beretta bobcat .22 handgun reliable?

stargazer65

I love mine and always carry it in my pocket. It needs love and attention and it is very reliable and surprisingly accurate for a little gun. However, you can't just buy it, feed it crap, never clean it, seldom use it, and expect to shoot bullseyes at 100 yards for a million shots in a row without a single hiccup. Keep it cleaned and oiled, break it in, practice with it, and give it the right quality ammo and it will love you back.

chas1

The 21A is an excellent pocket .22 just feed it CCI mini mags and keep it clean, you do your part and it won't let you down. spend range time with it and get to know it's capabilities.

"JJ"

.22 ammo has to be the least QCd caliber ammo available!!

Like Pilot, stargazer65, catzor, FamilyShooters, varoadking, Ledbetter, newcastlejudo, & probably a few others have said: QUALITY AMMO!!

Yes, there will be problems with guns. But if you buy a box of 500 "Bullets R us" ammo for $6, you WILL have jams in the best firearm.

You get a quality ammo, maybe CCI, Remington, or Winchester high velocity loads, and you give the gun a chance to function.

varoadking said it best:
Most .22 semi-auto guns don't jam...crappy ammo jams most .22 semi-auto's...
"JJ"

blume357

I actually have two of them...

One is finicky on ammo... likes CCI mini mags as mentioned above. the other works well with just about anything... so go figure. I bought a magazine with a finger extension on it and it doesn't work as well as factory ones.

quiznax

Beretta bobcat jam issue

This is an excellent gun. It is very well made. The trigger is
Quite good, tip up barrel is cool. like every pistol made, it has
A break in period. Yes, it has a very stiff slide spring and no
Extractor. after 500 to a 1000 rounds, this gun will eat many .22
ammo brands with ease. Everyone on the web complains about
Fte and ftf. If you have 7 rounds in the mag, the chance of this
Is increased by 60 percent. The magazine has too much pressure
From the spring with 7 rounds in the mag. I recommend 5 or
6 rounds in the mag. The stovepipe issue and the round getting
Stuck on the top of the slide will cease. it's that 7 th round
That causes the problem. I had these problems
And now there gone.

tjhands

LOL, I love it when people dig deeeeep into the archives and then post as though it's a current conversation. :D This thread was started 6 years ago, then a newbie bumped it 3 years ago, and now, 3 years later a new newbie bumped it again.

Kinda made me laugh. :)

gunhappy

I had one that I loved. It was heavier and thicker than my lcp and shot an inferior round....but it had CLASS. And mine was very reliable so long as it was kept clean...like all pocket autos

ricko

I have a Minx, basically like the Bobcat but SA and fires .22 Shorts only. Got it used, so it was already broken in. I've been surprised at how reliable and jam-proof it's been: the only issues have been one jam when my thumb got hit by the slide and kept it from cycling properly, and two rounds (out of maybe 100 or 150) of 50-year-old ammunition that failed to fire on the first strike. One of these (last round in the box) was waxy and sticky and with no extractor it wouldn't come out of the chamber, which did make me wish there had been an extractor - I had to carry it home from the range with the barrel tilted up with that live round still inside. Now I keep a piece of a bamboo chopstick in the case with the gun in case it happens again .... but it's very unlikely, except for that one sticky old shell they will generally just fall out if you pop the barrel up. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bobcat at a reasonable price.

simonrichter

get yourself the Taurus PT22 polymer - same features (tip-up barrel), lighter due to polymer frame, better suited for SD due to DAO trigger...

Lama

It's an ammo issue

I have a Beretta Minx and was ready to toss it in the trash...Then I read a post on the ammo.....a lot of .22 ammo is under 1000 FPS, and that will not cycle property. It will shoot reliably any high velocity ammo over 1000 FPS. I went the CCIs and never had a misfire after that. Great little gun.

Threads don't really expire. .sometimes the info and questions still have value, or guys just like to bring the topic up again. I wouldn't let it bother you.;)

Last edited:

IdahoG36

It will be reliable if a good ammo is used. Lots of people's problems with .22 semi autos are shooting cheap bulk ammo through them.
I learned a long time ago that if I shoot CCI Mini Mags or Stingers through my .22 semi auto pistols, they run great. And that is with any brand of .22 pistol I've owned. Sure, they are more expensive than bulk ammo, but they are good quality ammo and reliable.
The only guns I've had great luck running cheap bulk .22 ammo through are a Ruger 10/22 and .22 bolt action rifles.

Rifleman1776

I just bought a 21A for my wife. I bought because of it's quality and reliability reputation. It is just that. But, function with bulk ammo is not good. I also have an American Arms PX22, Walther style that is not function reliable with bulk ammo either. But, using high-vel ammo, especially CCI Stinger both are 100% reliable. Only downside is finding the ammo to buy, we have to limit practice.

Rifleman1776

I have to take back what I said about my wifes Beretta 21A and bulk ammo. I had said the bulk stuff did not function reliably in this gun. That was during the initial shoot/break in. Today I got it out and tried the bulk again. Surprise :D it functioned perfectly with nary a glitch. I guess the break-in did it's job.
I'll try again later in my American Arms Walther style PX22.