Back to basics... Ruger wheelgun .44 Mag

Webleymkv

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk can shoot some ammunition that the Super Blackhawk cannot because the DA guns have longer cylinders which allow very heavy bullets (>300 gr) to be seated further out thus allowing for more powder capacity and thus higher velocity without increasing pressure. This is only really an issue, however, with certain boutique loadings like Garrett's 330 gr Hammerhead or handloads using particularly heavy bullets.

Up to 300 gr, it really doesn't matter and I, personally, don't really have much need to shoot bullets that heavy in my .44 Magnums (I'm perfectly content with 240-260 gr bullets myself). Honestly, if you want or need more power than a normal .44 Magnum can provide, it seems to me that you should consider simply buying a revolver in .454 Casull or .445 Super Mag rather than trying to run the .44 Magnum at the ragged edge. I, personally, feel no need for anything more than a good ~250 gr Keith bullet at 1200-1300 fps as that will shoot clean through anything I have any business shooting at with a revolver.

Real Gun

Perhaps the big bullets come more into play with the 45 Colt Redhawk, like one of mine once offered in 5.5" barrel. I also have the 45 Caliber NM Blackhawk convertible, bought to shoot higher powered 45 Colt, and will have to check if my Buffalo Bores will chamber.

I think the Redhawk in .44 Magnum, higher pressures than the 45 Colt, can certainly be pushed, but clearly Ruger would rather you did it in a Super Redhawk, which exists for a reason.

Frizzman

I have a 4" Redhawk .44 Mag. The aesthetics of revolver design are subjective. As for me, pretty is as pretty does. The Redhawk is the strongest of the Ruger revolvers according to a number of authorities. I have a S&W 629 that is an excellent revolver. I have quite a few Smith & Wesson revolvers and prize them all. But, the Redhawk is my first choice in a big bore field pistol. Its heavy and it usually rides in my Simply Rugged chest rig.

The modular construction is useful if the revolver is soaked from rain or a dunk in a creek requiring the internals to be dried and lubed. The solid frame and offset cylinder locking notches, heavy duty hand and bolt, front of cylinder lock, independent ejector rod, thick chamber walls, lack of internal pins and other engineering features reflect the advancements in design and construction to handle higher intensity cartridges vs the moderately evolved design of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

The Redhawk looks like what it is: a strong, durable, modern take on a classic weapon type designed to do what is its designed to do...I bought my first handgun when I started with a city PD in 1975. It was a stainless 4" Ruger Security Si x . It has endured over forty years of hard use and thousands of various rounds. I still have it and its as strong and reliable as ever. I view the Redhawk as a worthy decendent of my old Security Six.

44 AMP

Staff
How different is the build strength of this Redhawk vs. the Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk?

In terms of absolute blow up strength, there may be a small difference, in practical terms THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!!

Is the "regular" Redhawk capable of shooting hot .44 Mag loads?

All three guns are capable of handling any in spec .44 Mag load. Period.

All three will not be able to shoot ALL the POSSIBLE loads, it is a matter of cylinder length, NOT strength.

The .44 Mag round was essentially "built" for the 240/250gr weight bullets. Since then, we have learned some guns will handle 300gr and some 300gr+ weight bullets, due to the gun's size. NOT the gun's strength.

The SA gun is lighter, and so, will have heavier recoil, BUT, more importantly the grip shape means it will feel different. For some, the SA grip shape means the recoil feels worse, for others, the DA grip shape means the recoil feels worse. Very much a matter of personal preference.

For me, the DA shape feels worse with heavy loads. While I don't have a Redhawk, I do have a S&W M29, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I also have a T/C Contender .44Mag barrel, and I have a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum.

Each one of these, shooting the same full power ammo feels different. For me, in terms of sharp, painful recoil, its the Contender, S&W, Ruger and Desert Eagle, in that order.

The Contender is lightest, 43oz (10") the S&W and the Super Blackhawk both run 48oz (S&W 6" Ruger 7.5"), and the Desert Eagle is massive at 4.25lbs (68oz) EMPTY!.

Heavier guns recoil less than lighter ones, that's basic physics and no getting around it. Which one feels best, or worst, to you is a personal matter. Which one is best for your personal needs and use is a compromise between weight, size, operating system and preferences.

For most of us, the classic SA "plow handle" grip shape's ease of handling recoil ends at 44 mag levels. Many prefer the "Bisley" grip shape for 44 Mag and above level recoil. I run oversize grips (pachmayr) on my SuperBH, and I don't think its all that bad.

I also, don't shoot bullets over the 240/250gr weight class, either, so my experience is somewhat subjective on that matter.

If it were me, I would get the Redhawk that is locally available. Redhawks aren't very common. If you don't like it, sell it, and get something else.

rtpzwms

44 AMP
The SA gun is lighter, and so, will have heavier recoil, BUT, more importantly the grip shape means it will feel different. For some, the SA grip shape means the recoil feels worse, for others, the DA grip shape means the recoil feels worse. Very much a matter of personal preference.

For me, the DA shape feels worse with heavy loads. While I don't have a Redhawk, I do have a S&W M29, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I also have a T/C Contender .44Mag barrel, and I have a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum.

Both true. I've shot many Ruger Super Blackhawks and Redhawks over the years and I just don't like the feel of the recoil of either. Both seem sharp to me and not pleasant to shoot for an extended period of time. For me the best feeling from a grip and a recoil perspective was a Dan Wesson 44 I have both the V and the VH barrels. It weighs in about 4lbs depending on barrel choice. But the 44 with an 8" scoped barrel is very noise heavy but recoils like a 9mm and is usable to 100+ yards without too much effort. I too have a T/C with a 44 barrel. 10 inches and all I can say is ouch. don't get me wrong it is very accurate but on the painful side.

44 AMP

Staff
10", one of those lovely thin octagon barrels. First time I fired it at the range, I said a very bad word, out loud! ;)