At Long Last - A trip to the range with my Ruger LCP

LockedBreech

Hey everyone,

Yesterday, after far too long, I got to take my LCP out to the range. I live in Wyoming, so for me the "range" is about a ten minute drive out to the boonies and some targets propped against sagebrush :p

A few observations...

First, you guys were not kidding. The gun is not fun on your hand. It kicks quite powerfully.

Second, my reliability was sadly terrible. I fed it two boxes (40 or 50 rounds) of 380. It was failing to eject or feed every other round. Tightening my grip and avoiding limp-wristing helped somewhat, but still there were at least 2-3 fails to eject or feed per magazine.

Eventually, I focused on what I think the problem is. I was using Buffalo Bore 95-grain 380 +P JHP rounds. The tips of the Buffalo Bores, when failing to feed, were catching on the feed ramp, and the edge of the hollow point was being actually being caught and bent on the lip of the feed ramp.

I had to start a trip down to Arkansas today, so I stopped by Cabelas HQ in Sidney, NE and picked up some Golden Saber HPJ 102-grain bullets, due to their smoother and narrower hollow point.

Do you guys think this will solve the issues with the warping? I can't find out til the weekend. Unable to rely on my LCP yet, my fatter but 100% reliable Beretta PX4 .40 is currently on my hotel nightstand.

As a secondary issue...my Crimson Trace grips I have played with a lot before making it to the range. The beam was always extremely vibrant and bright. After four magazines, the beam is almost nonfunctional. Is it possible the CT grip was jarred, or does the battery have a short life?

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for any replies.

-Cameron

jhenry

The Buffalo Bore stuff is top quality ammo, and I know their honcho, Tim Sundles, tested is extensively using the little Ruger, as well as with the KelTec and others. Two things occur to me, first and foremost is a magazine issue. This is always the first thing to eliminate when diagnosing a semiauto problem. Buy, beg, or borrow another magazine and test again. If the issue persists, then try the new ammo. If that solves the problem and you are OK with that ammo choice, you are done. Just use that ammo exclusively and be done with it. For myself, if it turned out to be something other than the magazine, it would be making a trip back to Ruger to make it right.

Kreyzhorse

If you are using the mag with the extended finger plate on the bottom, I'd certainly try another mag. I've got large hands and find that when I use the mag with the finger extension on it, my fingers tend to pull the mag downward in the gun frame causing it to have feeding issues.

When I use the non finger extention mag, I do not have any feeding issues regardless of using either cheap or expension FMJ or HP ammo.

If you try a different mag and you are still having feed issues, contact Ruger. They will take care of you.

LordTio3

^^^ This was my first impression as well. I believe that all LCP models are not supposed to be fed +P ammunition, and by doing so, you are proned to feeding issues and will decrease the life of your pistol.

Always read the manual first.
~LT

Claude Clay

whats been said plus

some guns, especially when new, run better wet.
be liberal with the rem oil.

with short barrel 380 & 32's i make the bullet lenths as long as will fit in the mags. i load round nose and carry RN for SD also. getting the bullet in the mag as close to the feed ramp seems to work ( for me) in my kel-tecs. YMMV with ruger as i dont have one but have shot them. just that i havent 'played' with one. k-t's will handle +p's; just dont shoot them all the time.

about reading the manual--seems a shame that till all else failes, so few do.

glenncal1

I use Hornady XTP im my LCP and have had zero issues with the gun with any ammo I have tried. You might need to polish the feedramp if other HP ammo hangs up as well. Ruger will fix it for you if it needs fixin'.

LockedBreech

To the mod who moved the thread, I apologize, I thought I had it in the right place.

I read the manuals for all of my weapons cover-to-cover. I may have missed the no +P bit, but I am generally thorough with my weapons. I clean after every shoot, follow every rule in the book, etc.

Thanks for all the tips. I will grab a second mag, steer away from +p, and avoid the pinky extension. I'll follow up with Ruger if all else fails.

I appreciate your time!

ttheel

You are not supposed to use +P's in the LCP. I have run Winchester white box FMJ's, Remington Golden Saber's, Hornady Critical defense and Speer Gold Dot's through mine. I have not had one single jam or failure to eject. It is 100% reliable up to this point and I must say it is an accurate little fire ball for such a small light weight pistol. The most accurate round I have tried has been the Golden Saber's.

ejfalvo

I have an LCP which I've put about 250 rounds thru using a variety of FMJ rounds - with no problem. When I was ready for SD I read onvarious posts including Elsiepea.com on recommendations for a round that would feed with no problem. After research, I purchased Speer Gold Dots, ran 2 boxes thru it with no problem and now carry with Gold Dots.

mec

try fmj bullets and if they work, don't worry about Instant Destroyer and Killer bullets . Also your Crimson Trace might have picked up some pocket fuzz. Used something like a q=tip to clean the thing and see if it looks better.
Very small pistols are problematic as to function but do pay attention to lubrication as mentioned several times above.

LockedBreech

Time for humble pie, folks,

Everyone who admonished me to RTFM was absolutely correct. A trip to Impact Guns and standard pressure Golden Sabers has rendered my LCP a joy to shoot and 100% reliable. Zero failures with standard pressure.

A humbling lesson learned. No matter how smart I think I am, I am not above reading the $)#@ instructions.

michael t

Their is no such thing as +P in 380 :rolleyes: SAAMI sets the standards for the firearm and ammo industry and they have never set any standards for 380.:eek: It ad hype or some body loading to point of being unsafe .:mad:
I have shot the devil out of Corbon for several years in my KelTec It will run right with these so called +P and it not . BB is good ammo but he needs to drop the +P hype It will be fine in your LCP if it feeds.

spanishjames

Regarding the CT Lasergrips

As a secondary issue...my Crimson Trace grips I have played with a lot before making it to the range. The beam was always extremely vibrant and bright. After four magazines, the beam is almost nonfunctional. Is it possible the CT grip was jarred, or does the battery have a short life?

I had the same problem with the laser grip beam becoming dim. I replaced the battery and all is well again.

MNman

I'm sorry to hear about your not so fun day with the LCP.

The LCP needs a thorough cleaning and polishing of the feed ramp (+mags) and at least 400 to 500 slide cycles. Most guns are reliable from the box, others aren't.

The recoil is sharp but you get used to it rather fast.

The LCP is remarkable accurate gun. With the laser you can easily shoot 1 groups from 10 yards. You just have to learn to master the long trigger pull.

It's not designed to shoot +P ammo. And, the ammo for the .380, if you find any, is extremely expensive, so I reload.

Both my wife and I have got one as a BUG, and we love the little bugger.

LCP is a fine gun.

BTW, I'd go for the Corbon FMJ for SD carry if it feeds well is your particular gun.

Good luck.

Laserlips

LS:

I would suggest you monitor (or join) the www.esliepeaforum.com... This is a dedicated LCP site, and IF a person owns an LCP this is a very good place to get input from other LCP owners.

Also, the elsiepea "store" offers LCP accessories you might have an interest in.

The only downside I've found to the LCP is they are HABIT FORMING.

I have a fine LWS380, and certainly didn't need another 380cal. mousegun, but kept reading such good stuff about Rugers P3AT clone I bought one..

Bad mistake..

My first LCP was perfect right out of the box.. Reliable, and surprisingly accurate.

I let my bride shoot it..

Bad mistake.

So we bought her one.. (Engraved model of course).

Also perfect right out of the box...

So we drove over yesterday to my favorite gun shop and bought a 3rd new LCP...

Certainly didn't need it.. But I wanted it... :D

Also perfect right out of the box...

Keep in mind that I'm a dedicated Seecamp lover, and my LWS380 is without a doubt the finest pistol I've ever owned... But for all practical purposes, I paid less for the THREE LCP's than I did my ONE LWS380.

I'm NOT knocking the fine Seecamp, just saying that I'd recommend the Ruger LCP without reservation to anyone looking for a very, very good 380cal. mousegun at a very, very reasonable price.

No wonder these little LCP's are flying off the shelves at any gun shop I've been in lately.

IMO Ruger expressed the most sincere form of flattery to KelTec with the introduction of the Ruger LCP... ;)

Jesse

100_1970.jpg

LockedBreech

Thank you all. :) The problem has been solved and I love my LCP now. I am also startlingly accurate with it for such a little gun!

booker_t

You might also try Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr JHP.

Between myself and three NYPD I shoot with, we've put well over 4,000 various rounds through our respective LCPs without failure. I will say that when I got mine, it was given a thorough cleaning, lubrication, dryfire/slide actuation, cleaning, lubrication.. only then did I actually shoot it. The fit & finish isn't outstanding, but they get into a groove with a little use. My personal favorite "mousegun," aside from the Colt Detective.

Last edited: