Bayonet on an 870?

copenhagen

MTMilitiaman:

I think a bayonet makes more sense on a shotgun than it does on more rifles.

At least a shotgun is used at ranges where a bayonet might serve its purpose.

My sentiments exactly.

AmesJainchill

I thought the whole idea of a firearm was so that you didn't have to get close enough to use a bayonet...

That's one of the major advantages of a firearm, but sometimes your opponents don't sit politely at a distance and wait for you to shoot them.

deputy tom

AZ I think you did a nice job on your shotgun and like the bayo lug.I don't need one myself but enjoy seeing others tacticool stuff.My buddy has a Mossberg 590A1 (I believe) that came factory equipped with a bayo lug as well.He has one of those newer Marine issue bayonets that he likes to stick on it for fun.Surely a scary :eek:sharp item.tom.:cool:

mikenbarb

MTMilitia, I shoot my slug gun @ 200yds so I guess its not as close as what you think and would be hard to get em with a pig poker at that range.;)

mikenbarb

Its an accesory lug, Not a bayonet lug. I dont think they would ever say its a bayonet lug and offer it as that because theirs a difference between a flashlight and a bayonet. If so, Theyre getting MNS(mall ninja syndrome) and should rethink what their doing. LOL Im suprised the lawyers let them do it and if they knew a sharp bayonet fit on it, They wouldnt have put it on.:D;) And how long does a bayonet have to be to fit half way down the barrel(oops, 1/3 the way down it) and still be able to use it? It looks like its pretty far back to me.

Icopy1

My Mossy 500 and 590 both came from the factorty with the "accessory" lug. Bayonet must be another word for "accessory" at Mossberg.

mikenbarb

Show me one place on their site where they state its a bayonet lug because I cant find anywhere its mentioned by them. I think if it was ment to be a bayonet lug or they wanted shooters to put one on it, It would have been worded like that. Also, The bayonet lugs I have seen are mounted at the muzzle and not almost a third the way down the barrel on a magazine tube. They have it that way for a reason, To use flashlights and other items like that on them because the muzzle blast would blow a flashlight off the end of a REAL bayonet lug. Face it, Its an accesory lug and not a bayonet lug.:rolleyes:

Shiner Bock

Accessory lug = PCSpeak for bayonet lug. That doesn't mean you have to mount a bayonet to it. Mossberg may have stopped calling it a bayonet lug but that doesn't change anything, it still passes the duck test.

Let's see what the predominant common usage is. Google search for:

mossberg "accessory lug"

48 results.

Now search for:

mossberg "bayonet lug"

3730 results

I guess the PCSpeak is not catching on so fast.

mikenbarb

How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome). ;):D

L_Killkenny

BTW, lots of companies and people come up with stupid stuff to sell and they find stupid people to buy them.

Just becasue Mossberg offers the "accessory lug" doesn't mean it's a good idea. It just, IMHO, means that they'll find stupid people to buy them.

LK

Shiner Bock

I'm just arguing semantics. I personally have no affinity for bayonets on non C&R stuff but to each his own. They did use pretty big bayonets on the Model 1897 trench guns though.

daveydoo

Bayonet on any combat rifle and shotgun does have purpose. I am sure end of the world siturations (ie New Orleans, or the new big quake) and no more ammo but you still need to defend off BG. True slim, but it can happen. Trust me if I have shells I firing the gun first. The idea of perparing for all situration is not mall ninja. I have bayonets but mostly they are off my 590 and 590a1. But I need them they are not to far off. I also like bayonets on rifles. Lockflint and muskets look good in my eyes with a sharp piece of steel.

mikenbarb

Yeah ok daveydo, But what about the wanna b's that have them on their HD guns in the closet??? Now thats stupid!
P.T. Barnum said their a sucker born every minute and this thread is proving it.:D;)
And not too many people had their guns in New Orleans after the flood. They were digging them out of the mud and destroying them(local P.D.). Just get a tree branch and beat the BG with it if your out of ammo, Its longer and will be more usefull in the long run.lol.
And the point with the lug is how are you going to mount a bayonet on it when the lug is 1/3rd of the way down the barrel? It seems like its awefully far back to me to get full use of a blade.??? Or if im wrong, Please show me that one fits good and has full use of its blade.

daveydoo

ok Mike I'll hit a bg with a limb.:D What I mean by, like new orleans, is when disorder and failure of gov't to provide basic protection/serivces and one must CYA. Floods, and other siturations can happen anywhere. I also said you must be prepared to take care of yourself. I do not rely on gov't to protect me or my house. I am not one of the mall ninjas either but I am aware of what if.... happens. Sorry no tactical black bdu or rambo collection here. When you rely on gov't to bail your ass out like most people, you will be disapointed.

Take a look at pics here m9 and m7 do fit. Blade is not hidden by the barrel. like I also stated I have them but most of the time they are home. Major of time it is not needed, but that one time I rather have it than say Oh sh....

imp

mikenbarb wrote:
How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome).

If you look at spoolup's post on page 1 of this thread, there is a very good picture of a mossberg 590 with bayonet attached, and every inch of the blade is useable.

A rose, by any other name...you know the rest.:D