Bandana the deer...

fastforty

Well now, that brings new meaning to the term "Piggy Back" ;)
The piggy def needs to be dressed in a blaze safety vest though.

But, dragging=tenderizing :D

roklok

Like this ? I carried this bear out on my shoulders, but it was crossways, not in line with my back. Safety is a major concern where there are other hunters, a guy was shot and killed years ago on the mountain I deer hunt on back in PA carrying out a deer on his back.

Attachments

• scan0018.pdf
    365.2 KB · Views: 34

Uncle Buck

As I can not rely on having a youngster to help drag, my back will not allow me to carry, I have resorted to using a two wheeled carriage. Basically it is made out of two big bicycle tires held with an axle and a handle.
It is great going in also. It carries the lunch bucket, the thermos, and all the other essential gear need for a relaxing day of enjoying the world. But when I do use it to pull my deer out, I wrap the deer in one of those cheapo orange vests, like the other poster said.

Now if I could get the deer to pull me out on the carriage (he has four legs, I have two that sometimes work)....

phil mcwilliam

I've hunted New Zealand for red deer & the main reason they carry out the carcass in this way is because of the remote steep terrain - no chance of getting a quad bike near to where you hunt, & you need both hands free to steady yourself. I was recently on a hunting trip with hunting guide Paul Convey. Paul was a professional deer culler in New Zealand in the 80's & told me he was packing out a deer in the same way, walking down a ridge-line ,when a shot rang out from the valley below. He claims that he felt the red stag carcass move on his back as he instinctively dived to the ground while yelling a few choice words. He found a bullet hole that had passed through the deer side on ,just under the spine. It still is not compulsory to wear blaze orange in New Zealand, but tying some around a deer carcass when carrying out using this method makes sense to me.

troy_mclure

ive carried tons of deer out of the woods "fireman carry" accross both sholdurs. always gut it, and let it bleed out for a bit first tho.
i hang my orange vest accross the deer too.

and the blood stains in the shirt add cammo!:D

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Using a pole or pipe to carry a deer is a miserable deal if you do as shown in old-time pictures. Just tying the feet across the pole means a bunch of side-sway.

Open the deer all the way up the throat. Lay the pipe down into the body cavity and then tie the legs together. Tie the head/horns to the pipe. Result? No swaying at all. Easy for two guys to haul out a pretty big deer, that way.

Daryl

Brent,

I've carried several deer out of rough mountains, but the way y our buddy does it would scare me a bit. The animal appears in too much of a "live" position.

I skin out the lower front legs to the knees, and leave the dew claws attached (break/cut the lower leg bone off, but leave the skin attached to the leg). Then I tie each front leg to the "gambrel" on the opposite back leg using the skin that's still attached to the front leg. The dew claws will keep the knott from slipping loose.

Then lay the animial on it's back, and put one arm between the back legs, the other arm between the front legs, and let the "criss-cross" go behind your head/neck.

Then stand up, and the deer hangs upside-down behind your lower back. You can grab the head/antlers of a deer to keep them from swinging, and hang your rifle from the back legs (which are sticking more or less straight up) using a sling or rope.

You can always hang an orange vest or other visible cloth from the animal if you feel it's needed, but the animal won't be in a position to look like it's alive.

I've never dragged an animal out of the woods, mountains, or desert.

Daryl

davlandrum

Daryl,

If I did it your way trying to carry a mule deer only bad things would happen to me involving one or more of the following:

1) heart attack
2) back injury
3) tipping over and sliding down the mountain on my face with the weight of the deer adding pressure
4) a mountain lion would see a distressed deer and decide to bring it down

I am sure there are other things that could/would happen to me, but that is a quick list off the top of my head....