benefits of CZ .223 over the Savage I already have

idek

I own a single centerfire rifle. A Savage 11FL in .223. It has an internal magazine (no floor plate) with a sporter weight barrel and their basic synthetic stock. I replaced the Accu-Trigger with a Timney trigger (not because the Accu-Trigger was bad, but I never grew fond of the take-up blade thing). I've got Talley rings on it and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 scope.

It is basically a range/plinking gun. Nothing serious, no bench shooting--I just wanted a centerfire for something different from my .22 rifles (I have 8 of those).

The Savage fits fine and is more accurate than I am, but it's never really floated my boat. With the hollow stock, its balance is toward the front and feels heavier than it is (I prefer lightweight guns), and its looks are so-so.

I've been considering a CZ 527 in .223 since before I ever got the Savage (I have a CZ 452 .22 that I really like). I realize everyone's preferences are different, but can anyone with experience with these rifles tell me what I'll gain (or lose) by switching from my Savage to the CZ?

*I would not keep the Savage if I got the CZ
**I shoot lefty, so these are among the few bolt-actions available to me, but I'm open to other left-handed rifles as well.

Last edited:

RKG

I have a 527 in 7.62 x 39 and love it. Super handy; points easily. I put a Vortex Venom on it and pretty much limit plinking to 200 yards. Uses a single stack detachable box mag, which sticks out in front of the trigger guard; some folks think that ugly but I don't. Rifle has a single stack trigger. Unset, after a little adjustment, breaks at about 3 pounds with no creep and no over travel. Set (by pushing trigger forward) breaks at about 8 ounces, though I think I could set it off by thinking about real hard.

MarkCO

IMO, "Because I want one" is enough reason to buy a new gun.
This.

But between the two you asked about. The accuracy probably won't be much, if any different. Kind of like Chevy vs. Cadillac. There are much better and much worse, but the CZ is a more refined, better crafted rifle than the Savage. That is reflected in the price.

FrankenMauser

The CZ is a better gun, though probably not any more precise.
But they're heavier than similar Savage models.
And the single-stack CZ magazines are unnecessarily long.

I like the CZs.

But there's a sticking point for me:
The safety is backwards on the CZ.
For many people, that doesn't matter. But it is something that has always stopped me from buying a 527. Every other commercial rifle that I own has a cross-bolt safety that you push right-to-left, or some type of button, pad, or lever that flips or pushes forward to take the safety off. The CZ 527 safety gets pulled rearward to take it off.

Because 'forward' has been such a standard for me, for my entire life, I don't want to mess with one that works the opposite way. I use plenty of action types, all with different operation, including plenty with hammers and half-cock notches. But the backwards safety is a fundamental difference that I don't want to have to think about.
It needs to be instinctive. For me, that safety is a safety risk.

So, I would buy a Ruger.
Because I don't like Savage rifles.

Rimfire5

The older ones were 1:12, the newer ones might all be 1:9.

I have a 1:9 Varmint and is shoots pretty well.
It has a Mauser like action - the spent cartridge ejects when the bolt is pulled all the way back.
The magazine is very thin and a bit of a pain to load, especially if you want to load out near the lands.
However, the 1:9 shoots 77 grain bullets about as well as 69 grain bullets - but I only have shot Sierra SMKs and TMKs in both weights.
I have 7,000 rounds down the barrel and it still shoots about the same as it ever did.

However, my Savage 12 FV shoots more accurately and was about half the price (on sale for $320). I changed the stock to an Oryx to get the AICS magazine that accepts cartridges up to 2.500 inches O.A.L. The more solid aluminum platform improved the accuracy but by just a bit. The 12 FV shoots 77 grain bullets better than anything else. It is my most accurate rifle and is also the cheapest rifle that I have ever purchased.

If I were to buy another one, I would pick the 12 FV.

pete2

It just depends on what you want. CZ looks classier than the Savage. is it worth what it'll cost you to trade? That totally up to you. I got rid of a Remington 541 THB, got a CZ 455 American. Pretty even swap, the CZ out shoots the Remington hands down but your mileage may vary. A plus for the Savage is that it doesn't have a removable mag to fall out or get lost.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Personally, I like the wood furniture. The detachable mags are nice too.

My main question is, what is the accuracy of your Savage. Are you looking for better accuracy. I have a CZ in 17hrm that will shoot 1/2moa groups at 100yds

Both rifles have a 1:9 twist, so shooting heavier bullets still wont be ideal if your wanted to stretch the range out

if you want wood, you could get a boyds for either your savage

It all comes down to personal preference

With that said, I would caution against selling to get the next best thing. Every time I have tried to trade up I have regretted it and I wish I had just waited and saved up to get the new gun, and still had the old one. I only sell a gun If i just really don't like it. Or I have upgraded and am just not shooting it anymore.

I had CZ527 American in 222 Rem. It was very accurate. There were a couple things that annoyed me. As Frankenmauser mentioned, the safety is bass ackwards. It was a source of confusion as my hunting rifles the safety is the opposite.

The magazine is a bit tough to load with rounds. It sticks down in front of the trigger guard and it wasn't attractive to me. But more annoying about the magazine was the difficulty reassembling the gun after taking the action out of the stock. It's been a few years and I can't describe reliably how that's done, but there are several components that must fit together in unison and it was easy to drop a piece and have to start over. Maybe I am just a klutz, but that stuck in my craw.

That little gun recycled a few thousand sod rats over the time I owned it.

Scorch

CZ, no question. The CZ action is smaller and lighter than the Savage, and much more refined. CZs shoot pretty well, but probably not quite as well as the Savage. Weight of the two is pretty close, but balance and handling of the CZ is much better. And no one sits around admiring the plastic stock on their rifle after a day in the field.

T. O'Heir

"I want one" is enough reason to do buy anything.
However, you'd just be buying another more expensive .223 bolt action. It's a Ford vs Chevy thing.
If you're buying one anyway, buy one that has the bolt on the proper side. The 527 does come left(correct where you and I are from. I shoot long guns left as well.) They call it a "micro centre fire". Finding one might be an issue due to the Covid Panic. That applies to nearly everything though.

NoSecondBest

I own, and have owned many Savage rifles over the years. I bought into CZ a few years back with a couple of rifles. I will tell you that in my opinion there is NO comparison between the two in quality....NONE, NADA, NOTHING! CZ’s are also superbly accurate with the right load. I wouldn’t even think twice about it. CZ also has a very nice set trigger.

idek

Thanks for the responses. It seems appealing. It sounds like it's very well made, and the comments on its balance and handling are important to me. None of my shooting is from a bench or bipod, so something that feels good in the hands is a big deal. I also like the fact that the gun is purpose built for .223 cartridges vs just chambering a .223 in a generic short-action receiver.

I agree with those who say that just wanting one is a good enough reason. My challenge is I don't have access to shoot or even handle a lot of different firearms. I'm in a very rural area without shooting ranges or gun shops with much diversity, and I have no social circle of fellow gun enthusiasts who let each other try their guns. So I sometimes buy things online without ever having been able to try them beforehand. Usually I'm satisfied, but occasionally I have a "I want that" turn into "I thought I wanted that."

That's a big reason I ask for input here.

seanc

"I want that" turn into "I thought I wanted that."

Been there, done that! Could be a never-ending thread here :).

Since you already know what the CZ 452 is like (I'm jealous!), I think you already had a good idea you wanted the 527. You'll love it!

Before I bough mine (in 7.62x39) I tried out the Ruger American (gravely bolt travel) and Savage (wanted to like the trigger, but didn't). The shop I was at didn't have any 527's in stock, but they did have a few 452's and the guy said the 527 would feel about the same and I guess they do, mostly.

TOU

A few thoughts on the CZ 527's...from a guy that has shot and owned many many rifles including, Savage, Browning, Remington, Winchester, Sako, Ruger, and a few others I am probably forgetting to mention at the moment. All great rifles overall with pros & cons to each based on models and years/vintage.

Next, I have been shooting CZ 527's since the mid 90's (actually started with Brno's) in one form or another. I currently own many CZ's in RF's & CF's...big and small caliber. My 527's include 17 Rem (custom barrel), .17 Hornet, .204 R, 22 Hornet.221 FB, .222, .223, 7.62x39...and 2 custom chamberings of 22 TCM & 19 Badger. (I used to have one in 17 FB.) They do fine as is but also really lend themselves to customized calibers. I have owned many 527's in a Varmint (heavier longer barrel) and American (shorter standard profile) and even 16" carbines. I have swapped them ALL out to American profiles or carbines as this fits my preferences better these days.

Obviously, I like them and have long felt, while not cheap, they are the biggest bang for the buck going and more accurate than I am most days. (Sadly they aren't as inexpensive as they used to be...what is?) They are a TRUE miniature Mauser-based actions...with many features not available on other rifles. There are many things I love on them but am not going to do the big sales pitch on them per se. However, I wanted to address a few points...no offense intended to anyone.

On the magazine...frankly to me, their mags are more pro than a con as some think. The only real con is esthetics...they ARE beautiful balanced rifles and I'm more about function though. They do not get in the way while shooting at all even at the bench. They have NEVER bothered me. BTW, there are now 3 shot flush magazines available as well as single shot sleds. I have all the above on various rifles with different purposes. They are easily changed, reasonably priced and very convenient...VERY functional.

The safety...I have heard this for years. I do not own any other brand of bolt rifle and do not even think twice about it. It's like anything else and most of us own various firearms that are "different". Bolt vs AR vs AK vs pistols vs other pistols etc. You will develop subconscious neural pathways to adapt to anything...if you want to. Not that big of a deal to me.

Finally, they have a trigger that no one has mentioned yet...it's easily adjustable and can be shot standard or with the single set trigger option. Can you say LIGHT...it's either "on...or gone". NO other rifle has it and it is functional, not gimmicky (IMHO) the way the Savage "AccuTrigger" is.

Lastly, the best reason to get a rifle is because you want it...and most of us are lucky enough in the US to be able to indulge our wants with firearms as many times and in ways as we can afford. Best of luck to you!

ms6852

You want a CZ buy it you already have 8 firearms make it 9. You ever consider just buying a stock instead? As you stated it is accurate. Sounds like you got bored and are looking for another rifle to fill your void. You want light. Consider a Tikka T3 lite in whatever flavor your desire.

Sarge

I'm with TOU on the 527. I swapped for a blue/walnut 762x39 several years ago which groups as well at 200 yards as any rifle we own. It does this with bulk steel case Tula FMJ. My wife claimed it, early on and clobbered a doe with it at 220 long paces with s Barnaul soft point through the shoulders. DRT 10 feet from where she it.

chris in va

I have two 527’s, x39 and 223. One cool thing I will point out, despite being a ‘mini mauser’ controlled feed design, you can still single load with the magazine in. The extractor claw will snap over the case rim. Comes in handy when shooting off a rest and you don’t want to reload the mag.

The claw is a bit rough from the factory so a good polish job on the leading edge will slicken it up.