barrel length

Snyper

Why we don't universally measure barrel length from the FRONT end of the chamber makes no sense to me!
Because there's no quick and easy way to do that on many firearms

It's simple on revolvers due to the seperation of the barrel and cylinder

On other action types the simple way is to hook a tape measure to the breech and measure to the end, since barrel and chamber are all inclusive

Those complaining about BBTI's data are pretending those cartridges are only fired in revolvers which have always been measured differently

What they show is no different than a derringer with a very short barrel

357 Terms

The only issue I see is some keep calling certain rounds "revolver cartridges"
when reality is they can be fired in different types of firearms

Lol, you have to be kidding right?

95% plus of a firearms that shoot a 38/357 cartridge are revolvers.
I think your a bit delusional.

Snyper

95% plus of a firearms that shoot a 38/357 cartridge are revolvers.
I think your a bit delusional.
That makes no difference, and has nothing at all to do with the data on BBTI

They gave figures for revolvers and other types too

I think you're just dodging the question, since you still haven't given any answer

You probably think a 44 Mag is a "revolver cartridge", but two of my three 44 caliber guns are not revolvers at all.

357 Terms

^^
:confused:...(roll eyes)

We are talikingabout revolvers no matter how delutional you yourself may be.

Tell ya what Snyper, why don't you post a link to BBI on the next thread on TFL in which someone is asking for velocity numbers for a derringer, or carbine.

Otherwise, it doesn't really apply, does it?

.....oh wait, I forgot about Coonans (357's) and Desert Eagles, they can utilize the BBI data also, still, less than 5% of all "revolver" caliber guns made.

So you can still grasp tight to the BBI data at least being applicable to something. ;)

Snyper

Tell ya what Snyper, why don't you post a link to BBI on the next thread on TFL in which someone is asking for velocity numbers for a derringer, or carbine.

Otherwise, it doesn't really apply, does it?
Yes, it does apply since they also have data from revolvers

^^
...(roll eyes)

We are talikingabout revolvers no matter how delutional you yourself may be.
Why keep pretending they don't list revolver data too?

They have a seperate group of tests for revolvers:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html

Quote:
Below you will find a list of the 13 data sets for the different ammunition brands/loadings tested. Each one links to a page showing its performance with the three different cylinder gaps and over barrel lengths from 18" down to 2".

Each ammunition brand/loading tested is listed across the top, with barrel lengths down the side. You will also find a graph to show the trend for each cylinder gap over the different barrel lengths.

Guv

Snyper,

Their 357 revolver data is not very in depth. They list 1, 125gr 357 load and it is not a full power load, this seems a little strange to me, especially since the "full power" 125gr 357magnum has such a fearsome reputation, on both ends!;) I would think at least 3-4 of each weight and footnotes stating any deviation from a standard load should be listed.For years we had no "reduced recoil" 125gr 357mag loads, I think these have come about due to all the new light weight 357's available today.

357 Terms

What Guv said.

Snyper; look at the link I posted in post #9

This is the proper way to post revolver velocities, 5 different 357's (4 revolvers and a carbine) with 5 different barrel lengths, with ammo that shows the TRUE potential of the cartridge.

BBI, regardless of what you think, is a (very)poor reference for 357 mag velocities.

Snyper

Snyper,

Their 357 revolver data is not very in depth. They list 1, 125gr 357 load and it is not a full power load, this seems a little strange to me, especially since the "full power" 125gr 357magnum has such a fearsome reputation, on both ends! I would think at least 3-4 of each weight and footnotes stating any deviation from a standard load should be listed.For years we had no "reduced recoil" 125gr 357mag loads, I think these have come about due to all the new light weight 357's available today.
It may not be "in depth" and it may not test a wide variety of loads, but it's still not "misleading" because they simply give you data and details on how it was obtained. It's for comparison and illustrative purposes, and not to test all available loads

Snyper; look at the link I posted in post #9

This is the proper way to post revolver velocities, 5 different 357's (4 revolvers and a carbine) with 5 different barrel lengths, with ammo that shows the TRUE potential of the cartridge.

You should put up your own page with all your favorite loads, if your way is the "proper" way.

That still won't make BBTI's data any less valid
It simply is what it is