Band of Brothers Buck Compton dead at 90

tulsamal

It is sad that the nation won't lower the flags to half staff for this man, but they sure did for a drug addict/ alcoholic singer.

You know, that's a great idea. Why can't we lower the flag for one day whenever somebody with the Congressional Medal of Honor dies? There are only something like 84 of them alive right now so it isn't like it happens once a week or something!

Seems like a fitting final honor.

Gregg

clemsonal

Currahee's

The mountain that the Band of Brothers were running up everyday, was Currahee Mountain in Toccoa,Ga. This was their training they took before going to Benning for jump school. The 506th Infantry (Currahees) have a great museum in Toccoa, and you can hike or run up Currahee Mountain. If you are anywhere close to Toccoa, you should take this visit!! !http://www.506infantry.org/toccoahistory.html

Splittoe

What a great man. All those WWII men are leaving us guys so, when you have the chance make sure and thank one in person...

mitchntx

My dad told us in general terms where he was and when during WWII, but he never went into great detail. I think part of it is that he never wanted to talk up his role, since forward elements like the 101st had it everything so much harder.

<snip>

I've thought of more questions since then, but I will never get more stories.

Regards,
Tom

Thank God for folks like your Dad.

My Dad was in the 1st Infantry and earned three invasion medals (North Africa, Sicily and Normandy - Omaha), Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

He was a POW in North Africa and was liberated at Tobruck before boarding a POW ship.

Took out a machine gun nest in Sicily with a mortar that had his group pinned down. The motar shot was made out of cover while under direct fire from a second nest.

At Omaha, his landing troop carrier was hit by artillery about 400 yards off shore. He carried shrapnel in his back the rest of his life.

And honestly, that is about all I could ever get out of him. I lost him in 2000 and squandered so many opportunities.

NWPilgrim

From what I saw in the movie of his character he was a courageous, caring, and full in leader. I've watch Band of Brothers so many times and his character, Winters, and Spier are especially fascinating. I find myself wondering from whence come such men?

I lost my Dad a few years ago. He was a WWI Marine fought at Kwajalien, Guam, Okinawa, others, and was prepping to land around Tokyo. He died a terrible lingering death from Parkinsons. But you know, I couldn't help think what a wonderful life he had after surviving WWII, in spite of how it ended. I know he considered it a fair trade of sorts.

There were an awful lot of heroic men from that generation. I think we are seeing an equally courage generation in service right now. I am astounded and how well our troops perform under such harsh conditions and what seem to me as a civilian ridiculous ROE. WWII was a heroic period in time for our country and I think we are seeing it again. For that matter I've been an awful lot of Vietnam vets like my brother who did and survived the unimaginable conditions and bidding of our country.

RIP Buck, your memory is immortalized for us in film. Thanks for serving our country.

tulsamal

I think we are seeing an equally courage generation in service right now.

Especially the ones that have gone over there again and again and again....

I don't know how they do it.

Or how their families do it!!

Gregg