Beginning of of my reloading room..

Metal god

If you use or plan to use an electronic scale that plugs in and you have fluorescent lighting . Make sure the scale plugs in to a outlet that in on a different/separate circuit then the lights . I've heard the flicker/pules of the fluorescent lights can fluctuate the draw in the electrical current on the circuit and cause your scale to fluctuate .

I ran a dedicated 20amp circuit to the room to fix this potential problem . I don't use an electronic scale now but if I had the cash to buy one of the high dollar ones I would .

It looks like you have a drop ceiling . I'm not sure of the codes in your area but if he can run the wires in the ceiling for a dedicated circuit that could help avoid putting holes in the walls that need to be repaired . This would have been another thing you do before you start the finish work .

Sorry I did not ask if you were adding any electrical when I first read the thread . I should have gave you a heads up sooner to add boxes and wire in the walls before you closed them up :eek::(

Cheapshooter

Part of my hesitation was getting the time to stud, and drywall the room. I decided to just paint the concrete walls. It also gave me another precious foot of space. For the one wall between rooms that was already built using metal studs, and drywall on the storage room side I used a little creativity. On the gun room side I used Hardy Board concrete backer board. Then I filled the screw holes with concrete caulk, and added a few odd shaper dabs here and there. After painting it with the same light grey concrete paint I used on the other walls it blended in, and looks just like the other rough concrete basement walls.
I still need to put a couple outlets in. I have a couple circuits close that I dedicated to that room, and will use conduit, and surface mount outlets by each bench, and one in the area I can add another safe in.

Mike40-11

I use this Harbor Freight bin rack to keep various brass lots sorted.

binrack.jpg

Had it for 3 or 4 years. Don't recall the exact price but less than $100.

Wreck-n-Crew

Harbor freight is my friend...:)

Really looks good so far 1stmar. If your better half is like mine, they love watching a man work .... however mine won't brag too much on what I do no matter how nice the work or repair...lol I just tell her she is jealous of my skills:p

1stmar

Just using a plug mold strip so I'm hoping not too much damage. No fluorescents. Painting of the walls is done. Only have the bench and the door left. Will need to do some tour up I'm sure. That rack from harbor freight looks nice and similar to what I'm looking at. Trying to conserve space so looking at the wall units.

Cheapshooter

Have you got an idea of what you will do for the bench? I used the 2X4 Basics workbench kit so I could custom fit it to the space.Really sturdy. I got some 3/4 Lauan Plywood for the top, and shelves. put 3 coats of clear satin poly on it, and painted the 2X4 supports satin black to match the legs.
Lauan Plywood

Cheapshooter

Just using a plug mold strip so I'm hoping not too much damage.
For now I have a plugmold strip that I rewired with a 30' cord to reach an unused outlet in the laundry room. Eventually LOL, LOL, I'll get around to doing the wiring. Us 'lectricians kinda have a way of knowing how we can temporary things that just kinda stay permanent 'till we have to do something.:D

sserdlihc

In the beginning, everyone says, "more room" and "bigger space". When that happens and you do, you end up with other junk in there, that doesn't pertain to reloading.

1stmar

Bench is pretty much done. 2x4 basic with two 1/2" sheets of ply on top. Going to paint it cape cod grey with a paint that is 10x thicker then regular paint. Should be easy to clean. I have the bench mostly laid out in my head. Would like to get a Dillon strong mount or equivalent for my Rebs jr3.

There will undoubtedly be some junk in the room as I don't have a lot of storage in the house. I think the space will be sufficient. Will use as much of the wall space as I need to.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

OK, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :D
The room is 9 1/2 X 11 1/2 feet.

20X46 loading bench

Casting bench made from a steel two drawer storage unit that used to be in a supermarket video department to stor the VCR tapes! LOL, remember them?:D
I screwed 1 1/4 pipe flanges to the bottom, and made legs from 1 1/4 black pipe. Painted everything to match the black of the loading bench. Also a wooden dolly underneath so I don't have to break my back dragging casting alloy, wheelweights, and scrap lead out.

Gun cleaning/work bench.

Cheapshooter

The cabinets, again spoils of remodel construction. They were in a bank inside of a supermarket.

Still room for another safe when the boxes of old books, and vinyl LP's are gone, along with the old metal cabinet.

1stmar

Looks like you got everything you need in there. That's awesome. Wish I had room for storage cabinets like that. I'll probably be going with shelving for powder.

Last edited:

1stmar

Last few pics till I get storage and electric. Hopefully next weekend. The paint was a b**tch to put on the bench. I've never seen anything that thick. It was like the sand finish for ceilings.. Only thicker!!image.jpg

Cheapshooter

Still have a 12 X 18 X 5 1/2 inch sheet metal "hood" being made by a friend in the sheet metal trade. I am going to put a 4" axial fan in it, and run a dryer vent hose to a vent outside. The hood gets mounted over the lead pot.

1stmar

That's great, I don't cast. Partially because I don't have a good cheap source of lead and secondly I shoot mostly jacketed. That's a trick setup though.

1stmar

Next pic.. Again apologize for multiple posts. From ipad won't allow more then 1 upload at a time. Hate this photo shows poor planning. Should have ordered mount for single stage. Problem addressed will order today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 88

1stmar

Last pic. Have the storage mostly worked out in theory. About 80%. Will post more pics once it shows up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 100

kilimanjaro

If you have an IKEA store in your area, get there and take a look at their shelving and cabinetry. It's inexpensive, looks good, and could answer a lot of your storage needs. You have lots of room for a couple of hanging wall shelf units, they are good for powder and primers, keeps them off the floor and out of the way.

I found a couple of CD storage units at the local thrift shop, one CD wide and about 7 feet tall. Screwed them together and then mounted to the wall beside the bench in a 12 inch wide space, they hold all of my dies, caliber kits, and toolheads, and free up a lot of storage space.