Beginning of of my reloading room..

1stmar

Need some ideas for storage. Think some roll aways under the bench with plastic bins for brass. Maybe some shelves under neath for powder and bullets and cabinets uptop for dies and primers.

Eppie

I would recommend shelves up top with see through bins. Everything is easy to find. The cabinet doors will make the room seem smaller and more claustrophobic.

Down below get all the drawer space you can.

ranchito457

Nice looking room should work out great for you.The shelves and plastic bins are a great idea.But I wouldn't put your powder on a shelf on the bottom.I'm a firm believer of only one powder(the one I'm using at the time) in the reloading room at a time.Looks great

burrhead

You can't have too much shelf space. I also like lockable filing cabinets for storing powder, primers and all the small, miscellaneous tools. You can find them cheap at garage sales and used furniture stores. Also, two reloading benches are nice. I have one that's 22 inches high by 4 feet long that I can sit at for using a progressive and, a 36 inch high by 8 feet long so that I can stand while using a single stage. And you can't have enough electrical outlets or lighting.

Last edited:

1stmar

Appreciate the comments. Ranchito, since the shortage I only use one powder! Well one powder for rifle anyway. I agree, cabinets would shrink the space and I will avoid cabinets. Going to have some shelving on walls that are barron and I think a roll away table. Going to Home Depot this weekend look at some storage for power i am going to use plug mold across the benches.

I put a window in to keep the space open and glad I did. I have a lock on the door so the space will be secure. Hoping to start moving in this weekend, if not next for sure. Need paint and electrical before I move in.

Last edited:

happymachinist

We have the same brand of bins at work. They're pretty darn sturdy. I like the fact that they are self nesting/stackable. We have ours mounted on a couple mobile carts. For brass they'd be more than enough. Bullets I would say use your discretion. The wall hanging unit I have no experience.

Eppie

I'm a bit leery of that kind of stuff because it's always hanging there fighting gravity. With time plastic gets brittle and cracks then you have a mess to cleanup.

I prefer to use inexpensive ziplock or glad containers from Walmart, Target because they are see through and stackable, not fighting gravity. They work really well for bullets because they are so heavy. I cut the label describing the bullet and place it inside the container. If they get brittle noting happens and you get a chance to notice it and replace it when you pick them up.

If they are on a shelf I use 1" masking tape to make labels on the outside of the container.

eldermike

This is making me want to go clean up my reloading/arrow/string building/fly tying room up. I took over a bedroom and it has evolved into a MESS.:eek:

Eppie

Here are some bins that I picked up from Harbor Freight for AROUND $10, it was a few years ago. These work well for little parts

Last edited:

1stmar

I currently store all my brass in glad type Tupperware as well as small parts. I was looking for something I could wall mount and organize a bit better. I'm not averse to it, just looking for something a bit more structured.

Any recommendations on the bench? Stain, paint, poly?

Last edited:

1stmar

Hoping to finish painting tomorrow, but got a bunch of stuff to do. If I can finish around the bench, I'll start moving in presses etc. Went to Home Depot tonight, no good storage. Akro bins look like the way to go so far.

image.jpg

Cheapshooter

Finishing up my room....Finally!!! It's been nothing but an over crowded junk room with boxes of my loading stuff, tools, and who knew what for a long time. Since I finished the rest of the basement 8 or 9 years ago. It's in an "L" section of the basement, and between it, and the finished "Man Cave" is a laundry/storage room. Somehow, as I did the layout of the basement, the wife's laundry room kept growing at the expense of my gun room space.:eek: So things are a bit more crowded than I want. But with efficient use of space I got it all in. Ammo shelves, loading bench, casting bench, gun cleaning bench safe, fishing tackle shelf, and I have room to add another safe.:D
Pics as soon as I can get some.

Metal god

No laughing... I hate painting.

lol I've been in construction for 25+ years . Always paint or at least prime everything before you start setting up the reast of the project . That way there's nothing in the way , nothing to cut in around and you can paint a empty room in 2hrs . After you get most of the big stuff in , you just have minor touch up left . :)

The room is coming along though , looking good :cool:

1stmar

Cheapshooter looking forward to the pics...

I decided to paint the bench to spare it from harsh chemicals, even though I don't plan to clean guns there. I bought some deck paint 10x thickness of paint. Looks almost like an acrylic. Should be easy to clean. Even though it's finally getting warm enough to reload in the garage, I'm anxious to get this finished. Electrician is coming Sunday to give me a quote.

Thanks again for the ideas and comments..