Are red dot scopes fun?

pgdion

They're fun on the right gun. I put one on a VTR and I love it. On the other hand, I'd never want one on my bolt action .22Mag. My son put one on my 22A for leagues (as most in the .22 leagues shoot with red dots). I still prefer just the plain old iron sights on my NEOS myself.

L_Killkenny

I can't stand optics of any sort on a handgun. Takes almost all the reasons I like using a handgun, at the range or in the field, away. My eyes aren't what they were 10 years ago and I hate to imagine what they will be in another 10 but the day I can't see the sights for "good enough" shooting at the ranges I like today I'll shorten things up. Get's to the point where I can't even do that? I'll stop shooting handguns all together before I put optics on them. I won't own a long gun without optics but never on a handgun. Tried it and hated every minute of it.

LK

I think they are OK for target practice at a certin range, but because they are higher up if you take a few steps closer to the target or farther they need more adjustment or they will be way off.

That's part of the reason I don't like AR platform guns.

darkgael

range

I think they are OK for target practice at a certin range, but because they are higher up if you take a few steps closer to the target or farther they need more adjustment or they will be way off.

That may depend on the gun. I have a red dot on my High Standard and there is no need for me to adjust it at the ranges at which I shoot. It works at 50 feet. It works at 50 yards.
Now....a .45....that is a different story.

I hope I never get old.
Well....the alternative is pretty severe.
Pete

10 Beers

I love them on long guns and 22 cal space pistols like my Walther and Neos. After all, those two guns look like a science project all ready. My AR points really fast with one but it wouldn't be on there if it blocked the iron sights. I never even thought about putting one on my centerfire handguns, I just don't think they look right and they block the irons.