Beretta Nano; yea or nay

JERRYS.

I've read about the failure to extract spent brass, but those have been years ago.… so, if you actually have one or had one, what's your take on them?

Own three of them. My favorite Micro. Just put 10,000 rds through the original in Sept. Now about 12,000. All three run great. Shoots all kinds of ammo like a sewing machine. Very, mild shooting with little muzzle flip. The new APX carry which is a new Gen of the Nano has a new grip style. Lower bore axis. I took one of the Nano's and put the Carry grip on it and runs just fine with all magazines. It is a DAO and some folks do not like this. I prefer it.

Apx carry grip on left, Nano on left. Grip cost $35.00

sah6OpU.jpg

Last edited:

stephen426

With the new "high capacity" micro 9's that have hit the market, I think you ought to check them out first. I went from a Glock 43 which is a 6+1 and added +2 mag extensions for my two spare mags. Total round count was 23.

While a lot of people would say that 23 rounds is most likely more rounds than I'll ever need, I also shoot in a practical shooting club. I believe in shooting and practicing with what I carry so I bought a Springfield Hellcat. It comes with an 11 round mag and a 13 round mag. With just 1 spare mag and 1 in the pipe, I would be at 25 rounds. I carry 2 spare mags in my back pocket since it doesn't print as much and is much more stable. That bring me up to 38 rounds. I bought 2 of the 13 round mags so if I carried with the 13 round mag, I'd be at 40 rounds.

Yesterday was a range day and It was nice to not have to reload after just a few rounds. The gun has run flawlessly and everyone wanted to try it out. I think we may see quite a few more Hellcats in the club soon.

The APX/Nano are built with very high quality. Almost to the point of over built with few parts about (43). The gun is well known to be a very mild shooting gun with very little muzzle flip. I have ran this gun against many other single stacks. It has a modular design, which makes it very easy to work on, change grips etc. Magazines are top notch. Look like high end custom mags with steel followers. ( Steel construction and adherence to strict tolerances ensure years of service from these magazines with proper care by the end user. Designed for the rigors of concealed carry, the Nano's magazine and follower are constructed entirely of polished stainless steel. The polymer floorplate completely covers the bottom of the Nano's gripframe to reduce the introduction of foreign contaminants and create a uniform grip.
The gun is not on the most popular list. One reason is the fact that it is DAO. A striker fired DAO very similar to the Kahr's. And some do not like the fact that the Nano did not have a slide lock. I hesitated not buying one because of this, but Ironically became so use to this that I actually prefer it to a lock now. The new APX carry now does have the lock and a newer grip with a lower bore axis. Many like the newer grip and a newer lighter trigger.
Langdon of Langton tacital say's that that the New APX is now the gun he feels meets every thing he wanted in a small carry Micro 9mm. They have 6 of them they have been testing for months and all have run perfectly and flawlessly.
No they are not the most Popular gun out there. I personally never buy a gun based on Popularity, you might go to Ruger if that is what you are after.
Like any gun, I would suggest you try one out. They are very sweet shooters. If you do not like a DAO, then these Pistols will not be for you. If you want a very light striker fired gun with little take up than their are other choices available. If you do want a DAO, this is one of the best. They are gritty at first, but break in very nicely.Smooth, Deliberate, Controlled all the way through.
A wonderful handling firearm. Have no question that the quality is so well, that I will many more thousands of rounds and this gun will outlive me.

Stainless steel chassis and parts.
ZLdECHO.jpg
tQhZZyy.jpg

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

The above admits the Nano's problem, it was/is slide top heavy with a smaller grip. None of the others have that.

It was kinda doomed from the start.

wild cat mccane

It's worth the comment.

Your APX Carry next to the Nano shows how high the Nano sits.

Since none of the other single stacks have this issue...

TunnelRat

Would be great if we could have a thread on the Nano without the same two people arguing, more specifically the one that comes in seemingly only to antagonize the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kymasabe

We have two Nano's in the family, both run flawlessly, both are mild shooters. I'm tempted to trade it towards a higher capacity micro 9 but...it just shoots so nicely and fits my hand so well...I think I'm just gonna keep it and keep shooting it. Mine's not ammo picky, eats everything. I think they're under-rated and great guns.

Cosmodragoon

I'm a little confused here. I've seen both the Nano and the APX Carry described as DAO around the web. However, Beretta's website lists the Nano as "single" and the APX Carry as "striker-fired". In videos, it looks like the slide has to be racked on both in order to fire. It also looks like there is a tool-accessible decocker on both.

So are either of these guns really double action?

They are striker fired DAO. Similar to the Kahr. The Nano does not have a Slide Lock. The Nano came with a 7.2 lb trigger. One of mine has broken in to about 6.5lbs of pull. The new Generation or new APX Carry is listed by the Beretta as 6 lbs, but they are all coming in at 5.7lbs. Beretta added the slide lock on the APX. I prefer the Nano without. Again personal preference. The trigger on my original has broken in and buttery smooth all the way through. For myself, it is one if not best DAO triggers I have shot.
The decocker on the Nano is on the right side of the gun. The Carry and the Nano are basically the same pistol with subtle differences. Mostly to allow for the slide lock. As in the post above they redesigned the grip to lower the bore axis. A extended Beaver tail etc. And the APX has the new serrations.
The Nano grip and APX carry grip and receiver are interchangeable. Magazines from the Nano are compatible with the APX. Tearing the down the gun is very easy. All parts very simple to replace, clean etc. The gun is extremely mild to shoot and very little muzzle flip. The APX Grip even Adds to the milder shooting. The receiver and Barrel weigh a few more ounces than many other Micro's, but that also aids in control, recoil and muzzle flip. The gun is designed for high volume shooting.

O9eqjwv.jpg
FNbEIlm.jpg

o0bsqzG.jpg

8Zk7Uh6.jpg
TjVaGg9.jpg

Nano vs similar Micro 9mm
yuSEWJP.jpg

Part comparison courtesy Beretta1526

Last edited:

JERRYS.

Thanks for the expanded reply Carl.

I've owed a Beretta handgun in some fashion pretty much all of my adult life, from the m92, m90 Roma, m21, m3032 all at one point or another went on as part of a trade. I really kick myself for letting the m.90 Roma go in hindsight.

my gun money ebbs and flows and I usually end up trading instead, and I'd like to trade into one of those m82 .32s that hit the used market but they are basically extinct in my area, though I've located a few Nanos.

Prof Young

Not the early ones . . .

I got a Nano when they were relatively new on the market. First trip to the range the rear sight fell off. I was shooting out side and never did find it. When I called Beretta it was clearly a problem they were aware of as the guy who answered the phone told me they had a box of the rear sights in the office and were mailing them out on a regular basis. I kept the gun for a while but could not get it to run without jams. Sold it with full disclosure at a loss. Maybe Beretta has made some changes or maybe mine was a lemon. Ah well. I won't be going back to one.

Life is good.
Prof Young

The sights use a set screw. Very easy to change out to night sights and one of the things I like about the gun. I put some lock tight on them before I went to the range. Same design as the Pico.

ib93WwE.jpg

Last edited:

GarandTd

I'm not trying to start anything, but wouldn't these 2 pistols technically be single action striker fired with a longer heavier trigger pull that is comparable to a double action trigger? (As opposed to an actual double action pistol)