• Makarov (PPK)

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • FEG PJK-9HP (Hi-power)

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • SW99 (P99)

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters

New_comer

I'd like to know your opinion as to the best to 'mimic' a popular handgun design.

We all know that "Imitation is the best form of flattery", but in some special circumstances, the clone is definitely the better buy.

1911's, now they should have a thread all their own, wouldn't you agree? ;)

For other designs that I may have missed, feel free to identify them...

Your thoughts?

DMK

The Mak doesn't have anything in common with the PP except that it's a similar sized blowback semi-auto, does it?

I voted for the Taurus PT-92 since its' the most "clone" like and is a very good copy of the original. You did ask "the best to 'mimic' a popular handgun design" not the best design.

I agree with Shmackey though. The Sig's a superior pistol to the PP.

Also don't forget the Jericho and Witness CZ-75 clones.

otomik

problem is your definition of clone is pretty wide
SIG P232 is closer to mauser hsc in ancestry
Makarov has improvements, it's not just a "clone"

kahrma

I voted for the SW99 (P99) "clone" because it costs a little less and it identical to the "original".

seeker_two

Bersa. Not only was it a close copy, it eliminates several of the original design's flaws. Taurus comes a close second.

Makarov isn't a copy of anything. It was a compilation of proven European firearm technology at the time.

SIG 230/232 is an improved design of a Sauer design from the WWII era.

And, since we're talking about close clones, how about the clones of the original .22 auto--Colt Woodsman...

glockorama

Um, yeah. The sig and the Mak are not PP or PPK clones. They are proprietary designs. FEG Hi-power is very good as are the Taurus 92/99 series guns.

Handy

The only pistols on the list the qualify as clones are the Sphinx and Tanfoglio guns, MAYBE the FEG. Guns like the Taurus aren't clones, they were made on Beretta tooling in a Beretta factory. This may seem a fine distinction, but the majority of parts are completely interchangeable. France and S. Africa also make contract 92's.

The CZ clones are design copies, but don't owe their exact internal dimensions to BRNO and no Czech tooling was used in their construction. I said maybe FEG because I think some FN tooling got to BRNO, but I'm not sure.

A real Hi-power clone was the Inglis, made by measuring Hi-power parts and producing blueprints, then tooling.

As for PP clones, many blowback pistols have the same slide profile because a tapered nose is necessary for the type of takedown which is simplest. That's like saying all tilt barrel pistols are 1911 clones-over simplification.

denfoote

I chose the Taurus, because it is a Beretta!! The Taurus factory was set up by Beretta for a Brazilian military contract!!!

Incidentally, Pistolet Makarova is NOT a PPK clone!!! True, the Soviets got their hands on the Walther "Ultra" project , but is is generally accepted that Nicolay Makarov was the independent inventor of the PM.

See "The history and development of Imperial and Soviet Russian military small arms and ammunition.
Vol 16: Soviet Russian postwar military pistols and cartridges 1945-1986."
By Fred A. Datig

Snowdog

Another PT99 vote here. I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine (after buying it used) and having had a problem number one yet.

MrAcheson

Both the Jericho (MRI Baby Eagle) and the EAA Witness are Tanfoglio products. Many major Jericho parts are made by Tan and assembled in Israel. I believe the witness is even more of a wholy Tanfoglio product down to the Tan "Wunder Finish".

DMK

Both the Jericho (MRI Baby Eagle) and the EAA Witness are Tanfoglio products
Hmm, I never realized that. You learn something new every day on TFL! :D

Although I hold a mild interest in the 45ACP Witness, I just figured get an original CZ-75. They aren't expensive like most cloned pistols.

Eric Larsen

The FEG and CZ knock offs are the only clones......

The FEG can use HP parts...and the Witness can cross "some" CZ parts....Sphinx is very nice in all regards....

The Taurus is as clonish as the others.....but is it a clone??????

The rest arent clones.....

shoot well

Scott78

I have to go with the FEG HP clone . Imo for the money "$260 "
or so , it's a great value . I have not found them to be Excellent
in reliability but for the money they are a very good gun , in terms of quality , and are pretty reliable . I cant understand why Brownings are going for $600 , when their doesnt seem to be a Huge difference in quality . Just my opion .