Beretta Nano; yea or nay

Cosmodragoon

I'm not trying to start anything, but wouldn't these 2 pistols technically be single action striker fired with a longer heavier trigger pull that is comparable to a double action trigger? (As opposed to an actual double action pistol)
That's what I was wondering. Beretta lists the Nano as single action on their website. (The APX Carry just says "striker-fired" in the action column.) It seems that both have to be racked before the trigger can be used. As far as I understand, "double action" means that the trigger does the cocking and the firing. As such, you shouldn't need to rack the slide and you should always have "second strike capability". Decocking shouldn't lead to a dead trigger.

Hopefully, my confusion here is understandable. Am I right that the slide needs to be reciprocated for each use of the trigger on these guns?

GarandTd

I've seen that Hickcock45 video before. I'm sure he discusses the action at some point, but I don't feel like watching a 25 minute review for 30 seconds of explanation to answer my question.

Does the trigger fully or partially charge the striker? Is that how the Nano/APX carry is considered DAO?

Just like a striker fired pistol
You are implying that all striker fired pistols operate the same. They do not.

I was not implying anything other than it is a Striker fired DAO. Striker fired by design and DAO pull. Thank you for informing me that all Striker fired guns are not alike. I guess I never figured that out with all the one's I do own and have owned.
From the manual-
Slide catch The slide catch is a lever that holds the slide open after the last round is fired. This allows the user to immediately determine that the pistol does not have a round in the chamber or in the magazine. The Nano’s slide catch is internal and completely snag free. OPERATIONAL FEATURES

Semiautomatic firing Beretta Nano pistols will automatically reload after each round is fired, as long as there are cartridges in the magazine. Barrel locking system. The barrel and slide are locked together as a unit at the time of discharge. As they move to the rear during recoil, the barrel cam operates on the disconnect pin causing the barrel to disengage from the slide and allows the slide to continue its rearward travel. Striker Fired Trigger System. When the trigger is pulled the trigger bar rotates the cocking lever to the rear, the cocking lever pushes the striker against the striker spring. Just before full trigger travel is reached, the cocking lever pushes the striker block out of engagement and releases the striker. The striker travels fully forward under inertia. After the striker reaches its full forward position the striker return spring rebounds the striker to a neutral position so the striker block is automatically activated when the trigger is released.

'The Nano has a Glockish Pivoting safety Lever on It's face but unlike the Glock requires a full forward reset for the next shot. In other words the trigger looks like a Glock but shoots like a Kahr or Double Action Revolver. There is a very shot take up before meeting a firm resistance. From there it is a consistent pull. The faster you run the trigger the smoother it seems.

'The element of recoil rearward "kick" was a pleasant surprise with the Nano. Even the screaming +P+ Buffalo Bore, and the narrow grip-grame, it simply didn't hurt to shoot this little 9mm'
Massad Ayoob

Last edited:

GarandTd

My only question was how this striker fired handgun was double action. Much of the time, trouble, confusion, and frustration would have been saved and avoided with just a simple answer to the question.

Thank you for finally clarifying.

GarandTd

The part that answered my question:

When the trigger is pulled the trigger bar rotates the cocking lever to the rear, the cocking lever pushes the striker against the striker spring. Just before full trigger travel is reached, the cocking lever pushes the striker block out of engagement and releases the striker. The striker travels fully forward under inertia. After the striker reaches it's full forward position the striker return spring rebounds the striker to a neutral position so the striker block is automatically activated when the trigger is released.