Backpacking Shotgun?

unclestu

One option I didn't see above: sometime around the late 1940's, Savage/Stevens made their single barrel shotgun in some models with a hollow mottled brown plastic stock. I think the plastic was called Tenite. The first real gun I ever fired was one of these in .410. Got a lot of squirrels with it later on, too! :D I've seen some in 12 ga, & bet they made some in 20 ga too. If you could find one in 20 or 16 ga it would be ideal for your purposes. But a new Rossi or other inexpensive single barrel will be a lot easier to find!

FirstFreedom

If you're actually going to be packing this thing a long ways, over rough terrain, you need light, light, light. That means single shot and rules out doubles, pumps, tube mag guns, etc. - too much metal on them. A single shot .410 would actually be perfect - take a few different shotshells and some slug shells for larger game. Or possibly a 28 gauge. Something like the Stoeger backpacker - very small, short and light - lightening cuts on the stock, etc. Or possibly a "Springfield" M6 Scout - can be had in .410/.22lr combo, or .410/.22 hornet combo (didn't know it came in .22 mag...hmm). If you take the large trigger guard off, it folds up nicely. I would think that you DO need one that breaks down or folds up because are you really wanting to carry something in your *hands* the entire time - you may want your hands free to negotiate steep areas, etc. using your hands, and how are you gonna sling the rifle over your backpack even if it has a sling? So that means folding up and putting inside backpack, or strapping to outside of backpack. Marlin papoose .22lr comes to mind if you opt for a .22 over a shotgun.

sm

Beretta used to make a Backpacking single shot shotgun that was really nice. I used to have one in .410.

I am real partical to the H&R / NEF Youth 20 ga. So much I gave my Mom one as a HD shotgun. I'm 6', 175# with 33" sleeves - I have no problem shooting this Youth model...felled a lot of game with one.

These come in Blue and Wood ( my preference) or Black Wood with Nickel reciever. Real nice Recoil pad . Fixed mod choke bbl , well Mom's for instance throws better patterns and slug groups than some really expensive guns, or those that have spent monies to shoot better patterns/ groups. B/T the one's I've had, and mom's - every bit of twenty folks have bought one.

Uses vary from Backpacking, Truck Gun, to HD...Fun factor.

20 ga ammo is available anywhere , priced right, lots of choices for pellet and Slug use is a plus.

That said - I really like toting a single shot 28 ga. That 28 ga needs NO explaining to folks that shoot them. Ammo is more expensive ( unless you reload) availability can be hard , no slugs...

The .410 - well I have taken a LOT of critters with the .410, slugs are too much fun, taken my share of game with slugs.

Everyone should have a Youth 20 ga single shot, and .410 single shot.

vega

Well, did you get the Rossi. How about a range report? I want to buy my son in 12g, my daughter in 20g and their father in 357Mag. ;)

vega

CarbineCaleb

I think the need for a firearm of any type is highly questionable. If you do want to bring something anyway, I'd bring a midsized handgun - 4 or 5" barrel. That way, you can still hit something, but this type of firearm will still weigh about 2lb - an awful lot for backpacking.

If you are going to be having a reasonably ambitious route, going over a lot of summits in one of the "high peaks" areas... one of the first things people figure out after a trip or two is that number, size and weight of objects carried are really to be minimized.

I have backpacked from NC to ME in the Appalachians, as well as in the Rockies, Cascades, and AK, and I always chose my destinations for the most rugged/spectacular terrain. What most people don't realize is that although the elevations don't sound that impressive, the rugged trails and elevation difference between base and summit make the premier areas of the Appalachians as tough to travel as anywhere.