Are your shirts long enough to conceal first OWB?

JERRYS.

square hemmed shirts are meant to be worn un-tucked, such as "bowling" shirts and the like. unless you wear your pants unusually low these types of shirts will cover most service sized guns OWB. the real issue is the view from the front or back. if your gut is the same size as your chest (or bigger) you will show the tattle tale sighs of something on your hip.

JohnKSa

Administrator
None met JohnKSa's rule of thumb.
In the interest of full disclosure I did not come up with that rule on my own. I believe I first heard this rule from Sheriff Jim Wilson. Either during one of his appearances on a TV show and/or from one of his articles. He stated it as if it were general knowledge, not as if it were something he had discovered himself through experimentation.

He provided it along with some other nuggets of wisdom regarding carrying a pistol. The others I recall were: Always use a good quality belt and always use a holster made specifically for the size belt and the particular model of gun you carry.

Stevie-Ray

I wear any kind of shirt to cover my Kimber UCDP in Don Hume JIT slide. Barrel barely comes down farther than bottom of belt. My shirts and sweatshirts all more than cover that. Problem is being "outed" by other CC'ers, as they are really the only ones to notice, but then they don't care, either. If I've a too short shirt on that rides up a bit, when I sit down for example, I still don't worry as I live in a fairly gun-friendly area, and OC is legal here, anyway.

I wear a lot of vests. Not "tactical" looking vests, but anything from a denim vest to a fishing-type vest. I just tell people that as I get older and need more tools to plow through life, I need a lot of pockets.

EIGHTYDUECE

I normally wear a Large tee-shirt. After getting my CHL, I went to XLarge tees. My criteria was raising my arms straight up and the bottom of the tee-shirt still covered the holster and gun. Going a shirt size larger solves the length issue but some shirts are tighter around the waist area than others and that can cause issues with a OWB holster.

mete

Woven shirts are always better than knitted ! Work shirts that are longest AFAIK are Dickies and Red Kap. A larger size may be better.
Most people are oblivious to anyone carrying. The ones who are looking are Cops and BGs and paranoid gun nuts !!:p

Frankly

When I'm going business casual I wear polo shirts with excess length. Covers anything up to a full-sized 45 acp in a blackhawk serpa CQC holster...

On the rare occasions when I go business-formal, I use a shoulder harness and pack a dirty-harry revolver in it...

When I'm on a ride with the neighborhood bike gang, I let it all hang out.

How concerned you need to be about your weapon showing really depends on where you live. Where I live, everybody knows that everybody's packin' and that's why we have the lowest violent crime rate in the nation...

Shadi Khalil

None of my clothing is really OWB appropriate and sometimes have trouble hiding my mag pouch. For that reason I've switched over to AIWB, which allows me to carry pretty much anything (within reason) wearing almost any shirt. I do carry OWB on occasion and with a snug against the body, high riding holster and good belt it can be pulled off with my normal attire.

Skans

No, my shirts are not long enough. They are ALWAYS tucked in and this is why I cannot carry OWB or IWB. I opt for pocket carry.

I am 6' 4" so normal xl and 2xl shirts are only long enough through the fist washing.

Walmart does carry Dickies clothing. I have been buying the XL Tall that they carry.
These are more than long enough to conceal a IWB holster.

Shirt to conceal

It's going to be Summer soon. I've
Found that my old Golf Shirts are plenty
long and will conceal almost any
lenght weapon. Plenty of room in the
waist so nothing shows. In Fl. For a
few days and am carrying my
GP100 4.2 inch quite easily IMHO.
Doc

banditgriot

I don't carry at work in dress clothes. I find it easy to conceal in casual clothes and I don't like baggy clothing. One of the main reasons I bought a Glock 43 is to have the option of pocket carry this summer for times I want to wear a fitted shirt that doesn't cover my belt line at all times. Appendix carry work really well in concealing my Glock 19 and winter clothes allow for even OWB carry.