Beretta A400 20 gauge shotgun data

Jaywalker

True enough. When I hit them with modified there was nothing left but dust. Maybe I'm still living in the past with game birds, wanting something left to eat.

rc

You can always let them birds fly a little further. The other place IC might be warranted is on running rabbit and squirrels you plan to eat. On dove I always used full because they were out there a bit. On pheasant sometimes modified.

FITASC

First, it does not come with a paper manual, and the Beretta site was down for the weekend after I received it and so it wasn't available when I wanted to de-grease it. Also, AFAIK, there is no A400 manual to be had. Best I could find online was a Beretta "Auto" manual which included both the A400 and A300. This is pretty weak, especially when they specify, "Please keep this manual with the shotgun at all times."

Second, the shotgun came with only three choke tubes - Cylinder (!), Modified and Full - no Improved Cylinder (IC). Since I expect to leave an IC installed 95% of the time this is something that I need to fix immediately. Fortunately, Beretta is having a sale on their Optima HP tubes and I ordered an IC from Amazon for $35.

Both of mine came with paper manuals - maybe something new to save costs?
Secondly, are you sure it is a Cylinder? The typical 3 choke combo from them is IC, M, F.
Personally, I run Trulock LM (what they call SK2) in my guns - great for birds, clays and all around.

Jaywalker

This is my last planned update of the function of my new Beretta A400 Xplor Action. I've completed its break-in with Monarch moderate power ammunition with an additional 50 rounds, bringing the total to one hundred rounds. They work fine and I'll have no hesitation about using them in the future.

As previously, AA shells with 7/8oz at 1200 fps also worked flawlessly, though I've heard others have had problems.

I also used Baschiere & Pellagri Competition 1 - 7/8oz at 1210 fps and they also worked fine. For no particular reason, these will be the ones I buy when I can find them.

For an extreme test I tried Fiocchi Extra Low Recoil - 3/4oz @ 1075 fps, number 7-1/2 shot. They fired 100%, and did not eject or load the next round, but I didn't really expect them to. The instructor was watching the charging handle during the test and said it did not move. He suggested the way to use the rest of the flat was to use a standard power round in the chamber and these low power Fiocchi rounds as a second shot in the magazine. That way I wouldn't have to bend over to pick up the empties on the last shot. That's one way, while the other would be to reserve them for the 686 - basically making it a 28 gauge.

Recoil on all these different brands was interesting - with the A400 I could not tell the difference, even the Fiocchi. Thinking about it, it occurs to me that with the Fiocchi, I was getting no semi-auto recoil reduction, just as if I were shooting them from the 686 over-under. Basically, then, all of the loads felt like 28ga from an O-U. The Fiocchi were more pleasant than 7/8oz loads when firing them from the 686. However, while it might have been my imagination, the time of flight seemed to be a little longer. If I wanted the Fiocchi to function semi-automatically I'd need to generate more velocity than 1075 fps, but I see no point in that and will stick with 7/8oz at 1200 fps for all of my target shooting as they seem to work well.

I started this thread to document any problems I might have with the A400 and low power target loads in the A400 20 gauge - I've read about a few. I didn't find any problems with standard target loads, two brands, and one inexpensive hunting load. I have read about 12 gauge semi-auto shooters using 7/8oz successfully, but my A400 20 gauge can't step down so proportionally, at least at very low velocity; if I find a faster load in the future I'll try it. I conclude that the Beretta A400 20ga Xplor suits my needs for a combination hunting and recreational Sporting Clays shotgun.

rc

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the A400. You definitely tested the low end of performance to see when it would stop working. I know some people said that because of the weight difference in the guns that your 20 could kick as much as a 12 but there are so many subjective factors in how a gun feels under recoil and weight of the gun is one of them, velocity of the load is another, but when you boil it all down, fit of the gun and softness of the recoil pad seems to be the two most important factors. I am sure even 1 OZ "high brass" at around 1200fps will be very pleasant in that gun. A 12 tends to punch out 1 oz loads closer to 1350fps. Even 3" magnums in 20 gauge tend to be a bit slower when pushing the same amount of shot as a high base 12 gauge so even having the same amount of shot in your shells is not quite an apples to apples comparison due to other factors. Now that you have a nice O/U and Auto in 20 gauge, it's time to find a nice classic pump like a Browning BPS to round out your collection:)

stinkeypete

I shoot 1.25 ounces of #5 shot at pheasants. In 20 gauge or 12 gauge, both going 1200 fps.

The size of the bore makes absolutely no difference to pattern. This is a proven fact.

The quality of the choke construction and the quality and load of the shell DO make a difference to the pattern. But unless a top level competition shooter, determining pattern quality is a very difficult thing to measure.

I don't care for the Beretta gas recoil system as it's not as soft as other systems. So they resort to putting moving parts in the stock. I don't like that, I like plain simple wood.

Despite that, if looking for a 20 gauge semi auto, an A400 would be near top of my list. With a nice wood stock.