At a crossroads....CZP07 OR SIG SP2022

wild cat mccane

I'll say it.

CGW exists because CZ stock triggers are crap. Yep. Crap. Reset is long, DA is heavy, no defined break point. CZ does not live up to the internet hype even half. Everything a particular CZ model does, others do too. I'm a previous SP-01 Tactical owner too.

:)

At this price point, consider the PX4 too.

I've owned the P-09. Meh. Backstrap system is weird. Pull was long and reset was long in SA.

Sig 2022 is a bit wide. The 2022 is better than the standard/Extreme P226 trigger, but it is not a Sig Enhanced Elite SRT ($800 at CDNN right now) level good.

I dislike the PX4 because it is more "T" shaped than most guns--ie too vertical in the grip to slide. Beretta sells a 95 dollar competition trigger group. Should improve the trigger.

$100 more and you do get the HK P30. Having owned the P30L, it's good.

So, having owned all (P-09 vs the P-07), you don't go wrong either way. Most people do not know CZ and reselling a CZ was the most difficult gun I've sold after changing my mind.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Factory triggers are irrelevant. All new firearm require a trigger job

More proof that anyone can say anything on the internet.

I'm sure 3rd party vendors loves this mentality - it drives people to line the vendors' pockets by pouring money into their firearms before they are even broken in (the only point at which you can accurately gauge the quality of the trigger).

That's not to say CGW triggers aren't great. They definitely are. But I've found that the vast majority of stock triggers in service-style pistols are perfectly adequate for the job one they are broken in, and, more importantly, once you shoot to proficiency and learn your gun.

Fishbed77

I don't think Mec Gar makes mags for the P-07, at least not duplicates of factory.

Mec Gar does not make P07 magazines, though I have found that their CZ75 mags do function well in the P07. However, they stick pretty far our of the grip and I wouldn't consider them for defensive use.

robert1804

I had a P-07 and still have a P-09. The P-07 had a fine trigger and good accuracy, but I never could shoot it as well as the P-09. I recently got to try my nephew's 2022. It was easier to shoot accurately than my 226 or 229 Sigs. The 2022 lacks the "cool" factor in some circles but it's often said to be Sig's best kept secret. I'm looking to buy a new 2022.

1hogfan83

I've owned a Sig 2022 but don't really remember the trigger. I currently carry a CGW P-01 and it's amazing! I remember two things I hated about it though. The sights are horrible from the factory and whoever says CZs are ergonomic is crazy. I did get to fondle a P-09 the other day at my LGS and that omega trigger is good enough to leave alone. The sights were really good too. I wouldn't mess with them. It was a really nice gun, not a M&P 2.0, but a nice gun.

Walt Sherrill

I've owned both the SIG P-2022 and the CZ P-07. Nothing wrong with the SIG P2022 and if you're a SIG enthusiast, you'll probably find it hard to NOT go the 2022 route.

I prefer the CZ P-07 (and despite having owned a large number SIGs over the years, am no longer a big SIG fan. I think they're well-made guns that just don't fit ME.)

I've got a P-07, have had bunches of 75-based CZs, some Witnesses, a lightly-tuned CZ-85 Combat, a number of Sphinx handguns (including a Sphinx SDP), and a custom AT-84s. I like the custom AT84s best, the SDP, next, and P-07 is a very close third. I just picked up a CZ P-10c, but haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet.

Re: P-07 and P-10c mags. I have an older P-07 Dut. The mags are very similar, but the mag release notches on the mag body needed to make both the older P-07 mags work in the P-10c aren't there.

You CAN use standard full-size CZ 75B mags in the P-07, but they don't fit as snuggly as the proper P-07 mags. (I haven't thought to try the standard CZ full-size 75B mags in the Sphinx SDP, because I've got plenty of mags that fit both the P-07 and Sphinx SDP. Using 75B mags might be a good fall-back (range use only) option -- as the Mec-Gar 75B mags are much less expensive.

I've found that the P-07 and Sphinx SDP mags are interchangeable, and I also found that Canik Stingray mags (a Turkish-made version of the 75B compact models), if you modify the top of the plastic baseplate just a hair (thinning it a bit), will also work in the SDP. These mags can SOMETIMES be found at a much lower price, but haven't seen them offered anywhere recently.

I wish Mec-Gar would introduce mags for these CZ and Sphinx guns, and for the H&K VP line... The factory mags for these guns seem to be made of some very rare precious metal, given their prices...

Last edited:

Fishbed77

I wish Mec-Gar would introduce mags for these CZ and Sphinx guns, and for the H&K VP line... The factory mags for these guns seem to be made of some very rare precious metal, given their prices...

I have since discovered that CZ P10C mags do indeed fit the P07 and function flawlessly. The only difference is a slightly beefier plastic baseplate on the P10C mag. This eliminates one of the major complaints with the P07, since P10C mags run about $28 versus close to $50 for P07 mags. Why CZ did not make the baseplates identical for both models (and why the price difference is so vast) is beyond me. This could have easily been done when designing the P10C.

Nothing wrong with the SIG P2022 and if you're a SIG enthusiast, you'll probably find it hard to NOT go the 2022 route.

If you are a SIG enthusiast, one route definitely worth looking into is a surplus P226. It seems a good many of these are coming onto the market lately, with German-made examples showing up well below $500 if you are willing to scour internet auctions (I picked up a 1991 West German rollmarked P226 last year for $410), and aren't put off by a little honest finish wear.

With some new springs, these pistols will are honestly superior to any new-production SIGs. Mec Gar mags for these are also quite inexpensive.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I have since discovered that CZ P10C mags do indeed fit the P07 and function flawlessly. The only difference is a slightly beefier plastic baseplate on the P10C mag. This eliminates one of the major complaints with the P07, since P10C mags run about $28 versus close to $50 for P07 mags. Why CZ did not make the baseplates identical for both models (and why the price difference is so vast) is beyond me. This could have easily been done when designing the P10C.

If you are a SIG enthusiast, one route definitely worth looking into is a surplus P226. It seems a good many of these are coming onto the market lately, with German-made examples showing up well below $500 if you are willing to scour internet auctions (I picked up a 1991 West German rollmarked P226 last year for $410), and aren't put off by a little honest finish wear.

With some new springs, these pistols will are honestly superior to any new-production SIGs. Mec Gar mags for these are also quite inexpensive.

Just a thought.
Yeah that matches my experience I gave earlier.

In looking at the two the reason for the beefier baseplate seemed to me to be because the grip hangs down further on the P10-C, and by this I mean the part that extends passed where the baseplates meet the grip and serves as a guide for the magazines (where the lanyard loop would go).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fishbed77

In looking at the two the reason for the beefier baseplate seemed to me to be because the grip hangs down further on the P10-C, and by this I mean the part that extends passed where the baseplates meet the grip and serves as a guide for the magazines (where the lanyard loop would go).

Yes - my point was that CZ could have easily designed the heel of the P10C grip to be about 1/16" shorter, with the slight bevel of the P07 heel, so that the mags could have been 100% identical. It would have required fewer molds for CZ and fewer part numbers to track.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Yes - my point was that CZ could have easily designed the heel of the P10C grip to be about 1/16" shorter, with the slight bevel of the P07 heel, so that the mags could have been 100% identical. It would have required few molds for CZ and fewer part numbers to track.
I heard they did it just to annoy you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jr24

It's obviously a mad world, because folks complaining about CZ ergonomics tend to be in the minority in my experience.
Primarily shooting Glocks and 1911s I do find the location and height of the beaver tail on the 75 series ouffputting when I pick one up, I want the tail higher and maybe a slightly different angle for my grip.

The P07 doesn't seem as bad and, yes, I know I could train my hands to "fit" with some practice.

Not a knock, just an observation

HistoryJunky

Mec Gar does not make P07 magazines, though I have found that their CZ75 mags do function well in the P07. However, they stick pretty far our of the grip and I wouldn't consider them for defensive use.
I want to second this for anyone considering the P07. 75 mags will work just fine for range use. Sometimes you can find them as cheap as 15 or 20 dollars.

Just use your factory P07 magazines to carry.

I have owned my Gen2 P07 for a year or so now. Probably 1000 through it. Perfectly reliable. Shoots flat and accurate. I carry it fairly frequently IWB. You won't forget its there but its doable.

I know nothing about the SP2022 other than holding it. Seemed ok.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

propforce

I was debating between a CZ P07 and a Sig SP2022, but a CZ Rami showed up with a good price so I snatched up that one instead. :)

Later I also got a SP2022 and am happy with it. Good trigger.

sparkyv

I have them both, Sterling, and they are both excellent firearms. I prefer the CZ a little more. It has a better trigger, it's slightly smaller, and has a great grip angle. Mags are pricy for both of them! :eek: