Bears? How 'bout freakin' coyotes?!

Tom2

Just read where a woman was killed by coyotes, hiking in a forest in Nova Scotia in Canada. No idea why they attacked her I guess. Everyone worried about bears, cougars, now freakin yotes? Those things are all over the place, not just out west like big bears and cougars. So maybe we should start a thread on best coyote guns to carry while hiking, instead of just bears! I guess all of nature sees us as a snack if it is feasable for them. People forget that. Hmm. Maybe best gator guns for Fla. hikers, if those suckers start getting brave enough to shadow trails!

stevelyn

That's what happens when the majority of the humanoid species willingly forfeit their position of apex predator at the top of the food chain.

mikejonestkd

The ones I've seen in the Adirondacks are BIG - probably over 50 pound and they have shown that they are genetically crossbred with wolves....

Time to rethink carrying one of my .22lrs in the woods as a trail gun..

I was living in North Florida when one of my dogs was killed by coyotes. Spent the following few nights putting down breeding pairs. If they'll attack a 95lb Labrador, they'll attack a child.

I've seen them wandering downtown in three medium-sized cities.

As far as protection, .357 is plenty, as is almost any centerfire rifle caliber.

probably over 50 pound and they have shown that they are genetically crossbred with wolves.
I always thought the two species avoided each other. Still, if they're interbreeding, that's a bad sign.

rantingredneck

They'll interbreed with wolves and dogs, producing larger, bolder hybrids. Here in NC the reintroduction of the red wolf is threatened by 'yotes. They're interbreeding and producing reproductive offspring that will eventually, due to sheer numbers on the 'yote side, dilute the population of red wolves down to nothing but hybridized coyotes.

In a small town in NJ not long ago there were two attacks on children within a couple weeks. Both survived only because an older sibling stepped in and challenged/fought off the 'yote.

I live in a small subdivision out in the country and we have them around here. Cats missing. Small dogs missing. Hear the 'yotes about every night.

azredhawk44

I've got 'em running around in well established neighborhoods in AZ that are more than 15 years old and miles from open desert or fields.

I won't walk my dog (60 pound lab/pit/akita mix) without a gun. They're bold. A pair of 'em tried to steal a neighbor's jack russell right off the leash.

If you see 'em: "I was in fear of my life, they were acting aggressively towards me, so I shot them." They've forgotten that Man is the top of the food chain.

mikejonestkd

http://www.defendersofwildlife.org/...zine/summer_2008/the_trickster_heads_east.php

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May05/coyotes.study.ssl.html

Cornell University has done research that has concluded that they ( US North Eastern Coyotes ) share on average 25% of the same DNA as Eastern Wolves in Canada....that means that they are bigger, meaner and have different pack and hunting traits.

Not a friendly animal to meet in the woods, especially if there are more than a few of them at a time.

Last edited:

Hook686

Coyotes Kill Woman in Canadian ParkBy ROB GILLIES, AP
posted: 2 HOURS 38 MINUTES AGOcomments: 149filed under: Animal News, National NewsWith HP wireless printers, you could have printed this from any room in the house. Live wirelessly. Print wirelessly.

PRINT|E-MAILMOREText SizeAAATORONTO (Oct. 28) -- Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.
The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.
She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.
Skip over this content

LW Communications, CP / AP
Singer-songwriter Taylor Mitchell, 19, died after being attacked by coyotes in a Canadian national park. She "was so excited about the future," her manager said.
Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.
Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.
Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.
"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."
Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.
Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.
Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.
"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.
An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.
"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."
Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.
"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2009-10-28 18:21:42

http://news.aol.com/article/coyotes-kill-musician-taylor-mitchell-in/741093

I am sure glad the Feds went for allowing CCW in National Parks ... don't leave home without one.

brmfan

I was alone at the range about 9 months ago, and while changing targets I happened to look over my shoulder and one was about 15 feet behind me just standing there looking at me. I left my rifle on the bench, but it was a small bugger so I just said the NJ version of "Shoo" (use your imagination) and it beebopped off into the bushes. It was an interesting encounter to say the least!

raftman

Sure they're dangerous, but does it take more to defend against them than it takes to defend against 2-legged attackers? If you carry something you're confident will suffice if attacked by a 170 pound man, I would speculate it'll work just fine against an animal less than one third of that size. Their size and speed make them more difficult targets however so carry whatever you shoot well and fast.

That's why people tend to discuss bears rather than coyotes, because bears require more firepower to defend against than people, coyotes, not so much.

comn-cents

I live in a pretty large and busy city in Oregon. I had two, they looked young, come into my back yard and kill my cat. I started looking into it and there happened to be a few attacks on kids. One high school kid was walking home from school (3-4 o'clock) and two yotes started following him. One got so close that he kicked at it to get away. LEO's can't do anything about it. Shoot all you can!

brmfan

Raftman: I have a 70 lb german shepard mix that can put up quite a tussle when he wants to bogart our blanket at night! ;) Seriously, though... I used to wrestle heavyweight in HS and some in college, and I think I can take on a 60-70 lb yote. But if one were to come at me, especially in broad daylight, I'd be more worried about rabies or other such biological issues. No.. I'm pulling my CCW if that ever happens if nothing other than to avoid being bitten or scratched only to contract something nasty later on.

rgates

Coyotes have flourished because the hides are no longer worth anything.
My father in law used to hunt and trap fox. Coyotes come to the same calls and trap baits. I used to go with him in the early 80's when fox hides would bring over $100.00 each. Coyotes $35.-$45.00. By the late 80's, the last sale he went to fox was $25.-$35.00. Coyotes wouldn't even sell. It was no longer worth the trouble and work. They're really plentifull and getting braver. Outdoor cats don't last long anymore. I've seen them bring down a large deer and devour it faster than you can imagine so I'm sure they would take on a lone human with no problem. I live out in the country and see them quite often and of course hear them singing at night.

Last edited:

Newton24b

coyotes attack in packs. in my area one or two will come up in front of you while a dozen circle around, nothing like being bent over a deer wiht just a knife and a compound bow when you have 20 coyotes that weigh an easy 70 pounds each.

since they have large number packs most of the time, most handguns are out unless you have the luxury of a AR pistol with a 45 round magazine in it.

2DaMtns

My sister in law was out walking with my nephew one day and one came up on them. She said she was gonna start walking with a big stick, and I recommended a pistol or shotgun. I don't think she took me very seriously. Last winter, my brother (her husband) and I were shooting on an old farm above his house, and the snow was beaten down all over the farm with yote tracks. I hope to get up there deer hunting and wouldn't be above dropping a few of them too. I don't know what the OP had in mind for defense, but I imagine whichever rifle I have on me will suffice, be it the 357, 300 savage, or 280 Rem. :D:D:D

A guy I know shot one last week that I believe was 58 lbs. They're getting big, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Trooper Tyree

I was going into town around 11:45am the other day and saw a large doglike animal crossing the road ahead of me. As I got closer I saw it was a massive coyote. He trotted back across the road and into the field, stopping about 50' off the road to watch me. I pulled to a stop and watched back. :D

It's been a good year for them, the mice/rat/rabbits have been thick. He was BIG, bigger than your average dog, which is odd because they are usually on par if not a little smaller than the average dog. I've seen some pretty darn big coyotes around here over the last few years though, and we've had some trouble with dumped off dogs going feral and inbreeding with the coyotes. This guy didn't show any signs of dog, and was in fact a beautiful example of a coyote with lots of red and gray in his coat, blending in perfectly with the reds and grays of the background vegetation. Handsome as he was he sat there watching me within a stones throw in mid afternoon, and within rifle shot of a ranchers house and cattle. Had I been on foot I'd have been a bit concerned.

That was actually my first thought when I saw him and saw his lack of fear towards me, was, with coyotes this big, I'd better be a bit more careful this year. :eek:

Nnobby45

Sure they're dangerous, but does it take more to defend against them than it takes to defend against 2-legged attackers?

Well, I understand that Coyotes that live around people in urban areas have taken many pets, and even attacked children. I'd have concern. I live in a semi rural area in N. Nv, and have had them on my porch, in my back yard, and seen them running down my street at night. Can always tell when they come around---neighbors' dogs get carried away. Pets are at risk, but not people, so far.

But aren't we over doing the danger stuff just a little.

Now, after many hundreds of thousands, or more like millions, of encounters between humans and coyotes in wild environments, we have what looks to be ONE documented attack resulting in death. I think coyotes would have to be way down on the danger list. Authenticated attack in my state doesn't exist, to my knowledge. 70 lb. coyotes? I'd say 40 lb. is good size, and 50 would be very big.

brmfan

Newton: Excellent point about how a couple distract while the rest set up the attack. All the more reason to be vigilant.

Trooper Tyree

As Nobby pointed out, coyotes attacks are as rare as hens teeth. I'm not afraid of them, have no reason to be afraid of them, I've encountered them out and about before on foot and they've never bothered me, I grew up around and with them. Contrary to what I'm seeing posted here, you're really not likely to be attacked or even encounter a pack of 20 coyotes. I see them pack hunt in the winter some, and hear them yodeling through the fields, but most of the year they hunt and travel alone.

However, I am more cautious about the ones that get used to humans, and think it's a good practice to pop the ones that get to coming around your backyard and have lost their fear of humans, if for no other reason than to protect livestock. I have no little dogs personally, and am not attached to my neighbors...:rolleyes: Quite the opposite actually. :p

It was also my reflection, as I watched the big ol'd boy yesterday, that I don't take them very seriously because they are just "coyotes", but if that was a dog, or a feral dog, of the same size, I would take it seriously. I had to ask my self Why? I guess because I'm used to coyotes having and showing fear, whereas domestic dogs tend have little reserve in terms of attacking humans. With urban sprawl even just in my area, it seems the coyotes are ready adapters and quickly loose fear of humans because of it.

The problem is obviously to curtail urban sprawl. What are all these city slickers doing moving out into the country anyway? I say we feed'em to the wolves! :) :rolleyes: