. I have an older 84 that has two panels of soft polymer (feels like rubber), made by a now defunct business named Farrer, that are the best grips I've ever touched. Too bad they're all but impossible to find.

Last edited:

Rogervzv

I have a Model 84 Beretta that I picked up in 1982 or thereabouts. Good gun. I never found any grips as good as the smooth Beretta ones that it came with. Tried the Bianchi rubber grips but hated them; too fat.

arentol

Can't go wrong on longevity with Beretta. I have a couple 60-year-old Berettas that run like champs. As a matter of fact my .22lr 948 cycles everything you throw at it, from the hottest .22lr loads around, to the cheapest stuff you can find. Doesn't matter what it is, that thing eats it like cake. The same can't be said about any newer .22lr's I have used. They all run into issue with one brand of ammo or another eventually.

sks

Well the range trip is delayed but I've got 250 rounds ready to go and will reload another 250 tonight and tomorrow. So she'll be good to go later this week. :)

She has the smooth plastic grips and likes them now. Not sure if she'll stick with that after shooting it.

Will give a range report when we're back. Looking forward to shooting this Beretta.

Fargazer

I don't know why, but when people ask me about a .380, I never think of the Beretta Cheetah. I should - I've not heard anyone complain about their fit, finish, ergonomics, or accuracy. I'll have to make sure I include it as a gun to look at when people ask.

Rogervzv

My venerable (but like-new condition) Model 84 is startlingly accurate. Nice tight groups at 33 feet at the range, and I am no great shooter.

bitttorrrent

Just held one for the first time at Berreta's booth at NRA show. I have a Px4 and pt etc.. but this little cheetah was very nice. Out of all the guns at the show (1000s) i do remember this one as a quality gun with a nice feel.

May have to add one. I actually have an old .22 Tangfolio that is a knockoff of this gun and I even like that even though quality is lacking.

btw, my Beretta has never manlfunctioned and is an excellent gun.

Andrewh

the wife's 86 actually carries in my 1911 holsters quite nicely.

but the recoil makes me want to pick up that p238 from sig.