Back from New Orleans

Matis

XavierBreath,

Your posts have given me a problem.

Your descriptions of those you rescued have ruined my easy ability to (mis?) characterize them.

Not comfortable for me, but necessary.

You are IMO much better than a cut above the average.

So thank you very much -- on two levels,

matis

QuickTrig

XB, Your what young, honorable, people strive to be....If thats not a role model right there, I dont know what is. Great Job

boofus

I guess that makes me feel alot better about the 200,000+ people Houston will be taking in shortly. The media made it seem like the majority of the people that stayed were criminals and ne'er do wells waiting for the law to break down so they could party.

XavierBreath

Rich, Gentlemen,
I am humbled. I really don't know what to say.

Today another friend and myself made a supply run to Darbonne State Park, which is about 45 miles away. Every campsite/cabin is filled there with a lot of folks doing the "primitive camp" thing. The State Park has waived any fees for the duration, but the Red Cross for whatever reason will not assist these people. The towns of Farmerville and Bernice have pretty much told the Red Cross to go suck eggs. The towns people are providing everything from meals to laundry services. These are two very small towns! Maybe a redlight between them! Anyway, we loaded up supplies and clothes and made a run. I did a bit of the nurse gig, but not much was needed. Yet. I find it appalling the Red Cross won't support this effort at Lake Darbonne. I don't know if it is justifiable red tape or just lack of publicity up there, but you have to hand it to Farmerville and Bernice. Those folks are the best.

I did not carry a camera to NOLA. Mike carried a small point and shoot that got submerged in the first 12 hours. We soon forgot any thoughts of photography. I don't know if I would feel right snapping pictures at the relief shelters or camp sites. To me it kind of seems like taking pictures of strangers in the bathroom. Something isn't quite right with it. I don't object to others doing it, I just don't feel comfortable behind that lens. I feel these folks need some privacy in their loss.

One of the nurses I work with has adopted a family of five, and has actually allowed them to move into her home with her. Quite a few people are doing this. I'm a bit paranoid in that respect though, and much to protective of my daughter.

I'm training a couple of nurse friends in firearms useage this week. The same rumors have spread here. Supposedly violence in the streets at our Civic Center. The police have debunked the rumors, but they persist. I have one woman wanting to buy a revolver from me, but only if I'll sell one for $100. :rolleyes: Right.

I'll go back to work tomorrow, and get around to see my patients. I wonder what they will have to say about it all. I wonder if I should even tell them where I have been. I will need to keep moving to get everyone seen, but it would be nice to get a couple of my old codger's opinions.

Monkeyleg

XB, you're a first-rate human being. If there's a few thousand more like you down there, things will get turned around in time.

You seem to have a lot of disdain for the Red Cross. I've become disgruntled with them over the years, and so donate to the Salvation Army instead. Don't know if they allow their volunteers to be armed, though.

mvpel

XB - it sounds like the Red Cross is botching things up with their anti-gun and publicity priorities. Is there some other organization that we should think about donating money to, for those of us who don't have your skills and who can't help in such a hands-on way?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I absolutely, positively do NOT want to turn this into a Red Cross bashing session, especially since so many good things are being said, but we need to make sure that 100% of the funds donated go to 100% of the folks that really need it. I said it in another post: ask any Viet Nam veteran that's had experience with the Red Cross, and they WON'T have kind words. When I was overseas and got word that my father was seriously ill, I tried for help from the Red Cross. They basically told me "tough &$(". :mad: The Salvation Army was the only one that actually helped, and they're the only one's I'll give to, to this day.

XavierBreath

A lot of folks are suggesting the Salvation Army. I like what they are doing. There is also a new organization that is getting the kids into their new schools so they will not be behind a year. Kids of Katrina School Drive Fund.

I had a similar experience to Charlie's when I was in Japan and my mother was admitted to a hospital with no vital signs. The Red Cross gave me a $70 loan at 5% interest to help me get home. :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, the Red Cross is helping in Louisiana, and in big ways. They just seem to have some directors at the local levels who care more about paperwork and publicity than people. It seems like every action is delayed by the paperwork it requires so the RC can be reimbursed.

I am not an authority on this stuff, and my perspective is very small in the grand scheme of this endeavor. Please do not let my thoughts influence the way you donate. Donate according to your conscience. I would not feel bad donating to the Red Cross, but having seen what I have here, and remembering the scandals after 9/11, I would feel better supporting the SA instead. That's my two pesos.

BillCA

XB,

First of all, God bless you. Your selfless acts on behalf of your fellow residents and your heroism demonstrate the courage and fortitude that all Americans should have.

Stuck here in the PRK watching the news stories, I think you hit the nail on the head, in your first posts, regarding the state & local officials. I'm surprised that the state & local agencies weren't better prepared, given the history of the region. I'm sure all of that will come out with the attendant shouting and finger pointing later.

My experience with FEMA in the 1989 SF area quake was fairly good. They were getting people to safe housing and bringing in trailers (about a week later) for temporary housing too. Somehow, by rolling FEMA into DHS it seems nobody knows how to walk and chew gum at the same time anymore.

See if your local town will help advertise the plight of the folks in the state park and ask for people to donate Quarters which can be used in laundromats. Other monies can be handed out for food or necessities. Alternatively, I'm sure they'd appreciate donations of personal-care items, especially new toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, deodorant and TP.

Well the RC botched the 9/11 contributions pretty well, but I'd hoped they got their act together since they started the policy where you could designate the disaster you wished to fund.

They have a damned good aid/overhead ratio but obviously still trip on their own bureaucracy. When we do our contribution from SWAT, I think it'll weigh heavily toward the Salvation Army for the human side.
Rich

Rabbi

Xavier,

If I was ever able to shake your hand and thank you in person, I might be unable to speak. I'd nod like a fool, though.

Your wonderful courage and generosity of spirit shines like a beacon for all of us.

G-d's richest blessings to you and your team.

Telperion

Thank you, XB.

It's unfortunate to hear about the Red Cross. I've just donated to them, because my company is matching my contribution 1:1. I hope that matters more in the end.

XavierBreath

I'm sure that donations to the Red Cross will be put to good use. They always have. It's just their processes for assistance is selective and tough. This is likely because they feel the need to track everything so they can prove where the funds went. After the criticism they recieved, who can blame them. Sadly, with the documentation comes a trundling bureaucratic monster. Combined with the Red Cross image concerns it is almost a self fulfilling phropecy of the pencil jockeys running the show.

The folks at Lake Darbonne State Park are doing fine. I cannot blame them for not wanting to leave. I go there with my daughter to camp and fish, the facilities are fantastic, and the lake is beautiful. Leave there and go to a shelter? No way! Interestingly, there is no coin laundry in Farmerville or Bernice. The ladies of the towns are taking the laundry and washing it in their own homes. They are bringing it back folded and pressed too! The real problem there is long term living. In late September the wet season will begin. There is one grocery store in Farmerville. One school. Only the folks with campers and no kids will be able to stick it out there long term, I think. Other families are being "adopted".

I think some of the finest examples of common sense has been shown by corporations who have hired their employees at the evacuation locations. These folks expect to be away from NOLA for at least three months, maybe up to a year. These corporations that have given jobs to their employees at their new locations include Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Brookshires, Lowes and Cash America Pawn. There may be more, but I am sure of these, they occured in my area. Many small businesses in my area have done the same. The stability of a job, along with the kids in school makes the rest bearable for many of these folks.

markwf

I don't know if this is the right thread but here goes. I will be in a position in mid October to head South and do whatever kind of relief work I can. I have no specialized skills, just an able worker willing to help. I have a CCW and want to be armed when I go. I guess working for the Red Cross is not going to work after reading posts by XB. Any suggestions?
Thanks