Are your shirts long enough to conceal first OWB?

Other than making multiple trips to an Academy etc, wearing several sports shirts (you already have), how can you estimate that you can 'wear' into a cafe, and sit down without the appearance of a holster being revealed?

My only carry,, so to speak, has been in the car console, but that doesn't really count. I can't imagine that an IWB would be bearable, sitting with my Sig 232, EG Mak., CZ-82 etc. Will not change guns....

Does any info on various holsters indicate the approx. length they extend Below the average belt, for concealed OWB carry? If so, at least you could measure various shirt lengths below the belt, before buying one.

Last edited:

longspurr

"If so, at least you could measure various shirt lengths below the belt, before buying one.
Last edited by Ignition Override; Today at 11:17 PM. "

Simply measuring will not tell a complete story. Shirt - or other covering garment - will go up and down on the body when bending to sit or reaching for something. The only effective way is to have the shirt and gun/holster on at home. Have someone watch as you do normal things involving sitting down, reaching across a table, getting into and out of a vehicle etc..

A tight fitting garment will have a tendency to rise up and hook on the gun butt while being active. Additionally if you have a belly, the belt & gun will work down on the body as you are active, unless you have it uncomfortably tight.

All of those variations with movement are true.
And so guys usually buy just one holster at a time, and hope for the best, or are certain brands known to sit higher above the belt?

On Youtube, it appeared that 'Alien Gear' gives us the chance of a shirt not needing to be extra long, Panamanian style.

Deaf Smith

I use Wal-Mart Dockers short sleeve shirts to conceal my Glock 26 or S&W 19 2 1/2 inch snub with belt slide holsters.

Use that set up daily.

Deaf

JohnKSa

Administrator
The general rule of thumb is that if your shirt hangs at least 6" below the lowest item you wish to conceal (be it the holster or part of the gun) then it should provide decent concealment through the normal range of activities. Sitting, bending, getting in and out of the car, reaching up, etc.

Of course, if you're carrying a large gun and wearing a close-fitting shirt that's a solid, light color and made of thin material, the gun may be covered but it likely won't be concealed.

Prints/patterns conceal better than solid colors, dark colors better than light colors, looser fits better than close fits and thicker materials better than thin materials. Thicker material also doesn't ride up as easily and tends to do better in the wind.
I can't imagine that an IWB would be bearable, sitting with my Sig 232, EG Mak., CZ-82 etc. Will not change guns...
A 232 should be pretty comfortable in the right position with a good IWB holster and a good belt. I carry a gun that's close to the 232 in size IWB on a regular basis and find it comfortable.

peggysue

I just use a regular pocket T-shirt and a OTB holster on my right side. With short barrel firearm not much sticks out below the belt. It does take a good belt and holster. For me it is the most comfortable, accessable, and secure way to carry my CCW's. I have never had an issue for 40 years. No one ever notices if it just happens to peak out. When i first started to carry I was more paranoid about it.

Last edited:

AK103K

I can't imagine that an IWB would be bearable, sitting with my Sig 232, EG Mak., CZ-82 etc. Will not change guns....
IWB takes a little getting used to, but once you find your sweet spot, I think youll find its very comfortable, and one of the best ways to keep your gun out of sight. Nothing shows below the belt, and no need to buy bigger pants either.

Ive carried full size handguns that way daily for over 40 years now with no problems . The guns you list would be no problem at all.

You should also check out AIWB. Its very effective, and fast.

Auto5

Some of my shirts that fit well when new have since shrunk from repeated washings (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and are shorter now. I bought a few "tall" or "long" sizes. They looked a little oversized when I first bought them, but now have shrunk a little to perfect size.

Jim Watson

You could check Duluth Trading Co. Their shirts are 3" longer than standard to avoid "plumber's butt." I don't wear them for concealment but to stay tucked in better.

Limnophile

You can replicate all your public movements at home with you and a family member or friend noting whether your holster and gun are showing or printing. I usually carry a CZ 83 OWB. Throught most of the year it is easy to cover. In warm weather a t-shirt overlain by a short-sleeve shirt, even unbottoned, is good enough. Avoid cheap shirts with short tails, or shirts tailored to look nice untucked as the tails are short. If you need more length, Jim's idea of Duluth Trading's long-tailed tees is a good one. You can also buy from outlets that offer tall sizes.

A few weeks ago we had a warm day. I donned a t-shirt that was one size too big for me and fit me like an obscenely short mini dress -- it concealed my gun just fine on its own.

AK103K

I just got a bunch of decent "Faded Glory" Polo's from Walmart for $8 each. They are full cut and plenty long.

Walmart is a good place to try different things for cheap. Your not out a bunch if they dont. You can also try them on and see right there.

Ive bought a good bit of stuff from Deluth over the years, and its good stuff, but they sure are proud of their stuff, and its priced accordingly.

heyjoe

tee shirts, no because the gun prints when carried OWB even if the shirt is long enough . Buttoned shirts or western snap shirts yes depending on the shirt.

Dragline45

My shirts are long enough to conceal an OWB holster, but any bit of movement or bending over and the shirt rides its way up exposing the holster. I have been carrying my Glock 17 OWB with an XL zipper hooded sweatshirt over it, and even with that when I sit down or walk around the bottom of the holster shows.

old bear

O/P, as others have suggested IWB takes some getting used to, but soon it becomes second nature.

As for testing shirts, try, at home, wearing shirts that you think would provide cover. Then have someone watch you as you walk, sit, bend over, and all the normal things one does. Good Luck

Shirts

Maybe this sounds stupid, but 99%
Of the public generally has no idea
That you are carrying a concealed
Weapon. Point in question. When I
Went For my permit, I had absolutely no
Idea that my instructor had a in-
Side the pants holster with a gun
On him. His comment to our class
Was just that. Nobody can tell and if
They see a bulge, they think it's
A colostomy bag or something
Like that. The only ones that know
I'm carrying are Police people.
So, don't wear skin tight shirts
Or short tops. Use your brain if
You are going to carry. in Tennessee
Almost anything that walks carries
A gun except my Poodle.

Last edited:
I started carrying OWB last summer for reasons of comfort, and I started making it a point to wear the longest shirts that I had. None met JohnKSa's rule of thumb.

Later in the year, a new state preemption law prevented counties and municipalities from forbidding open carry. I did not change to open carry, but I worried less about incidental exposure.

However, the other day one of the employees at our favorite grocery told me that a young lady who worked there had noticed my gun and had been very unnerved about it. Whether I was printing or whether the shirt tail had been too short is not clear to me.

In any event, I am now more careful about shirt length, and I have ordered some more shirts in "tall" sizes.

db4570

I don't worry about printing too much, because I agree that most people just don't notice, and could assume it is something else.

But I have been busted bending over, in this case to get something out of my car trunk, and the back of my shirt rode up and my pistol in its IWB were fully exposed.

Many suggest dressing to accommodate the gun, but for many that is just not possible. I need to dress a certain way because, in my business, if I don't, I'll stick out like a sore thumb.

I have unusual proportions and have to get my shirts tailored, anyway. So I think I am going to start experimenting with longer shirt tails. Or maybe carry my CCW when my tailor measures me so he can see my dilemma.

David

Limnophile

Nobody can tell and if
They see a bulge, they think it's
A colostomy bag or something
Like that.

I've never seen "colostomy bag" used in poetry before.

Considering that about 4,000,000 handguns are sold each year, while only about 50,000 ostomies are performed each year, the assumption that a bulge is the latter is not a good one.