As a rule, would you buy a modified revolver?

Biff Tannen

It won't be worth more with a modification like that. It may even be worse off for the wear.
As a rule, (for handguns) I personally really don't like modified firearms, I just don't like anyone I don't know monkeying around with my gun haha.
I like buying as close to factory specs as possible.

9ballbilly

^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^

I've never bought any firearm new or used that was modified from factory specs. IMO too many issues. I much prefer to make any mods myself or have them done by someone I know to be competent.

SaxonPig

Depends on what was done, how it was done, does it fit my needs/wants and does the price reflect its condition.

"Lightened the trigger." How? A professional action tuning or some yokel with a file? If the gun safely functions this modification would be a good thing in my book. If the pull is too light, or "push off" is a problem, then the gun is unacceptable.

About 22 years ago I bought a S&W M19 from a retired federal officer. Damn thing had about a one ounce SA trigger pull. Paid a smith to restore a sane trigger pull.

Got this about 2 years back. Obviously modified, but still a fun shooter (what I wanted) and the $159 price reflected its condition. For some reason a large number of revolvers in 32-20 caliber are seen with bulged barrels. I mean a lot of them are bulged. No idea why. This one was obviously chopped after suffering the same fate. I think it's kinda cute. I call it my Detective Special on steroids.

standard.jpg

lee n. field

As a rule, would you buy a modified revolver?
Hello all fellow posters,
I have been going too many times to my LGS lately since I got the revolver bug. They have had couple of tempting revolvers but I have been holding on for another .357.

They had a 686, 4 inch barrel that the owner had lightened the trigger. It had a great trigger but somehow I prefer guns that have not been modified.

As a hole, are modified revolver worth less or more?

Two different questions there.

The answer to both is, that depends.

Replace the grips? Who cares, easy to fix.

Do work I would have had done anyway, documentably done by a reputable person? Yeah, I'd buy it.

Work done by who knows who? Probably not.

The only case where one would be worth more, to me, would be a plain low end gun turned into some wonderful and specialized piece by a reputable and well known individual.

SIGSHR

An action job really doesn't define modification for me, as others have noted, the parts are fairly easy to replace.

rclark

An action job really doesn't define modification for me, as others have noted, the parts are fairly easy to replace.
Bingo. Same here. Now if the barrel has been sawed off with a hacksaw to shorten the barrel ... I'd pass on it.

savit260

Depends on who did the work.

Bob's gunsmithing down the street???? or Hamilton Bowen, Alan Harton, Jim Stroh, Dave Clements etc.

Who did the work makes a BIG difference in the value/price of the revolver.

I'd have no problem buying a use revolver built by one of the top tier gunsmiths.... Bob's backyard gunsmithing will probably get a pass from me.

MR.G

Only if I knew who did the work, and what was done. Work done by an expert might be a plus. Work done by an amateur might ruin the gun. If someone just changed the springs to lighten the trigger pull that is ok.

sixgunluv

Modified

Trigger work and 'modified' don't mean the same to me.....this is my 'modified' Super Blackhawk Bisley.... which i'm about to modify again to a Super Blackhawk Dragoon. :)

Attachments

• Ruger Super BlackHawk Bisley Sweet 16.JPG
    Ruger Super BlackHawk Bisley Sweet 16.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 17

Jbar4Ranch

It just makes me cringe when a seller puts "action job" in his description. I've bought single actions a couple times that I literally could not feel my finger contact the trigger before the hammer fell. If it's had an "action job" by some gun club's resident gun guy, it better be priced less than a comparable revolver w/o the "action job".

Now, if said "action job" can be documented as having been performed by one of a handful of top pistolsmiths, such as Oglesby & Oglesby, John Linebaugh, Gary Reeder, Hamilton Bowen, or Ben Forkin, to name a few... well, that's a different story.

WardenWolf

Depends. I bought a revolver that had been completely refinished. It was a Smith & Wesson M&P .38 that someone had grey Parkerized. I bought it full well knowing this, because I liked the finish. I was actually looking for a S&W Victory model at the time, but then this showed up for even cheaper than the current going rate for a Victory. What a snag. It has the wide target trigger, with a very light single action trigger. I installed WW2 Victory grips on it for better look and comfort.

SWM&P2 by WardenWolf1982, on Flickr

BWM

LOOK at what they are sailing on GUN BROKERS That is a good price. That leaves room to replace some trigger parts.

jglsprings

I feel pretty confident in my ability to "check out" a revolver. I've never turned one down just because it was "modified".

I've passed on a number of them because I detected problems or didn't like the exterior condition.

In fifty four years I've never been burned either. YMMV.

If you don't know what to look for print out the sticky on how to check out a revolver.

savit260

If you don't know what to look for print out the sticky on how to check out a revolver

That's all well and good if you have the revolver in hand.

If you're buying off an auction site, or over the internet, I'd tend to shy away from stuff that was modified by anyone other than top well known smiths.

Of course with a 3 day inspection you might not get burned too badly, but you'll still end up eating the shipping both ways if you get a clam.

WC145

I like buying older custom/modified guns, revolvers and autos, that are representative of the way handguns were individualized for carry before the factories were making every configuration under the sun. While I prefer guns that were built by name 'smiths or shops, I will take a chance on something worked over by an unknown source if the price is right and the gun strikes my fancy. I also have factory original guns modified to meet my needs/desires.
Here's a few of my favorite revolvers-

This is a S&W 25-2 .45ACP built by Austin Behlert around 1980 before S&W saw the light and started making their own large frame snubbies. It started life with a 6" barrel and square grip frame.
SDC11834.JPG

This one is a S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman that was customized for an IL LEO by Marc Krebs around 1987. Originally a 6", square butt, .357mag, it received many mods and custom touches, including being converted to .45ACP using an M25 barrel and cylinder, and having the grip frame round butted. Called the "CROWBAR", the custom grips have ivory inserts with little crowbars scrimshawed into them.
SDC10203.JPG

Mag-na-port built 250 of these custom Charter Arms Bulldog .44spls in the late '70s and called it the "BACKPACKER", mine is #128. Interestingly, one was pictured on the cover of Mag-na-port Catalog No. 1 but did not receive a mention in the catalog itself. They took a standard 3" Bulldog and, among other mods, cut and ported the barrel, bobbed the hammer, and hard chromed it. It's a terrific gun for "up close and personal" use.
SDC11682.JPG

No idea who did the work on this S&W 1937/1917 Brazilian .45ACP but they knew what they were doing and took their time. The barrel was cut to slightly over 3" and nicely crowned, the front replaced, the hammer was bobbed and serrated so it could still be cocked and lowered safely, and the action smoothed. A great example of a big revolver modified for carry/self defense back when the wheel gun was king.
DSCF0040.jpg

k in AR

I purchased a 686 Classic Hunter a few years back. Looked good & felt good in the store... but had to replace the hammer after a trip to the range. The previous owner had almost totally ground the notch out of the hammer trying to lighten the trigger.... go figure? (just bump the hammer and it went bang) I look a whole lot closer before I leave the store with a used gun now.