backpacking handgun

Quartus

When looking for places to reduce weight for backpacking, the last place I will look is my firearm.

That about says it. It's true that if a backpacker doesn't pay attention to the weight of his load, he greatly reduces his enjoyment of his hike.

But you can get carried away. Cutting of the handle of your toothbrush is not going to make any difference to your hike, except to make brushing your teeth a bit less convenient. You'll save, what, maybe half an ounce? An ounce? Will that REALLY make a difference? No.

Same with the firearm. You need to balance the priorities. What kind of critters are you concerned about? Outlaw bikers or grizzly bears? Coyotes? Wolves? Mountain cats? Or two legged varmints only?

Carrying a .50 BMG with 2000 rounds of ammo will take care of most problems you might encounter, but it's probably not very practical. But once you've dropped down into the handgun class, is there really that much difference in weight between a .357 and a .22? No, not really.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
A lot of what's been said seems to turn around "what you might expect." Can't argue, but that's probably THE definative statement about any reason why we'd carry anything weapon-wise = what we'd expect to encounter.

Cities, I carry a 9 BHP or 66, but when backpacking, I'd not expect to run across the same level of yahoos as in town. As mentioned, I've yet to run across a critter that I had to defend myself against. I hope not to be proven wrong. But too, when "out here," The Wife has her own "smallish caliber" handgun (at worst - she does prefer a S&W66)

Always a trade-off in everything we do. Personally, I can't see a back-up handgun for CCW. I just see it as so much extra baggage, many see it different, & I couldn't argue, but just play the odds, I guess.

Hunting - I've got, at the least, a .243 rifle (usually a Rem M7 .308), but still always carry that S&W .22LR 8-shot anymore - it's just too lightweight not to have (I quit carrying a handgun 20 years back, but "re-thought" the whole thing with the advent of the newe lightweights).

One thing brought up though. If The Wife isn't going to be carrying anything, why I do tend to upgrade & carry either the BHP or my own M66/19 & almost always & we'll have an extended tube 870 with some assortments of #4 buck & Brennekes close by (car-carry). Something about protecting those you love ......

In any event, a decent caliber handgun these days will only set you back 20 ounces at worst (& a scant handful of C-notes ;) ) - personally, I'd like to have the scoots to grab one of Tarus' .41 Ti Trackers - wouldn't necessarily want to shoot it a lot, but it'd sure give me a lightweight sense of wherewithall .....

OTISZ

I usually carry a lt wt Commander , 45 acp or a HK USP with 45 Super hunting loads. Mostly for big cats. :cool:

sm

Hadn't backpacked in a while, though when In the scouts I usually carried one of the two 1911's that the troop leader had.

Today, day hikes, walking the farm, etc. depends. Still usually grab a 1911, have used the Keltec P-11, a K frame .38 or .357(got to get a mod 19!!) Toted the 629 4" 44mag. Again depends, not really a weight concern--rather be comforting than comfortable.

SteelyDan

Just a reminder that the cans of heavy-duty bear spray send out a nice little cloud to 20 or 25 feet. There are a lot of "gray areas," particularly with two-legged varmints, where you really wouldn't want to pull a trigger but wouldn't hesitate to use the spray.

Navy joe

If you hike anywhere in the east think feral, dogs that is, some places hogs. I think a large capacity has its place as I have seen sizable packs of feral pooches, they're not very nice. A BHP w/ a reload is a nice day hike gun.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
"Just a reminder that the cans of heavy-duty bear spray send out a nice little cloud to 20 or 25 feet. There are a lot of "gray areas," particularly with two-legged varmints, where you really wouldn't want to pull a trigger but wouldn't hesitate to use the spray."

Worst bitch I've got against the sprays is wind. Used a stream-method S&W MACE way back & even that stream (any spray pattern was an "accident" as opposed to the designed stream) was influenced by the wind. I'm sure any "mist-type" would be worse in any kinda windy condition.

'Course, when the wind blows it back in your own face, maybe your screams will scare the bear away ... ;)

Can't argue against any various levels of protection, but won't waste my time with a spray anything.

I did backpack for several years with a 6" bbl Python - a heavy thing, but didn't consider the weight as a cost - more of an insurance. That "conforting, rather than comfortable" thing ....

Even an all SST 66 2.5" tube doesn't give up all that much in performance & still gives the .38 wadcutter/download/small-game getter while still having a goodly punch.

Still waiting for Smith to come out with that Airweight in .22 mag (other than the politics involed, I think I'd snap one right up) - might even carry the .22LR AND the mag ... 'course a decent Ti or Al .357 with down-loaded .38s would cover that just as well except for ammo weight ....

Too nifty to have all the choices ....

cheygriz

Glock 17 9MM loaded with +P (NATO) hardball. With 17 rounds in the mag and one in the tube, I feel no need to carry extra ammo.

shootnthemoon

It's interesting to see all these post about so many guns that i either own or once owned for the very purpose of defense in hiking in areas of perceived threat. I feel it totally depends on where you hike.

I lived in Alaska for five years in the heart of bear country and had many encounters with the furry beasts but never had to shoot one in defense. My "peace of mind" hiking choice in big critter country is:

S&W 629 Mountain Gun .44mag

You can pack it all day and it won't break your back. It's got a great power to weight ratio, it will always go boom when you pull the trigger and can fire with great speed when necessary. Carrying a .44 mag means you're taking no chances. You can make a big hole that'll bleed a big animal to death very quickly. You can reload it quickly. The 629 MG is stainless - far less likely to come home all rusty and ugly. Best of all is the way it shoots. It's not half as bad as you might think a 4" .44 mag would be. I actually found it significantly more pleasant to fire any other .44 mag revolver I've shot or owned. The 629 MG's short barrel geometry tends to rock the gun in the palm of your hand more than hammer blow it. In short - the short 4" barrel is better! Factor #2 that makes the gun pleasant to shoot is the factory Hogue Monogrip. It dissipates recoil energy better than anything else on the market - bar none. Pleasant shooting = lots of practice = proficiency = confidence with a solid piece. My boss in AK carried a S&W M-29 for 20 years working for Fish & Game and he swears by it.

As for the "all around" backpacking gun of choice there's no doubt in my mind:

Glock M-20 10mm., Trijicon NS, with two 15+2mags (loaded with 16rnds each = less stress on valuable mags)

This gun will do it all the reliability / durability department and it's firepower/horsepower to weight ratio is unmatched by any other handgun. You can handload loads close to a .41 mag in performance but still have the reliability and hi-capacity of a glock. The gun is solid as a brick. You won't break it by simply dropping it. You can expose it to salt water spray all day long and it won't come home looking like a boat anchor. Even with "only" 16 rnds there's enough fire power to double tap 8 "nasties" without even reloading. This gun is hard to beat.

As for hiking where there is no real threat from animals or people. My choice would be the:

Walther P22, .22LR

It weighs almost nothing, is realiable as the day is long, .22 ammo is cheap and it's just plain fun to shoot. Good luck finding one though.

:D

eagles1181

S and W has a new .357 out in titanium it only weighs about 12 or 14 oz empty. Through in a dozen or so rounds of .357 or .38 +p and you will not be much above 30oz, and you will have a handgun with a bit more knock down. I have backpacked in my day (Boy scouts) so I know the 6 oz may not seem much but does add up. Anyway just a thought.

Eagle

Last edited:

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
I just don't backpack anymore. My wife and I still enjoy camping for a week or two at a time, though. And we always take several day hikes.

Up until this year, I always carried my P89 and my marlin 1894 in .44. The wife caries her SP101. It's a hang over from my days in the jungle, I guess. I simply won't go into the woods without a rifle of some kind.

Last fall, I bought my first revolver. Vaquero. I used that on a couple of trips this summer and together with my marlin, I feel adequate to anything I might meet. Single caliber for both also helps: 300gr JHP handloads :D

So what did I carry when I used to backpack? Until I found the marlin, it was an old win 30-30.

mapo

i carry a colt 380 govt steel with 2 extra loaded mags.
if i had the money and inclination, i'd get a compact 9mm glock to do this duty instead and keep the colt for the around town duty.

CAP1

The last time I packed I carried a lead weight SW 659 9mm.
Next time I will will either have the G26 or the pt111.
Maybe the p32 depending on the trip.
Comign down the mountain is what's killer on the knees. :(
CAP

marca

For hiking it's the S&W 686 Plus. Maybe a little on the heavy side for long hikes but for day trips it seems fine. Glock 26 when a holster is an option. Not a gun I'd want to toss holsterless in a backpack with a round in the tube.

shojin

My back county travel is split between northern cali and northern idaho. When in n cali, I carry a G 19 with +p 124 gr proloads and when in n idaho, I carry a S&W 41 mag mt gun stuffed with 250 gr castcore by Federal.

Radicalcleric

It al depends on what you think you might want or have to shoot. Our Israeli friend would likely only face mortal danger from two-legged creatures, so his choice of a combat semi-auto makes sense. If you plan on hunting small game on the walk, you will want an accurate .22 pistol.

If I am in the woods, my concern is for large, dangerous animals, such as mountain lions and bears, and the ever-present danger of criminal attack. I would not want to shoot anything, but must be prepared to deal with aserious threat. My "woods gun" of choice is a S&W M58 Military & Police .41 Magnum revolver. The hammer has been bobbed and the action converted to DA only. Still a big gun, but the most power per size I could come up with in finding an outdoors packing gun.

Baron Holbach

Bear vs. .44 magnum

Denfoote, do you have the link to the story about the camper defending himself with a .44 magnum against a bear attack?

Baron Holbach

Cheygriz's 17 rounds of hardball 9mm +P

cheygriz: "Glock 17 9MM loaded with +P (NATO) hardball. With 17 rounds in the mag and one in the tube, I feel no need to carry extra ammo."

Cheygriz, would I be able to carry a Glock 17 (loaded with a 17-round clip) in a fannypack? Hardball 9mm +P sounds good enough for me. I like your style.

Baron