B.O.S.S. by Browning

Picher

Variations in powder charge must be great to affect barrel harmonics and may result in much lower velocity for most people's likes. Seating depth doesn't affect muzzle velocity to an appreciable extent, yet changes barrel vibration, hence is favored by many.

Bart B.

Picher, a barrel whips, wiggles, vibrates shimmies or whatever at the same frequency for every shot. Mild loads make the amplitude smaller than heavy loads. Why? The barrel's shape and metalurgy remains constant so it has the same resonant/fundamental frequency and the same harmonic multiples. Same as a key struck on a piano causing a hammer to smack the middle A wire string. How hard determines whether the sound is loud or soft, but the note stays the same; 440 Hz.

Therefore, the only thing one can change is the bullet's barrel time from case mouth to out the muzzle and the amount the barrel wiggles not its frequency. Check this site's page out:

http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

The one below explains how the BOSS works; it ain't like Browning says:

http://www.varmintal.com/apres.htm

Last edited:

Picher

I agree that the frequency doesn't change. It's the timing of when the bullet leaves that's affected by seating depth.

Regardless, seating depth is extremely important in tuning a load to the rifle. It often makes a greater improvement in grouping than minor differences in powder charges.

natman

Some of you guys need to try some hearing protection.

I was wearing plugs AND muffs when the guy in the next bench let loose with a 7mm STW with a brake. It was still amazingly loud.

reynolds357

Shooting beside someone with a brake is unpleasant. 90% of my rifles that I actually shoot are brake guns and it has caused quite a few disagreements at the range over the years. The only rifles I shoot much without a brake are guns for classes where brakes are not allowed. I always have the .338 Lapua with me and if someone wants to complain about one of the other brake guns I switch to it.

ff1911

I have a BAR in 300 mag with a BOSS. Started out with the brake version, but after shooting one deer with it and having noticeably more intense ringing, I switched to the CR version (Conventional Recoil). Given how much recoil the action of the gun absorbs, I don't see that you would need the recoil reduction that the brake would give; my 300 is quite manageable.

As far as the accuracy, the BOSS certainly works. As mentioned above, it does allow you to dial in a specific load for your gun. I am guessing that you aren't looking to enter bullseye matches with the gun, probably more along the lines of a "minute of a deer", so maybe you aren't concerned about tweaking to get that last bit out of a specific round. A lot of people will shoot a few different factory loads and go with what groups best.

Besides the accuracy and noise, let me say that the extra barrel length does make them a little more unwieldy in the woods. For the mag calibers, it nets 3 additional inches of barrel length; I can't remember if it was the same for the standard calibers, or if they were a +5".

Last edited:

Cowboy_mo

It may be louder to someone standing off to the side..but who cares?

Keg, if I'm the poor slep next to you on the range........... I CARE.

Keg

Keg, if I'm the poor slep next to you on the range........... I CARE.

I don't go to a public range..I have my own....If U are at a public one..U might wanna leave it in the truck....

reynolds357

When I go to the range, I go to shoot what I need to shoot. If I need to shoot a brake rifle; I am going to shoot a brake rifle. People need to get used to them.