Are you really just paying for a name?

9mm

Of all the popular revolver brands, S&W, Taurus, Ruger...etc.,is there a real big difference in the quality? I've shot a few snubs and medium frame of each brand and they all feel and shoot the same. I'm asking because I'm doing some research for my father thats looking for a revolver and I really don't have an answer to why a s&w can be twice as much as any other, other than the name itself.

Woah woah woah, why is taurus in there.
Yes mainly it's for the name. I am not going buy a colt 1911 for $900~$1000
I am looking at a SA 1911 mil spec @$620

But when buying guns like a Charter arms/Taurus / Rossie, they are priced at around $80 cheaper than a S&W revolver, which it's much better to pay for the $80 more and get one.

S&W is not twice as much unless your looking at the $750 360 pd models. Thats because it shoots 357's. If you are talking about the 617 .22lr @$650 vs a Taurus model 94 @ $299 Taurus guns have a lot of problems. S&W 637/442/638 are priced around $350~$400 where I live. If someone is trying soak you for $450+++ then you need to go to a gun show or some online dealer.

I have heard tons of bad reviews from Taurus gun owners, I havn't heard much on Charter/Rossie, I wouldn't use these guns for self defence but only range guns. I am pretty sure my life is worth an extra $80

You might also pay extra for the life warrenty.

Last edited:

hydroholic

Smith and Wesson of the past are great. Newer stuff although better than a lot of guns out there, not as good as they were in the past. Don't get me wrong they are good guns but way over priced and way over hyped. Rugers are built better in my opinion and cost much less. I have owned a few Smiths and liked them and would buy again, although not new and pay their crazy price.

Hydro

9mm

I agree I think Ruger are the best revolvers out there, S&W just been around a very long time though.

I wish Ruger would make a revolver under 15oz like the sp101. I know the LCR but I have heard a few problems with those.

Gp100~Sp101 are the best revolvers out there I believe.

jrhilde

I've owned all three, I have two GP100's and a Redhawk at present, but awhile back I let 6" L frame slip away from me and of course regret it now, but I'd like to ask the forum, other than the new hammer lock, in what way are they inferior to the earlier Smith's? I'm asking because I've heard this from at least two different gun shop owners and a fair number of other shooters--what has actualyy changed? the materials, workmanship, fit and finish? I've looked at a good many new Smith's lately and at least outwardly, I see no difference, but then the last one I shot was my L frame, I've not had the chance to shoot any of the newer ones--is it just that they don't have the smooth action and feel of the previous models---John

jmr40

Smith and Ruger are quite a bit better than Taurus. A Smith will cost you a lot more than a Ruger, but may not really be that much better. But down the road the Smith will always hold a higher percentage of it's value.

As a tool the Ruger may be the better choice. As an investment, the Smith will cost less in the long run. When you, your kids or grandchildren sell it, the return will be much greater on a Smith & Wesson.

VancMike

FWIW, I agree with the S&W lovers and disagree with the Taurus haters.

But what I really want to see is what firearms EdInk would compare to Toyota and Nissan pickups......;) :p

fdreano

I've started regular carry with my Taurus .38spl 851 (17 oz) and parked my Ruger LCR in the safe. Sorry - that Taurus fits my hand, locks up like a vault, has enough "heft" to dampen the recoil and also can be fired single action.

Its a very nice gun...no its not a "safe queen" to be photographed and brag about the perfect finish....just a reliable daily "work horse".

thinkingman

I have SW (686-3) Ruger rimfires from 1959 and 1986, and Taurus Ti Tracker all in my safe right now and all get shot regularly.
The SW is a fine piece of work, beautiful, functional, crisp and refined.

The Rugers look like they were milled and not finished, functional, accurate, nothing fine about their appearance, triggers were rough and gritty until I did a little garage gunsmithing...to their credit Ruger rimfires are pretty friendly to someone with a basic grasp of mechanics.

My Taurus Ti Tracker is well-finished, functions perfectly, extremely accurate, and the trigger in single-action is nearly as perfect as my SW, double-action not quite but perfectly acceptable....could use an overtravel screw but it's not meant to be a range gun. One chamber extract a bit more roughly than the others but doesn't detract from the intended purpose.

Sometimes you DO pay for a name, and others will jealously defend the reputation of a manufacturer....ask me how impressed I am with my last two Toyota purchases and watch everyone jumps to defend them and talk about how great they are.
I've paid $50k to learn how not-so-great they are.

L_Killkenny

Have to agree with Jim March on this one. But there is more to it. You are also paying for an american made product with the Rugers and Smiths over the Taurus' and that does come at a price. Right or wrong. But there's no way I'm gonna put much faith in internet gossip about quality. Take the Taurus for instance. There have been many many owners that have been completely satisfied with multiple products for me not to believe that a majority of them do just fine going bang. If all i had was a taurus budget I might look at em but a used ruger will be a better or as good of choice so I lean that way.

Things get much more muddled when comparing Ruger to S&W. Both are reliable, have good service and are american made. Is the S&W slightly more refined? Yes. As much as their extra cost would indicate? Not a chance. You do pay more for the S&W stamp.

But the fact is the only time people really know the answers is to experience things themselves. Buying crap vs good and living and learning is part of life. Suck it up. The only way I'll ever know if taurus, ruger or smith are bad or good is to experience it myself.

LK

Cascade1911

Just to respond to 30-30remchester's post:

Ruger makes great use of investment (lost wax) castings. AFAIK (I'm a engineer in a investment foundry and have been privileged to tour their facility) they make no use of sand castings. Pine Tree Casting (Rugers Foundry) is probably one of the best in the world when it comes to firearm castings.

S&W purchased KW Thompson several years ago, not quite as good a foundry as Pine Tree but a good facility. They are in the process of (if my information is correct) of consolidating the casting biz in Springfield.

Last edited:

Thlax

Yes and no...

Just when you buy a rolex (if you do), it's a hell of a watch....but for craftsmanship and movements there are others that are a better value you for you $$....but it's not a rolex.

After never having held a SW before, I found out my uncle has a SW617 (10 shot .22 with 4" barrel) that he would let me borrow for a couple months,,,.wow.....it's gorgeous. Amazing.. When I bring it back to him I will probably ask him if he would sell it to me (as he has so many pistols) and if not it's next on my list.

ThomasT

Like most of you I have owned all 3 brands of guns. And like most of you I much prefer the older smith & wessons. They just have a feel you don't seem to get in the new guns.

I love my rugers and for the most part they are very satisfactory guns. I do have 3 of the single sixes that the frame and grip frame are not perfectly matched up. These are the blued models with the alloy frames. The steel gripped guns are always just about perfect.

I have owned 10 or so taurus guns and never had a part break or any kind of malfuction. My problem has been that on all but two of those guns the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel. You could run a rod down the barrel and have it catch on one side of the cylinder but not the other. I have also had one model 82 that had light strikes on the primer. That is easy to fix just by taking a small amount of metal off the hammer nose so you get a little more firing pin protrusion.

I do have a blued steel model 85 that seems to be just about perfect. The timing is right and the cylinder matches the barrel as well as any revolver I own. I would buy another taurus if the price were right and I could look at the gun in person. I will not buy a taurus off the internet gun sales since I don't know what I am getting.

10 Beers

After a lifetime of claiming he didn't believe in guns my 75yr old father changed his mind after the burglery two houses down the street. I put a dozen or so likely pieces on the patio table and told him to pick one out. Of course he went straight for my 1st gen model 60 with the pinned barrel. I almost cried but I'm happy knowing he has a quality gun in the house. Even people who've never seen a gun know name brand from generic.