'Bang Sticks' in-shore.

Skans

I'd say it's an AOW, similar to a zip gun or pen gun. I think somewhere in the NFA regulations there's an exception for shark bangsticks so long as they're being used for that purpose. Could be wrong, but I recall reading a little on this topic maybe 10 years ago or so.

Skans

Here - from Wikipedia:

Revenue Ruling 55-569, C.B. 1955-2, 483 says:

"A device ostensibly designed for submarine spear fishing, but capable of chambering and firing .22 caliber rimfire ammunition, is a firearm within the purview of the National Firearms Act. However, such device, if permanently attached to the speargun shaft by the manufacturer, would not be a firearm."
Note that this ruling is with regard to the National Firearms Act, and not to the 1968 Gun Control Act. (The National Firearms Act defines 'firearm' as machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and concealable firearms that are neither pistols nor revolvers.) This means that powerheads may still be under the authority of the 1968 Gun Control Act with regards to shipping them and purchase of them from licenced dealers.[

Ricklin

???

I own a commercial fishboat, never seen a bangstick. We all carry shotguns, or an sks.
When I fish Alaska the charters up there keep a shotgun handy for the barn door halibut. You don't bring a 300 lb. halibut on deck w/o making it dead first!!

alaskaman94

When I fish Alaska the charters up there keep a shotgun handy for the barn door halibut. You don't bring a 300 lb. halibut on deck w/o making it dead first!!

i saw a 70 lber i cault do some damage to a boat i was on once.slipped rite down into the cabin and thrashed around... ide shoot any thing over 50 i think

my grandpa talks about having homemade "bangsticks"that he took spear fishing and crabing off the orgon coast forever. shot 12 blanks he made and stuned the fish....then again hes told me about breaking nfa laws many times....

Last edited:

Esoterix

I just watched a show on the Military Channel where two guys used a Bang Stick shot from an Archer's Bow or "Atlatl ancient weapon" into a Armored Breast Plate -- the kind from Mid-Evil Knights Days ie 1400-1700s!!! They used several different calibers and it was pretty damn effective. It was filmed in upstate New York and also in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I just found the show but they did not show their modern day scientist and his creative weapon using the "Bang Stick" explosive heads -- too Bad !!

Weapon Masters Shorts: Atlatl vs. Steel

Mike tests the Atlatl might against Spanish armor.

http://military.discovery.com/videos/weapon-masters-shorts-the-atlatl.html

Hopefully the videos will be updated or you'll can see it on TV later this month.

GA Limited GM

Interesting as I just read "Without Remorse" by Clancy. The character John Clark killed a drug dealer with a bang stick.

I too wondered about how it would be classed.