Beretta Neos 22LR Pistol, good buy?

Bellasogno

Couldn't help myself - the Beretta I bought today was for me, not my son. :eek:

But, he likes it, and wants to see how the grip feels (his hands are larger than mine).

Anyone know if there are aftermarket grips for this pistol? jic?

He really likes it, except for that air gap under the slide. But, he still likes it.

JeiC

I haven't seen any larger grips for it, just these primarily:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos-grip/
http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos-dlx-grips/
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=184249

Sorry I'm not much help. One reason I ended up choosing the Neos because my hands are kind of small. If he's looking at potentially a different .22, have him check out the S&W 22A. I found the grip on that one to be a bit too big for me to be comfortable, but it might work for him.

old22shooter

Neos - Great starter .22

I am relatively new to the sport and just go plinking with a number of 22's I bought. I had some jams with the Neos and had to send it back in but the company make some repairs and it works fine now.....they suggested winchester super x which works well. I think for the price it's a great pistol. The style and grip angle make it very user friendly. Only thing I like better is a Sig p226 that I got with the 22 conversion....but that's over twice the price of the Neos.

Edward Cravey

Beretta Neos

I bought the Neos with the 6" barrell, ordered the 4.5" barrel and found the balance to be better. Added Tasco Reddot from Walmart; used 2 Bullseye seasons before a FTFeed. Reason:Didnt clean it or lube it after barrell change. Tasco sight allowed improvment in scores. Best ammo: Wolf Target, Federal Automatch in 40gr. lead. Have Hi-Standard Duramatic. Same basic design features Visible fireing pin, grip attachment(long screw), barrell mounted by screw on HS, Nut on Neos. Grip angle is simular. One, HS the old way of making guns; Neos, the newer way as their shapes suggest.

pgdion

I really like the NEOS. I have a lot of .22's and the NEOS is by far my favorite (I have 2 of them). I like the 4.5" barrel better than the 6 (the balance on the 4.5 is perfect) and it might just be mine, but the inox seems to be of better quality than the black. It seems to me the stainless steel is harder and wears better.

Interesting, all things weird about the NEOS I actually really like. The magazine release is odd yet perfectly placed and smooth as silk, ejections have never been easier and never by accident. The grip looks small and weird but actually feels really good. The gun looks odd yet fits two handed shooting well, that extended sloped area at the front of the trigger guard makes a great second grasp/rest point.

Only faults, the rear sight likes to walk up, it needs greater detents or a stronger spring. Take the sight screw out, put a drop of blue loctite on the threads, and put it back in and adjust. Problem solved.

Joystick

Neos Trigger Pull

I bought mine two months ago and have fired about 500 rounds over several sessions at the range.

My only complaint was with the trigger. It was a little heavy which I could live with, but the pull was long and gritty. The firing pin actually moved rearward just before the gun fired.

I read about mods to help loosen things up and smooth out the pull, but they seemed like a lot more work than I wanted to do and the cost to have the work done was almost the same as the gun.

I managed to fix mine by adding some shim stock to the notch in firing pin. It does not require any serious dissembly and it only takes a few minutes That mod reduced the length of the trigger pull and also the force required to pull the trigger. Bad news was that it disabled the safety. I never use that anyway. I never consider a loaded gun "safe." I unload mine and use the chamber block.

It is a great low cost gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

Fishbed77

Personally, I'd lean towards a Ruger Mark III or 22/45 or a Browning Buckmark. They're just better-made pistols for the money.

That said, my uncle has a Neos and it's a pretty accurate pistol. The stock trigger is pretty horrible, but there are some instructions online to make it more tolerable.

Cheapshooter

My son has one. It's a pretty decent shooter for the $, but I just can't get past the fact that it looks like water should squirt from the muzzle when you pull the trigger.:eek:
I think I'll stick with my P22 (oops, did I say that?), Buckmark, High Standard HD Military, and probably add a Ruger Mk some day.

Joystick

I bought my first Rugger over 30 years ago. It and the new MK III's are better built than the Neos. I loved everything about it except cleaning it.

The main reason I got the Neos is because I'm lazy and it is way easier to clean.

Now that I have the Neos and have shot it quite a bit, I find that I also like the balance of the gun. The extra barrel weight up front helps reduce the shaking from my hands and helps me get back on target faster.

Last week my best rapid-fire five shot group was 2 1/4" at 10 yards. Four of the shots were within 1" of each other, I pulled one to the right. I can't do that with the Rugger.

Yes, I know everyone who reads this can shoot way better, faster, farther, etc., but I don't think that is too bad for a 69 year old, half-blind, fat guy who only shoots a few times a year.

Joystick

Here is the firing pin mod I used on my Neos to clear up my trigger pull problem. This one is also easily reversed, since no parts are altered.

It is best to use the smallest thickness of shim stock possible to reduce the possibility of accidental firing. Mine worked out to be .030" thick shim stock. This will also disable the safety.

Attachments

• Neos Firing Pin Mod.pdf
    3.3 KB · Views: 106

bustersmaster

Neos

I had one a few years ago, bought it new at Gander Mt. at the time and $219 comes to mind. I don't know if it was me or the gun, but I found it far from accurate and decided to "off" it rather than trying to figure it out.
I'm a reasonably good shot with most handguns and I found for me that the Bersa 22 is a lot more accurate, in spite of the short barrel and whatever folks seem to think of the Bersa's reputation. Oh, the Bersa seems to have a lot fewer hickups than the Neos did. Probably just me, but for some reason, I seem to shoot short barreled guns more accurately than the 6" versions. (my Neos was a 6" model)

jason_iowa

They seem to be hit and miss. My dad has one that's very nice. My cousin has one that won't shoot better then about 4in groups with about 8 different kinds of ammo to reach that. That's after he sent it in to be rebarrled. Couple buddies of mine have had some poor quality ones that got fixed with some trips to the factory.

I would not tell ya to stay away from em they seem pretty good for the price but you may need some patience.

Joystick

Here is a picture of my Neos. The NcStar sight works great. It has a fairly narrow field of view, but works well for target shooting.

The five-shot group was at 10 yds and in about 5 seconds. It is about half the spread of my best group with open sights.

Attachments

• Beretta Neos .22 Cal.jpg
    Beretta Neos .22 Cal.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Good Group Nov 2011.jpg
    Good Group Nov 2011.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 63

Hicksville Kid

The grip is too small for me. It appears to be even smaller than my 22/25 which always bothered me. I had the grips ground off that and went with a much fatter Hogue wrap around. I'd buy one if I could get a bigger grip.

Joystick

The grip size was a concern for me when I bought the gun. I am 6'-2" and have fairly large hands; 8" from wrist to fingertip.

I tried the grip on the S&W and I have a Ruger Mk I.

So far, the narrow grip has not been an issue for me.