Are our gun collections really investments????

Battler

Gun laws (at least as long as they keep grandfathering and not confiscating) make some guns more valuable.

Look at the "standards" some handguns have to meet in Cali/Maryland - I'm sure a "pre-ban" Glock will have its charms.

Preban magazines are good; but have you been following the import bans, and that which the prohibitionists put in the S&W deal? Guns that can TAKE high-caps won't be around forever - you can bet your bottom dollar they will add the rifle import ban criteria to even domestic manufacture.

Battler.

mcshot

I haven't lost on a gun yet other than I want the ones back that I sold. If you get good stuff and take care of it it will be an investment. I remember the first Ruger Mark 1 (POS) that I bought in the sixties with a red label. It cost me about $40. and sells for a lot more today. Same with my $110. Browning Medalist, $125. Colt SAA, $150. Savage/Anchutz 54 Sporter and $200. Win 101 trap gun.
This is a nightmarish thread as I think back.

------------------
"In my opinion, anyone pushing through anti-gun legislation is a bloody traitor and should be sent up for treason" N.H. Stuart

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Muleshoe,

A standard Model 12 NIB runs about $700, so those guns are "worth" more than $85. But in 1964, I bought a brand new Ford Fairlane for $2700. In real terms, I suspect you are right about the guns being about the same value as they were in 1960.

Jim

MountainGun44

They hold their value better than cars and computers. They keep pace with inflation, at least.

They are not part of my retirement portfolio, except for the fact that they will provide me with many recreational opportunities for the cost of ammo.

What else can you buy today that will last a lifetime, provide so many benefits and not become obsolete?

hoosierboy

If and when they ban guns and It might happen, then watch the price go up. That is what I am betting on.

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html
Member NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, and CCRKBA.

roundabout

hey.
Imyself am in the buy hi sell low school.
The time I think they will be worth something is when there is a big flood or an earth quake, etc. If your family is hungry, and there are no supplies available, how much would a .22 and a box of shells be worth? Or maybe the 870 with the blueing half gone and the stock a little discolored, along with a box of shells? I have a 1963 Win mod59 with the winlite bbl in good shape. I shoot it a lot, but it is not worth much. Am I glad to have it? Yes. Is it WORTH more to me than a days wages? Yes. Maybe the worth is not its monetary value, but that you place on it. If the worth to you is more than the money you can get for it, keep the piece. Just my opinion, that and a buck will get you a cup of coffee at Dennys.
Have a good evening.

------------------

Use your head, don't believe everything you hear, and never come out on the bottom.

taco

Early last year I saw a young fellow at a pawn shop buying 6 S&W Model 10 police trade-ins for $200 a piece. The shop owner asked the fellow what he was going to do with these revolvers and he said that on January 1, 2000 he would be selling them to people who didn't get a gun for the Y2K disaster. He figured that he can sell a revolver and a box of ammo for $1,000 to his "friends" and $2,000 to strangers :rolleyes: He said he was going around to all the local pawn shops and gun shops to buy as many of the police trade-ins as possibles.

I guess that was pretty bad investment.

Rome

Hey, guys and girls, let me put this into the correct perspective for you:

Buying a gun that you shoot for "investment" is not much different than buying a diamond for your wife from a jeweler who says it's an "investment". Has anyone out there ever, ever, ever asked her to "trade it in" or sell it because the market is hot? Not if you want to be around tomorrow!

Actually, I'll bet there is a single-digit percentage of gunowners out there who trade in this stratosphere. Most of us just try to buy what we like to shoot and maybe "move up" by trading less desirable pieces what we own, at a loss, and applying it to a more expensive or sophisticated piece. I've done this with lower quality pistols I've purchased as I've gained experience in this sport. Trading up is fun and provides you with the ability to decide what caliber, quality level, and brands you like. Eventually you end up with a very personal selection of pistols/rifles you're comfortable with. After a while you'll purchase a particular model brand new but only after you've 'test driven' a similar model for a little while. I've done just that and have been very happy with my selections. I don't, however, buy for investment and won't sell anything I've come to like and have good confidence in.

Rome