Authoritative List of Good Gun Movies

Nightcrawler

Alrighty, the search function isn't working for me right now, so I'm thinking we should put together an authoritative list of good gun movies. By "good", I mean movies with very well done gun scenes. Bonus points are awarded for realism, good gun handling, reloading, tactics, etc. I, myself, prefer action movies over war movies for these things, but to each his or her own.

My entries are as follows:

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: VERY well done gun scenes throughout, with minimal mistakes.

Heat: The Bank Robbery scene is excellent, and the gunfights realistic, though the rest of the movie is boring.

There are more, obviously, but I'll let others add. I'm looking for good action/gun movies to add to my DVD collection.

4570Rick

I like older era movies. "How about Death Hunt" or "The Wild Bunch" :D

By the way, we need one of these "smiles" wearing a cowboy hat. ;)

Marko Kloos

Way of the Gun is the best gun movie I've seen so far. The two lead characters are small-time crooks with excellent gun handling skills...fingers outside trigger guards, proper grip, and muzzle control. They both carry 1911s in IWB holsters, complete with spare mag carriers. They use "shoot, move and communicate" to excellent effect. They use long arms to do the gruntwork in the big shootout at the end of the movie...a Galil in .308 and a Remington 870, both with properly employed tac slings. One of them does one-handed reloads of his 1911 for the remainder of the gunfight after injuring his weak-side arm. Their muzzles never cover each other, even when they clear out the bordello room by room with long guns. They act as a shooter/spotter team with a scoped rifle and binoculars when they set up the ambush at the motel.

For a nice lesson in the proper use of a J-frame snubbie as a primary fighting handgun, watch James Woods' character in the same movie, especially in the final shootout at the Mexican bordello.

liketoshoot

"The Professional" or "Leon" was just good movie in my opinion. I like the scenes where Natalie Portman was cleaning the handguns and trying to rack the slide, but couldn't. I liked her lunchbox.

"La Femme Nikita" was another good movie. It had an AUG with a supressor, and a Desert Eagle. How cool is that? Even though, given the woman's situation, a Desert Eagle was there only for the visual candy and not really practical.

"Brother" with Beat Takeshi and Omar Epps was pretty cool. Lots of good gun play between the Yakuza and the mafia.

ACP230

The Shootist with John Wayne.
In the opening scene someone tries to rob him and Wayne pulls out a derringer in a wallet holster and shoots him. The look on the perps face is priceless.
The rest of the movie has some good things to say about attitutde and a couple more good gunfights.

In The Blood is one of the best movies on hunting I've seen. It has the added benefit of having Theodore Roosevelt's double rifle in it.

Mike Dillon's movie Machinegun Magic is pretty neat too.
Lots of FA guns blasting away at aeriel targets.

MitchSchaft

The Patriot. The scenes with the rebel ambushes are priceless. They showed those scenes in Marine Corps bootcamp during a "Weapon of Opportunity" class :D.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Seriously good gunhandling:
Way Of The Gun
Heat

Just plain fun shoot 'em ups:
Boondock Saints
Extreme Prejudice

bad_dad_brad

Black Hawk Down. Makes me want to get an AR just to hear that buffer spring go sproing.

The Replacement Killers. Spares no bullets.

Pulp Fiction. Best movie on how not to operate fire arms. Classic scene when the guy in the back seat gets clocked "it just went off!". Then later on, one of the hit men describes his .45 as Mr. 9mm. Incredibly bad but fun!

MIB. I want one of those cricket guns!

U.S. Marshalls. "Get rid of that sissy nickle plated thing and get yourself a Glock."

And so many more!

Ben Swenson

Ceol:
Ronin?!?!? The same Ronin that I'm thinking of?

"Bastard sprayed his bullets with Teflon(tm)"
"Is that why it went through your vest?"
"Yeah."

I may be pathetic, but that scene just ruined the whole movie for me.

Give me Quigley, Way of the Gun, and Blackhawk Down any day.

DaleA

Here's two that might deserve an honorable mention.

The Boys in Company C
A Marine company in Viet Nam. A Maltin review of the film said "a good tough film that focuses on the stupidity of the military brass and the demoralization of the troops."

Cross of Iron
James Coburn as a German soldier in WWII on the Russian front.