Beginner....help me choose my equipmnet!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I will fourth, fifth?, sixth?, the Lee Classic Turret.

It's pretty hard to even make a logical argument for starting with anything less.

It will do anything a single stage will do, but a lot more too.... most of what a progressive can do.... but with better control of the process at a more reasonable pace for a newbie.

I use my Classic Turret to produce rifle ammo that shoots 1/2 MOA, or better, and pistol ammo at a rate of 200 rounds an hour.... and I can switch from one to the other in 10 seconds flat.

zippy13

May I suggest, what ever press you select, start off with the .45ACP. It's a nice big case and is easy to work with. Don't consider bottle necked rifle cartridges until you are totally comfortable working with the straight walled cases.

As for your loader selection, there's always the option of buying a progressive press and loading it singly until you are totally familiar with its operation and are confident to step-up to utilizing its full capacity. Eventually, you may find that you prefer a progressive for pistol ammo and a single stage, or turret, for bottle necks.

Last edited:

BigJimP

Lots of good input ...but given your methodical approach ....it seems to me you'll be a lot happier with the LNL. Plus you have the option on the LNL of installing their powder cop die .....and that's a big additional safety factor - that I think is really worth considering.

I've been reloaing for 50+ yrs ....and a single stage will be fine for rifle rounds ...but it gets really frustrating, because it takes so much time, when it comes to handgun ammo vs a Progressive machine.

I 2nd the idea - of starting with a forgiving round like the .45acp .....big, sturdy case - low pressure ...easy to reload and get your procedures dialed in and your confidence up.

The amount of money you'll be saving per box - makes a progressive an easy decision in my view - especially if you expect to keep doing this for 20+ yrs ...although, with the money we save - we just actually shoot more ( but thats not all bad either ). I had a day off yesterday ...but too cold and wet to go out and shoot Skeet ....so I hung around the house ....and loaded up about 60 boxes of 9mm ammo yesterday morning ...in about 4 hours - and went over to my local indoor range yesterday afternoon - with 8 boxes and had some fun ....( with 3 different guns ....) for a total expense of about $40 ....

jb683

I started with the Lee stuff, and still using it. I have upgraded to the Hornady auto charge for powder but the Lee dies and press work great. Lee's customer service is not bad either...

stu925

For the amount of ammo you're shooting on a regular basis, buy a turret press. The hornady Lock N Load AP qualifies for the 500 bullets if you're going that route. Single stage presses are great for learning, but you can do the same thing with a turret press and you will appreciate that turret later on down the line after you get comfortable with the reloading process. I wish I'd bought a turret press 15 years ago when I started reloading, that being said, I would never part with either of my 2 rockchucker presses. I still use the rockchuckers for rifle cartridges.

Stu

jake556

I purchased a RCBS master reloading kit I love it. Now I purchased a Dillon 550 to ramp up the output. Most guys I know have 2 presses Dillion for .223, .45ACP, RCBS for large rifle calibers. I will always keep my RCBS I also use it to resize my .223 so I dont get my 550 full of crap.

billnourse

If you are going to load 500 rounds a week, a progressive is the only way to go or you will spend a great deal of time reloading. I have a Dillon 550 and it is a great system. I can load 250 to 300 per hour without pushing myself. It can be used as a single stage in a pinch if you are concerned with making a mistake as a new loader. I have a single stage RCBS RockChucker for rifle loading.

The Dillon has a warranty that is unequaled in the reloading world, and customer service is second to none.

Bill