barrel length

44 AMP

Staff
At what barrel length does the 357 cartridge have a significant benefit over the 38?

Every barrel length.

Depending on what you call significant.

The .357 Magnum is a more powerful round, burning more powder and operating at much higher pressure than the .38 SPecial. IN every barrel length the .357 drives equal weight bullets faster than the .38.

In the shortest barrels the difference is not as much, but is still at least a couple hundred feet per second, and, depending on the specific loads, as barrel length increases the difference gets even larger.

tlm225

I agree. Out of my 2 1/2" model 66 the Remington 125 grain HTP clocked at an average of 1270 FPS. That's quite a step above a 125 grain .38.

Noreaster

Take a look at ballistics by the inch. The 357 does benefit from more barrel length but some of the newer guns aren't affected as much.

357 Terms

Ballistics by the inch is BS when it comes to short barreled revolver data.

The barrel length data they provide includes the OAL of the cartridge into the overall barrel length, so with 2in barrel data the actual barrel is .41 inches.

Take the data from BBI with that in mind.

kraigwy

I'm not buying some of the velocities I'm seeing out of short barreled revolvers.

To get, lets say 1250 out of a 2.5 inch barrel, using 125 gr bullets you'd be pushing the pressure limits to a dangerous level.

A reasonable, or realistic velocity for a hot 125 gr 357 load would be about 925fps.

I wont go into it because of copyright issues, but if one wants to see what happens try playing with "Quick Load".

The program gives a pretty accurate estimate of what happens when you make changes such as bullet weight, powder charge, and barrel length.

I have been playing with Quick Load and my chronograph and found it to be fairly accurate.

Now if you want to compare 38 vs 357, you can do it by lengthening the barrel on the 38 and shorting the barrel on the 357. But it gets ridiculous.

But if you want to play with different scenarios I suggest getting a copy of "Quick Load", its a fun and useful tool used in conjunction with a chronograph.

Jim Watson

To get, lets say 1250 out of a 2.5 inch barrel, using 125 gr bullets you'd be pushing the pressure limits to a dangerous level.

A reasonable, or realistic velocity for a hot 125 gr 357 load would be about 925fps.

The article in many editions of the Speer reloading manual 'Why Ballisticians Get Gray' tabulates muzzle velocity for Speer .357 factory loads from many different brand and length barrels.
Three different 2.5" revolvers gave from 1190 to 1208 fps with the 125 gr factory magnum.
Do you think their pressures are at dangerous levels for ammo to be sold at retail to consumers who know lawyers?

Guv

Ballistics by the inch is tainted. A 357 Max would stick out of the end of their 2" barrel.:eek: This would no doubt have an adverse effect on velocities and surely not represent it's advantage over a 357 Magnum or 38 spl. They should have cut and measured from the end of the chamber. Any practical, real world, barrel length will always have the 357magnum well ahead of the 38spl.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

As 44AMP and many others stated: Every barrel length.

It's all about the operating pressure. At higher operating pressures (357), there is going to be an increase in velocity with all barrel lengths across the board. 357 Magnum is a more powerful cartridge than 38 Special - period.

jmr40

Ballistics by the inch is tainted.

They should have cut and measured from the end of the chamber
Ballistics by the inch is BS when it comes to short barreled revolver data.
BBTI isn't perfect, but is as accurate as is possible. They list velocity 2 ways. In addition to using a single barrel that is cut they also use real guns with a variety of barrel lengths. If you look at all of the data it in no way is biased toward anything. My own chronograph work is usually pretty darn close.

Velocities measured from different guns with equal length barrels will often differ by more than 100 fps. Using the same barrel and cutting it is the most accurate way to determine how much barrel length really effects velocity. It does somewhat make revolver rounds look slower, but it is simple enough to use data from a slightly longer barrel to compensate for the length of the chamber.

SSA

Just checked 'Ballistics by the Inch.' Their shortest 357 revolver is 4". It gave higher velocities than their 6" revolver.

Ruger45LC

Don't believe the internet myth that short barreled .357's aren't worth it over the 38 Special, it's faster no matter the barrel length.

Just looking back over my notes, from a 3" SP101 the Remington 125 JSP averaged just over 1,450 fps and the 145gr Silvertip did a little better than 1,250 fps. With the 38 Special, the 135gr +P Gold Dot did around 1000 fps.

DannyB1954

You will always get more power out of a .357 magnum, but with most snubbies, the bullet is long gone while the powder is still burning. lots of bang and flash.
I prefer 38+P in short barrels.

I am told that the info at http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html is flawed, but the results should be equally flawed in all cases. If you think there is a one inch error because of case length, then just start looking at the results starting at 3" and consider it to be the 2" you want to look at.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
A couple of responses have me head scratching. It sounds like neither of the posters has ever seen a revolver. A round goes into the cylinder, not into the end of the barrel!

.357 Terms wrote: "The barrel length data they provide includes the OAL of the cartridge into the overall barrel length, so with 2in barrel data the actual barrel is .41 inches." If we are talking about revolvers, the barrel length does NOT include the chamber, either legally or in performance data. The barrel length is the barrel length, and a barrel that measures 2" is 2", not .41".

Guv wrote: "A 357 Max would stick out of the end of their 2" barrel." First, a .357 Maximum can't be seated in a .38 Special or .357 Magnum chamber. Second, if it could, and "stuck out", it would stick out the front of the cylinder, not the front of the barrel.

Jim

Peter M. Eick

38_357_max.jpg

This shot shows a 38 special (left) next to a 357 Magnum (middle) next to a 357 Maximum (right).

They are not that much bigger than each other.

As the Moderator posted above, you can't seat a longer one in the next smaller chamber without it sticking out a ways. You can seat a mag in a Max chamber though, but it is not recommended.

Last edited: