AR's

S&W M&Ps are nice plinkers. The thing of it is, you are within spitting distance of a Colt 6920 for that price point. With the Colt you get an out-of-the-box fighting/patrol rifle that has the things you mentioned the S&W lacking: forward assist, dust cover, etc.

Mobuck

That is all I need to build one?

That's all the parts needed to ASSEMBLE a working rifle. Ain't no building involved.

4runnerman,

That's it. The whole shebang. Buy those parts, read about/watch videos, put the right parts together, and you have an AR.

ARs break down into several sub assemblies. The two main ones are the upper and the lower. The lower is serialized, controlled by the ATF and other law enforcement agencies. It includes the trigger group, a buffer tube, stock, and the housing for all of those parts. An upper binds to the lower via two pins, contains the barrel, handguard, and the Bolt Carrier Group (or BCG, as it is commonly known).

To assemble an AR typically involves putting an upper and lower together, setting the two takedown pins, and voila, a rifle. This particular upper comes without the BCG and charging handle, both of which slot easily into the back of the upper without tooling.

Ibmikey

The PSA kit described is pre assembled so as indicated all you need to do is snap the halves together. I would suggest the purchase of a S&W Sport which is a premium rifle for the money and backed by S&W's reputation. The Sport is a well made and accurate rifle that will last your lifetime. I have a Sport and love shooting it, also have at least a dozen rifles with various PSA components (a couple complete PSA) and if buying "premium" parts you cannot go wrong.

TMD

It amazes me on how many people think the "GOLD STANDARD" is low bidder on a government contract.

Taco-XL

I agree TMD, and the term 'mil-spec' gets thrown around as if it too is the be-all in quality. GI or mil-spec means its the highest quality that meets the government specs, at the lowest price...doesnt mean its always THE best. It does what they ask and nothing more. I have an AR15 i built that is way higher quality than any GI gun, but i paid more $$ too. Everything is a balancing act as to what you want/need in your rifle. Higher quality usually means busting out the check book.