Bandana the deer...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have decided not to drag out any more deer.
It has to be a detriment to meat quality and it is a ton of work defeating the frictional effect of heavy critters on the ground.
I have decided to do it the way a NZ buddy totes out the hogs from their rugged terrain...
11thOct09hunt030.jpg

He also does this with the red stags so I know our little white tails will work this way...

Here is what I came up with to avoid being shot by fellow hunters...
http://www.armyuniverse.com/blaze-orange-hunting-bandana-22-x-22-p-3529.html
I figure tieing one or 2 of these to the deer's head/antlers will significantly reduce the risks...
Brent

ZeSpectre

If you got caught doing that in VA you'd get a heck of a ticket from the game wardens. Also I don't think a couple of bandanna on the antlers is gonna save you.

Doyle

I've seen the critters that are crawling on hogs skin down here (deer too). No way I'd want that on my back. That's why I bought one of those game carts.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
1) Cooties wash right off... Many will crawl off as the body temp drops during dressing.

2) What would the violation be for toting out the deer versus dragging it on the ground?

3) I figure if the head is partially blocked from view by a blaze orange "do-rag" most won't even see it and those that do will have to see the orange... I guess I will add an extra to the deer's back as well for good measure...

Sand and flora is a bugger to rinse out of the cavity...:D
Brent

ZeSpectre

What would the ticket be for?
Well now you got me questioning my own statement so I went back and searched where I thought the regulation was. Apparently I was mis-remembering another regulation about carrying across boundaries and nothing to do with actually carrying the carcass. As long as "blaze orange" is visible for 360 degrees on the hunter there is no violation in VA.

In short, oops, I was wrong on that one. Sorry. :eek:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
If junior is with me, he will help out but he thinks it is too much to ask to do the things younger folks used to do for their elders...:rolleyes:
Brent

bcarver

dragging animals

I shoot mine in roads or fields or someplace I can drive a four wheeler.
It would have to be a huge buck for me to shoot otherwise and it is always easy getting someone to drag a huge buck.
I also learned not to shoot doves that will fall in thickets.

shortwave

Hey hogs, I`d sure wrap alot more HO around my and the hogs butt if I were gonna do that. Someone sent me a pics. of an 1800lb. pig shot in Fla. No info, just pics. May take you and Jr. both to pack that one:D P.S. Do you know of any new gigantic hogs shot in Fla. lately? Pic. shows the hunter(a pharmaceutical guy I think) and the massive hog.

zahnzieh

I think if i saw you coming out of the woods with a big ole hog on your back wearing a day-glo orange bandana i would pee myself laughing. Why not make him a little orange outfit!!:D:D:D

snipecatcher

When my stepbrother and I were kids, 8-10 years old, we would go pig hunting with my uncle and his dogs, and we would pack the pigs out on our backs. I've never seen it done that way though. He would gut them first, so we walked out of the woods with a blood soaked shirt and blood caked in our hair. You've never taken a better shower.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The guy in the pic also guts every pig before toting it. But he is very good at it. He also often has creeks nearby to rinse them I guess.
But the terrain he is in is not conducive to dragging as you can see in the pic.
Brent

jdscholer

Or ya could try the "two guys and a pole method". It looks pretty good on the old movies, but I guarantee you will only try it once; and not for very far. jd