Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version

Sturmgewehre

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the pistol. If you want to collect it and put it away as a family heirloom, buy the Italian gun. If you want to shoot it, buy either. The American guns run every bit a good as the Italian guns. They are made on the same machines by the same company just in two different locations. There might be some minor differences as there will be when you have multiple teams making things, and the American plant is gear towards manufacturing military M9's which have different specs than the original Italian 92's. Whether or not the Italian plant is manufacturing to the same specs as the US plant, I can't really comment. This is pure speculation on my part.

The important thing is they are both very well made and will give the same performance. But if you want to buy one as a collectible/investment piece, get the Italian gun as it will likely retain its value better.

Coltman 77

I have a 1989 Italian 92F and it's finish is a bit better than on my American 92FS's, it's a bit more accurate too.

Other than that, there are no differences.

TexRanger

Thanks again. I really appreciate the feedback. In looking around recently, I have noticed more Italian-made models than American-made models on the market. Initially, I was put off somewhat by the polymer guide rod but given the comments received on this thread and the information on the Beretta Forum FAQ, I feel quite confident in both versions. Simply because of the availability, I will likely end up buying the Italian version.

Now stainless or blued??? I know that is another thread.

Thanks again,

John

Giorgio

IMO this, Tex. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• beretta92FS.jpg
    beretta92FS.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 7,102

JohnKSa

Administrator
Currently made non-stainless Beretta 92FS pistols are finished in Bruniton which is a coating rather than a traditional blued finish.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Well, they're actually not white, they're clear anodized aluminum. In person they have more of a metallic look.

I like the effect, but I'm ok with the idea that not everyone does. If they did I would have had to pay a lot more for the grips. ;)