Beretta goes Bye Bye!!!

denfoote

It seems like a rip-off to me for a company to sell a product to the public that has to have modifications (i.e. action/trigger work) to perform to its capabilities.

Gee, you have just stated my complaint with the entire 1911 world!!! Maybe it's a "design" thing with all 1911 type pistols!!!

WaltherP99Man,
I have already given in!! I make the trade tomorow!! (Fri) :)

Coop57

I agree with Vladimir. The CZ 75 is the least expensive gun I own but has the sweetest DA/SA trigger. I own Colt 1911, Kimber 1911, SIGs, Beretta, Glock, Kahr P9, S&W 5906 and I still come back to the CZ 75. Great ergonomics, feels as natural in my hand as you know what.

BigG

Ruger must be building triggers for Beretta and Browning these days. :p

Actually, removal of the mag disconnect will often help the HP trigger, I'm told.

Adventurer_96

I was really hoping that AIM surplus would come through with those Israeli surplus Hi Powers as I think they would have made an inexpensive pistol to tune to whatever condition you wanted. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking.

I agree both that the 92 is a big-handled pistol, and that the ergonomics of the Hi Power are great. Strangely enough, the Beretta fits my hand and I don't enjoy shooting large framed handguns in general. I wish I were more mechanically inclined, I may not have got rid of the Hi Power if I could have done a trigger job. I don't think I'll ever remove the mag safety on one, too nervous about liability if there's an accident I guess. :rolleyes:

The funny thing about my Hi Power is that it would not feed various 9mm reloads regularly, while my Beretta 92 has never jammed with the same loads. In fact, I've only seen one jam with my own eyes and that was a military pistol being fired by a rather limp-wristed shooter during qual. So, I would trust my Beretta implicitly if I were ever in a situation where I was forced to do so. Plus, I hate immediate/remedial action at the range. ;)

If I could only stop putting together rifles, then I could spend some $$ on a new pistol. I guess there are worse things to spend money on though...

CZ_

Gee, you have just stated my complaint with the entire 1911 world!!! Maybe it's a "design" thing with all 1911 type pistols!!!

Good point. Yeah, I sold my 1911 (Colt) several years back due to frustrations over its lackluster out-of-box reliability.

7th Fleet

Years ago when you couldn't do any better the Browning High Power (P-35) made sense, if your weren't into 1911s and if you wanted a 9mm. When I was in Vietnam I thought that I wanted a P-35, but I found out that I was quite happy with my issue Ithaca 1911A-1.

But when the Glocks and Sigs came along, there was no longer a reason for the BHP to be in your armory. While I still have one but I haven't shot it in years, if I want to shoot a 9mm, I will get one of my Kahrs, Glocks or my P11 out of the safe.

7th

BigG

When it comes to a nine, I'm a Glockifier myself. If I want to shoot an older nine I get out the P08 or the Combat Commander. :)

defox

I was going to say you're crazy but since you are getting a BHP instead I will take that back.

That said apart from being slimmer, more ergonomic, just as battle-proven as the Beretta if not more so and a vintage the BHP has nothing over the Beretta. ;)

If you want the best of both worlds: smooth DA pull or cocked and locked give the CZ a look!!!

BigG

I beg to respectfully differ with the poster who said the Beretta was battle proven, moreso than the HP. Where did this information come from? What exact battles are we talking about?

The battles since the Beretta was adopted by USA in '85 have been video wars with computer geeks guiding missles into bunkers, etc. Very little gunplay up close and personal that I've read about, esp. at powder burn range.

The Berettas that preceded the US M9 were used by the Axis powers in WWII. Cheap, blow back POSs not worthy of taking home. Please read up a bit before you make such categorical statements on an enthusiast's board.

In contrast, the BHP fought thru WWII on both sides and won its laurels in hundreds of conflicts. It was adopted by dozens of countries including England and Canada for cryin out loud.

:rolleyes:

coltjeeper

Big G

I beg to differ with you. The current Beretta was not derived from "cheap blow back POS pistols" It was derived from the Walther P-38. And those blow back POS pistols weren't exactly that cheap either. There are several nations that have used Berettas over the years and currently still do. Can that be said of the Browning HP. Yes, because they are both good designs, but the Beretta is around more nowadays.

As far as the little TV wars go.....just because you haven't read anything about them doesn't mean small arms, specifically Berettas, weren't used. I saw plenty of use of Berettas when I was on active duty......hell, my Guard unit used them more than what your describing.

While the 92FS works, I always thought it was too much pistol for the 9mm bullet. Compare the size of the 92 to the CZ-75 or the Browning Hi-Power and when you consider they're all the same caliber, it makes you scratch your head and ask, "Why?"

otomik

BigG, the BHP was used by the axis powers as well once the FN factory was taken over. but why should I care about which side this battle implement was used on unless I'm some kinda history buff reinactor?

The Beretta 34 is a blowback, single action, 7-shot .380 about the size of a Walther PP. It shouldn't be compared to battlefield sidearms like the 1911 and BHP, they are of a different philosophy of sidearms like the Makarov, simple, compact, save your ass pistols that get you out of immediate trouble.

john1932

TRIGGER SUCKS MY A$$ ...... I bought a new marklll a month ago, and all I did was take some micron wet sandpaper, and sanded the magazine safety, and the area on the mags where the mag safety contacts the mag surface, and this little project has made the trigger break like butter (very smooth now) I have owned, and shot lots of guns, but have never gotten 1 1/2"grps at 15 to 20 yds with anything like I have with the BHP. These are truely awsome 9mm pistols, and I will never, ever, get rid of this gun, and my next big puchase will be a Springfield 1911, and I REALLY like the trigger on those guns.

.357SIG

Hey, BigG, I think you need to go back and read the post over again.

...just as battle-proven as the Beretta if not more so ...

That says the HP is as battle-proven as the Beretta, if not more so. IOW, the HP may be more battle-proven than the M9. :eek:

theberettaman

quote-Isn't a BHP just a cousin of the 1911? They look somewhat similar to me.

No! The BHP is the perfection of the 1911.
Look at it this way.John Browning made the 1911,and it was good,but he knew he could make it better.He made the BHP and acheiving perfection,the Lord called him home.:D

defox

4V50Gary,

I have also agonised about why the 92FS needs to be so big to launch the little 9mm bullet.

I heard that the Cougar did not retain the open slide design because the 'compact' size of the Cougar would not have enabled it to carry the required slide mass needed for the open slide to work reliably. But then Beretta comes with the 9000 series using a open slide design in an even smaller package than the Cougar.:confused: Maybe they solved the engineering issues-notice how fat and heavy the 9000s are.